Mmm, Me Myself and Money: The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is the Ballon d'Or still on the calendar year schedule or have they switched back to season ? If it's season, it's much less controversial.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its calendar year AFAIK.

I don't know exactly when the actual vote takes place, but presumably right before the announcement of the winner (7 December)(?).

Benzema's inclusion is a total laugh! I think he only has 1 CL goal in 2017 and single digits for league goals.
    If you planted a 6-foot tree inside the penalty box at the Bernabeu it would probably score just as often through deflections, even factoring-in that it would be at the wrong end of the pitch for 45 minutes of each match. :coffee:

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Make fun of Benz all you want... He's king with two goals against Apoel tonight! [emoji23]

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sevilla getting creamed by Liverpool at home 3 x 0.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They haven't lost at home since Barca beat them there early last season! And that streak is not dead yet....

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What a comeback 3-3!

Gilmango and Forzabarca repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That point probably won't matter in the context of the CL, but great job by Sevilla to keep the streak alive!

Forzabarca repped this.
  8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Hahaha [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Too funny :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What are you laughing about?

12. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    This year's Ballon D'Or isn't that certain. Ronaldo was running away with it in June, but Messi has closed the gap considerably.

Every day you see articles which has a supposed leak of the cover showing Messi has won, and then another article that says Ronaldo called up Messi to let him know that they have told him Cr7 has won, and then the latest one that Messi has been tipped off that he is going to win.

As far as I know, they are still voting. 173 journalists from around the world.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think we'd see a close race, especially with Crissy playing like crap this current season, but the bookies still have him as the prohibitive favorite 1/6, whereas Messi is 7/2, Neymar next at 33/1, Buffon 50/1. Votes are generally due in by late November, haven't found the exact deadline for 2017. Announced December 7, 2017.

14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Stop dreaming guys.. Even Messi hattrick to take Argentina to WC won't be enough to beat CR. No one cares about the results after summer, it's the ones in spring that counts especially CL!

Also Ronaldo is in excellent form in CL in the eyes of morons who vote.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In 2013, what happened after summer was all that mattered.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm guessing he's laughing at us trashing Benz and Crissy, only for each of them to score 2 goals last night.

Because scoring against APOEL really put us in our place. :notworthy:

17. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi wasn't CL champion 2013! Bayern won and Penaldo was top scorer and La Liga was not enough for Messi. Messi this year has only a CDR with no major significance in the eyes of the voters. Penaldo has the Double together with top scorer and scoring hattricks in quarter and semis. No one remember the offsides! I wouldn't bet 1€ on Messi winning!

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I know Messi won't win, I'm just highlighting that the situation is quite similar to 2013, only in reverse.
    - Messi hat-trick in Ecuador in a must-win to qualify for the WC, while CR7 came-up huge against Sweden in Portugal's must-win in 2013.
    - Barca won league in 2013, Madrid won in 2017.
    - Messi was ahead in the voting until that performance against Sweden by Crynaldo.
    - Messi won pichichi easily in 2013... oh wait. :cautious:

Anyway, a lot of parallels b/w Messi'17 and CR7'13, but believe me - I'm fully prepared for the huge double-standard to be announced in December. My only hope is that Messi doesn't stink it up in Russia like CR7 did in Brasil. :cool:

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Atleti got no help whatsoever from Qarabag today so they are virtually out of CL now! Even if they win against Roma, they would need Roma to drop points at home against Qarabag and win in Chelsea in MD6.

Good news for Barca.

Forzabarca repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PSG 24 goals for, 1 against in group phase. :eek:

21. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great day in Europa for Spain, all 3 teams won, Real Sociedad in the final minutes went up 0-1 in Rosenbrg, Athletic held off Hertha 3-2 coming from down a goal twice, and Villarreal won 2-3 on the road to Astana. Villarreal win their group, Athletic need a draw to advance, as they are in 2nd place and play at the 3rd place team's home (Zorya Luh) up by just 2 points so a loss dumps them (and they lost to Zorya Luh at home 0-1), and Real Sociedad are assured of going through but are a point behind Zenit and they host Zenit in the final game.

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+