Monarchs 2016 Regular Season

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by GoRSL, Mar 25, 2016.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    warranty on his glass legs expired

TheBiff and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked all over for a report on his injury, I am hoping it was non related to any previous injury.

3. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is foot soreness and he came off to be precautionary.

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Looked like they had his hamstring wrapped before he subbed out

5. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup vs. the OC Blues

Attached Files:

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very exciting comeback win at Sacramento tonight - gave up goals in the 50 something and 50 other something, then scored three in the last twenty minutes.

RSLer repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody watch Baez with the Monarchs tonight? The team won 2-1 over Timbers 2.

9. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played ok, about 10 minutes, didn't make much of an impact other than a few nice touches.

Ismitje repped this.
  10. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baez didn't come on until the 82nd minute and (surprise!) wasn't able to get too involved before the game ended. His touches were not USL touches though, so that's something. The highlight of the night was Leo the HENDRIX Lion shredding the national anthem on electric guitar! Skip to the 6:00 mark:

RoyalNonesuch and Ismitje repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why isn't Velazco with the first team? Why did we move injury prone Schuler up at CB?

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I ever invest my time into something wherein Leo is the highlight, I will have invested badly.

13. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'd love to see him get some minutes with the senior squad. His work rate is high and he's a decent passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  14. Ryantherusskie

Mar 17, 2006
    Where it's kept Real
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if anyone watched the Monarchs v Tulsa on Saturday, but I had a few RSL-related thoughts -

1. Velazco should get a trial with RSL. Looks more like Javi's heir than Jordan Allen, to me.
    2. Sunny looked rusty AF. Had a couple of really bad giveaways, including a horrible backpass (or amazing through pass to the other team's forward, if you rather) which led to Tulsa's only goal.
    3. I was really impressed with Amass Amankona. Looks like a Joao Plata clone. Quick, clever, tenacious. His size will likely prevent him from making a significant impact, unless he gets stronger.
    4. Pedro Baez showed flashes of great ability, but mostly played like a 19 year old. I think RSL should try to hang on to him. He has good size, average pace, but great touch on the ball/instincts.
    5. Schuler looked ok. Slower and less sure of himself, though. I've always thought he had an awkward look about him when he played. A little hunched over, kind of gangly movement. But his reflexes and athleticism always saved him. If he's lost a step, that doesn't bode well for his future with RSL.

El-ahrairah, RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  15. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Ryantherusskie

Mar 17, 2006
    Where it's kept Real
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boom. What other black magic can we weave on here to get the FO to do our bidding? :D

SenordrummeR2 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  17. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Velazco has been pretty good on working with the other players, but superior on his shots this season. Really nice placement on his shots - very Javi-like on that. He hasn't matched up to Javi on playmaking, but maybe he can pick some of that up.

Baez has looked pretty dynamic and energetic - but - his choices to take on defenders hasn't been backed up by skill. He needs more time with Burrito to learn the ball-skills or learn to do the Plata-Javi-Burrito pass and move plays.

I agree that Amass has been playing very similar to Plata. I think he's been tougher to get off the ball than Joao though. He's got speed and decent ball-skills, but he hasn't had quite as many shots on goal, so his scoring rate is far lower. He's got pretty nice free kick skills too.

The new Englishman (Charlie Adams) was interesting vs Tulsa. He was very involved in the game, but wasn't in long enough to get a big conclusion on him yet.

RSLer and Ryantherusskie repped this.
  18. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 RoyalNonesuch, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Either way, the Monarchs are a success.

It's fantastic that RSL is building the talent base more and more, and we're just at the beginning.

Ryantherusskie and 15 to 32 repped this.
  19. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah, but when are we getting the next Messi for free? We're way behind schedule compared to my Fifa save.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is, if we don't immediately waive these Monarch players next year or lose them to a League MX club.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ha ha ha ha ha...

Under his guidance, the USL club has produced three players who have gone on to sign contracts with Real Salt Lake – Emery Welshman in 2015 [out most of season with busted leg and options waived at end of 2016] and Ricardo Velazco and Chris Schuler in 2016. [Really? They're going there as justification for the move. Really?]
    If you're going to justify the move, wouldn't you use Academy experience, coaching same system alongside Cassar, experience with first team players doing stints with the Monarchs, etc.? The player promotion rate for the Monarchs to RSL is the last reasonable metric to use, as it (put politely) not good.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seriously listed Schuler as if it was some kind of accomplishment? The guy was cut for being injured at least 50% of the time. Just because he finally didn't get injured during a season shouldn't be some accomplishment of the Monarchs.

SoccerPrime, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who will coach the Monarchs now?

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008