MLS to expand to 30 teams. $200 Million expansion fee.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CMeszt, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    #476 Stan Collins, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    I would say they have, only the perspective is skewed because the NASL skipped 'rapidly' and went straight to . . . ludicrous speed. But of the established and still-existing leagues, it's on the high end, alongside the NHL's rapid expansion. (Fair to note with that one that their rapid expansion period came from a starting point of only 6 teams. They had an expansion that doubled the size of the league, but that was still only to 12.)

This is somewhat of a recent phenomenon, though, and it was driven by the changes of the 1990s--the Premier League breakaway corporation formed, Bosman Ruling, Champions League. The latter particularly brings in a lot of money from outside the league, money which generally lands at the feet of only the already successful clubs. There's an 'invisible division' in European football between the teams that regularly qualify for the CL group stage and those that don't. After you go below this division, the competitive imbalances are not actually that high. The top team after the Big 6 last year was Wolves. Then Leicester was two spots down in 9th.

Allez RSL and Bluecat82 repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting article on just this:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...two-championship-miguel-delaney-a8926126.html

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Pull quote (emphasis added):
    [​IMG]

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there is Red bull, they seem to do it right with their sports team conglomerate.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL was faster, going from 12 teams in 1959 to 26 in 1970. It wasn't all traditional expansion, but all 14 new teams started from scratch within a 9-year period (1960-68). Once the NHL started expanding it took 14 years to add 14 (actually 15) new teams. Post-contraction MLS has taken 15 years to get a net increase of 14 teams.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every league goes through a period of rapid expansion, it just tends to be related to a rival league springing up. The NBA had the ABA, the NHL had the WHL, and the NFL had the AFL. MLS had had a prolonged period of expansion, but nothing all that unprecedented.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #482 Bill Archer, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    I would also add that with MLS the expansion push has been largely demand driven.

Except in the very odd case of Austin TX, where 3 or 4 years ago the city fathers were secretly approached by the league out of the blue (the mayor says he told them "we don't have anything or anyone in place for something like that" and says he was told "don't worry about it"), the demand for new teams is coming from prospective owners who want in.

Part of it is because there's just so much money sloshing around out there right now, and part of it is that this is likely the last chance forever to get into a professional sport on the ground floor. Unless you see major league lacrosse becoming a thing, soccer is it.

I've been saying for several years now that MLS has made a serious mistake; not in selling new teams but in selling them way too cheaply. Arthur Blank paid $80 million for ATL. It's easily worth $400 million three years later,

Even the newest expansion teams, at $150 million, is a ridiculous bargain. Some people are aghast at the proposed $200 million price tag beyond team # 28, but I think that should have been the price four years ago.

200 or even 250 would not have stopped Blank, would not have stopped Lindner, would not have stopped McGuire, would not have stopped Ingram/Wilf and would not have stopped Haslam. Every single one of them can be reasonably confident that their MLS investment will be worth half a billion or more in less in the not too distant future.

Should have stuck it to them.

eddygee and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bottom line, Europe is much more likely to adopt a system somewhat like ours long before we adopt theirs.

MLS owners know these facts as well as anybody, and they have zero interest in committing suicide. This constant "take off the training wheels" garbage is just so much nonsense.

Forget the legal and structural roadblocks which are largely insurmountable; even if they could, why in the world would they?

flange, oknazevad, JasonMa and 9 others repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think CFG may have seen the light in season 1 when a couple of Man City players were introduced and roundly booed. Just walking around the stadium you'll see fans of all the major European clubs wearing their jerseys. Identifying the club too strongly with Man City would probably drive customers away.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As I keep saying, the system is working as designed. There are no "training wheels". There are no reins to release.

eddygee, JasonMa, ElNaranja and 3 others repped this.
  11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Sure. If your league doesn't experience a brief period of inflationary expansion, you end up with too many magnetic monopoles once it's matured.

BalanceUT and Baysider repped this.
  12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Plus, the relative stability of the Football League over the years is the exception in Europe rather than the rule. Pretty much everyone else except Germany is pretty much semi-pro below the second tier.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so its illegal and a terrible idea.

Other than that, why are you against it?

JasonMa, ElNaranja, TheJoeGreene and 3 others repped this.
  14. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    And there are people in the expansion forum threads thinking someone in Oklahoma City will pay half a billion expansion fee and build a new SSS.

Anyhow, teams 28-30 are $200 million. Teams 31&32 will be much more. And, MLS is going to 40 like some think.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An underappreciated perk of being an official BigSoccer Stupidface is the ability to read deleted posts.

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /checks the coaching history of my MLS team
    //chuckles

Before you post dumb shit on this topic again, I strongly suggest that you consider the fact that not every team in this league is run as stupidly as the New England Revolution and Colorado Rapids.

eddygee, kenntomasch, ElNaranja and 2 others repped this.
  17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've released the purse strings for Players That Matter. I don't give two shits if they release the purse strings for the Cristian Colmáns of the world.

eddygee and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Are you confused? We are talking about a franchise not being punished. That's the reason New Englands and Rapids can exist.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares if the organizations are punished? The coaches are punished, and the players are punished.

TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by the way, what is with this punishment fetish anyway?

If your organization needs a dominatrix in the form of a loss of league standing in order be motivated to keep improving and keep moving forward, your organization likely isn't worth a shit in the first place.

flange, oknazevad, kenntomasch and 7 others repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And yet here the Revs and Rapids are (per your example).

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I miss having access to the Recycle Bin. In fact, I enjoyed posting to threads there despite no longer being a stupidface moderator. That is, I enjoyed it until Segroves started posting as well. Mike Segroves is why I can't have nice things.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of which have fired their coach in the last month. Seems like they know the urgency to get better. You can't force somebody to be good at it though.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm just happy I can block the worst troll on BS despite the fact that he's inexplicably still allowed to post in the grownup area.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The downside to being a stupidface is that you're not allowed to block anyone.