MNT fans: Are there any other sports you follow?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HomokHarcos, Feb 23, 2017.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to soccer, I also follow the NHL, NFL, MLB and NBA.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Hockey is the only other sport I actively follow. For casual viewing the odd NFL game, and I keep an eye on the Tour de France ever year.

3. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I used to follow other sports, in addition to soccer. Primarily NFL and some college football. Now I only follow soccer.

4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    NFL and some college basketball.

5. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, only soccer. I'll follow some NFL playoff matches online. I did catch that amazing end of the Super Bowl this year but not the first half.

I do follow MLS, La Liga, Bundesliga and the EPL which is more than enough sport than I have time for

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally a pretty big sports fan as a whole. In the past was a massive San Diego Chargers fan and also followed the wider NFL pretty avidly. But barely watched an NFL game last year, and don't plan on watching any this season.

I have found myself watching a lot more college football, also casually watch the NBA, and NHL. Hoping the Padres have a decent season to give me an excuse to follow baseball and try and get back into it.

Like some international sports too including F1, Rugby, and follow some of the big bike races like Tour de France, and Paris-Roubaix.

But at the moment most of my sports watching energy is spent on watching soccer and all of it's many competitions.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  7. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm into entirely into the regular seasons of sports, it's the playoffs that I'm really into.

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I tend to support my local teams.

But mostly MLS/ Sounders and then Gonzaga men's basketball team. I grew up in Spokane and now live in Tacoma.

I still will root for Spokane teams over anything else on the west side of the state. WSU over UW in anything for instance. Or the Spokane Shadow over anyone in EPLWa play and now NPSL play as well.

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey - Flyers, USA Hockey
    Football - Eagles, Oklahoma Sooners, Michigan
    Basketball - Sixers
    Baseball - Fallen out of love, Phillies

SeminoleTom repped this.
  10. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I follow baseball, basketball and football

SeminoleTom repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I follow college basketball, college football, and the USMNT heavily.

I follow the 49ers, Warriors, and the Giants slightly more casually.

And the Sharks and college baseball as a casual fan.

Pretty big sports fan.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    NFL
    College Football
    NBA but mostly when the playoffs start.
    NCAA basketball but mostly when the Conference Tournaments start.
    MLB
    NHL mostly during the Playoffs.
    Various Olympic sports.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Baseball. That's all I really have time for. I still like hockey but I don't follow it, and I find that I have completely lost all interest in or patience for football or basketball.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Baseball Classic is coming up soon. American baseball fans can watch the USA half-ass their way through this just like the previous 3 editions.

SeminoleTom and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As time goes by I've become less interested in watching sports. They fade one by one. The only one that still excites passion is soccer. That said, to be sociable with family or friends, I'll keep track of sufficiently significant moments in other sports they may care about. For example, when one of them makes a reference to 34-28 I'm not completely clueless...;)

16. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Lurker going back to the 2002 World Cup. Not to say that this applies to all people who exclusively follow soccer (it doesn't), but these boards used to feature a lot more complaints about other sports, and contrivances like calling the NFL "gridiron" or American football. It might have been a minority even then, but it was a more vocal one.

I think the move away from the non-soccer hostility on bigsoccer is a huge positive. One, soccer fans seem to have less of a chip on their shoulder and less to be defensive about (who remembers how heavy a shadow Jim Rome cast over the early 2000s bigsoccer psyche?). Two, hopefully soccer fandom is broadening to include more typical sports fans, the kind who don't find ways to complain about how baseball players aren't real athletes or call things "shite." I find that American soccer-fandom still trends a bit too close to European cosplay for my taste.

That's a very long way of saying I also follow other sports, particularly the NFL, college football, and college basketball.

17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big NFL fan. Listen to almost nothing but NFL radio and SiriusXMFC in the car. Also a big MLB, college football, NHL, college basketball, tennis, summer and winter Olympic sports, sometimes even rugby or lacrosse fan.

Go back and look at the last 3 rosters and see how many of those players got hurt in the 2 years following the WBC. Then you'll understand why the best players like Kershaw and Scherzer skip it. Even guys like Gio Gonzalez who stay healthy often have their careers slowly decline after playing in it.

18. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big baseball fan, kind of watch NFL & NBA.

Not a sport but I watch WWE.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be a big NFL fan...not anymore.

I pretty much catch some Orioles scores in summer/spring/fall and watch the NBA playoffs.

20. Joe Waco

Joe Waco Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I follow college football and keep up with scores in college basketball. I used to go to all of my schools football games (home and away), but that has faded as I've gotten older. Don't even have season tickets to basketball anymore

21. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious what some of the millennials have to say about this. I'd also be interested in everyone ranking their favorite sports in order. I read that soccer is the 2nd favorite sport for millennials (behind the NBA for some ungodly reason)

22. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was born in 1998 and this is my order.

1.Hockey
    2.Soccer
    3.Football
    4.Baseball
    5.Basketball

I still like them all.

23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a weak excuse to me. By that logic, soccer players could just as easily say that about the World Cup. In fact, any athlete in any sport could say that about their respective sport's world championship.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like an argument made by someone who doesn't follow baseball. I've been studying injuries resulting from the WBC since it started for fantasy purposes. It's so well known that players get hurt from it that MLB has had to put new rules in every year to try to prevent injuries

25. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA are lucky that the World Cup already had huge prestige by the time the European Cup (what the UEFA Champions League used to be called) was created. If not it might be treated the same way the World Baseball Classic is.