MLS teams in Copa Libertadores and/or..

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by STR1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    LOL yep, apparently that is how it works and MLS "fans" seem to love that idea too.

I hope Liga MX at least tries to get back to Libertadores. Let them have all the fun and experience.

2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams wouldn't stand a chance in South America anyway. It would be a slaughter.

3. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, you are right. Might as well just stay home and keep on playing the USOC since that is more prestigious tournament than a dumb Copa Libertadores.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as MLS wants to remain a closed league and non-competitive with the rest of the hemisphere, they might as well not bother with Copa Libertadores. Their provincial mindset towards international club competitions is why they fail against non-US clubs in this part of the world.

5. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, it's a little contradictory. MLS is in talks to join CL and you say they shouldn't because they will have no chance. Then here you say something different.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Might what to win CCL first...no?

7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Do you have to win a regional tournament first to attend a WC? I don't think so unless they changed that and I am not aware of it. Besides, CONMEBOL is already looking at making the CL final in Miami for the 2020 edition. That is a clear indication that MLS and CONMEBOL are in advanced conversations and more than likely in. Otherwise, a CL final in Miami doesn't make sense.

Unak78 repped this.
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CL final looks like another Copa America. CONMEBOL would be talking to CONCACAF instead of MLS... no?

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think CONCACAF has anything to do with this. As long as MLS sends its "best" teams (Champions and SS winner) to CONCACHAMPIONS, CONCACAF can't say anything. Similar to what Mexico does when it participated in CL. MLS and Liga MX are going to be inveted, not join as members.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    An invitation makes sense. I thought you meant a merged format. Thanks for clarifying

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, they can - see: Concacaf pulling Mexico out of the Copa Sudamericana. It's just that they won't because the post-Chuck Blazer Concacaf actively seeks opportunities to collab with CONMEBOL, so Libertadores participation shouldn't be a problem.

Shhhh...no one tell STR1 that CONMEBOL has already held finals in Miami (Ft. Lauderdale, to be fair) with no MLS tie-in in sight.

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That was not a Copa Libertadores final. But if you think a CL final in the US will go well with fans in SA, go for it.

And no, CONCACAF has no say so in what Liga MX or MLS do. CONCACAF can change the schedule of CCL to screw them with TV deals or anything else but they hold no authority over Liga MX or MLS other than CCL. Mexico didn't stop going to CL because CONCACAF told them, they stopped because of the schedule.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but the USA can fail to win a Gold Cup and still be good enough to advance in the WC. If the 2022 Copa Libertadores has 8 groups of 4 with 4 US clubs in different groups having 3 home and 3 away games each, I'd say the USMNT is more likely to reach the WC Round of 16 than for at least one of the US clubs to advance in the Copa Libertadores.

I don't think anyone was claiming South American fans would be happy with a Final in the US. We were talking from an American and possibly Canadian point of view.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something does not compute.

It was you that actually talked about Conmebol wanting to do this.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    CONMEBOL has the beauty, CONCACAF has the money.

I know plenty of marriages that make that combo work.

16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #41 Paul Calixte, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Completely missed my point - I wasn't talking about the Copa Libertadores. Go back and look up why Mexico stopped participating in the Copa Sudamericana...again, that was a different Concacaf, with Chuck Blazer actively shutting down cooperation with Conmebol over his issues with Nicolás Leoz (e.g. forcing Mexico and Costa Rica to send u-23 teams to the Copa América).

My point is that Concacaf does have the power, but no longer wields it because it has gone back to friendly relations with Conmebol post-Blazer. For instance, Concacaf changing the CCL schedule to one semester so that Mexican clubs wouldn't be stuck with schedule congestion now that the Libertadores extends into fall.

Unak78 and STR1 repped this.
  17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let me clarify it for you. According to reports MLS and CONMEBOL are in advanced talks to join CL. Also according to reports, CL 2020 would likely be played in Miami. Putting the two together, that is the same date MLS is supposed to join. If MLS joins, CONMEBOL can then have the final in the US. As said earlier, MLS is not a requirement but it would help with them being in it. But we will see, it is only 2 more years for that to happen.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was referring to the idea that you have to win a CCL to join CL first. No, you don't have to if you are invited. MLS will be invited. And I doubt MLS would get 4 teams in group stage right away. Mexico had 3 and 1 went to group stage while the others had to qualify to GS. And I don't know who is likely to advance or not but that shouldn't be an excuse not to go. It is not like all the CL clubs are Barcelona's or Real Madrid.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I doubt an MLS club survives Copa Libertadores and makes it to the finals. Miami is a smart choice though due to the Central and South American demographic. Would the rest of the US care? Doubtful but it's a smart way for CONMEBOL to penetrate the US market.

20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, smart way.

You can doubt all you wan about MLS that is still not an excuse not to join. Same thing can be said about SA leagues that have never gotten to the final. That doesn't stop them from assisting.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how does that not make south American fans angry?

If Conmebol drops the final in Miami, they have to do.

a) have a 3 game final (Home-Away-Miami).

b) have a single game final in Miami.

As you say, b would piss off south American fans.

How MLS being in the equations makes any of that different?

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oh God. How is your Spanish?

http://co.marca.com/claro/futbol/copa-libertadores/2018/10/23/5bce4b4b468aeb86288b4666.html

Make sure you check the part where it says "reinstate Mexico and the US into CONMEBOL competitions thus why the Final in the US"

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #48 ceezmad, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Si pero eso no quiere decir que es necessario.

Conmebol can have the final in Miami if they want to with out or with MLS/LMX.

That changes nothing on how South American fans of say Botafogo woud react if they made the 2020 final and the final was only played in Miami.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this part, what did you mean by

I understood this as South American fans would not like the idea, if that is an incorrect understanding my apologies.

BTW when Spanish language newspapers use words like "Iria, daria, seria", they are speculating. They do that a lot with player movements.

More concrete wording is sera, dara, ira.

Also, Miami makes more sense over Los Angeles, that is the other city they are speculating about.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm in no way against it. They are free to invite whoever they want, good for MLS

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bolivia and Venezuela are the only two countries whose clubs have never made a Libertadores final.

Peru and Mexico have made the final, but never won.