MLS should fold before we can make any progress

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CuriousGeorge.91, Jun 16, 2018.

1. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    MLS, a league that was supposed to develop American players and improve US soccer is right now sabotaging the program while spreading their big pile of feces of mediocre soccer on American fans. The league is doing everything wrong and the only thing MLS wants is to increase business and pocket owners with profits while stealing from lower level grassroots soccer.

After watching the WC anyone still can be fans of MLS or even pay to see games is beyond belief. The league is holding us back, and their refusal to reform and open up the pyramid and properly compensate academies is ruining US soccer. And not to mention all those ridiculous rules keep domestic players hostage and the way the league treats fans is despicable (see Columbus Crew fiasco).

Who feels MLS should fold so we can have a real open soccer pyramid without restrictive rules aimed at keeping US soccer in eternal mediocrity? What good is the league today and why should it continue to exist?

adam tash and jjmack repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I think all players should go to the Netherlands to learn their skills and then they should transfer to Real Madrid and Manchester United.

3. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    The Canadian league starts next year and maybe some of our kids should go there before moving to Europe. I bet the CPL will figure out how to develop players before MLS does.

4. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't understand much about the sport, do you?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares what you think? You’re literally a stupid monkey.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You must not have watched the Russia game.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes! Throwing the baby out with the bathwater? Some father!

No way we are ready for pro/rel yet. Maybe someday after I'm dead---I do like pro/rel---but not here and not now.

I wouldn't mind increasing the payroll again, though. But in baby steps.

8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yes! Someone has finally gotten the courage to say this and stand up to the MLS/SUM cabal! Though, I would add that players should also consider going to Portugal and then transferring to Bayern Munich.

9. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    OK, then why after 20 years of MLS and 10 years of academies, the US hasn't shown any improvement? Why can't MLS develop creative attacking players?

jjmack repped this.
  10. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    What about that game? Or are you comparing the US to Saudi Arabia?

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I bet Canada will pass a law that makes Michael Bradley give back his TFC money in order to help fund the CPL.

chad repped this.
  12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given the number of academy products now playing at the top level in Europe, that's clearly not the case. Furthermore, with MLS increasing the number of non-US players going to the world cup, it seems pretty clear that MLS is doing a fine job. Remember, MLS doesn't just strengthen U.S. players. If the U.S. national team in particular is struggling, maybe look at US Soccer.

In any event, disbanding the league would set us back to having a bunch of college players a la the 1980s. You'd have to be a fool to think that's a good idea.

(and pro/rel leagues are invariably less competitive. I can tell you right now who the champions will be in Germany, France, and Italy, and can get it down to one of 2 in Spain, and one of three in England. Even with the season halfway through, I can't tell you who will win the supporter's shield. and I certainly can't tell you who will win the supporter's shield next year.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm pretty sure he was being ironic but around here I can never tell.

Egbert Sousé and TOAzer repped this.
  16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't mean very much if these players do not actually get to start day in and day out for their clubs in MLS or Europe and if USSF continues to call up third-rate players like Altidore or Bradley.

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By next year going to Canada will be illegal

jayd8888 repped this.
  18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

One more time, for all the newbies...

Number of World Cups qualified for during the glory days of the NASL (1968 - 84): Zero. Zip, Nada, Zilch.

Number of World Cups qualified for after the start up of MLS in 1996: Five.

Any questions?

Oh, closing thought...it took England 36 years to win a World Cup after the first tournament in 1930...and the first World Cup was 67 years after the English FA was founded.

Class dismissed.

Reading assignment: The Power of Patience: How to Slow the Rush and Enjoy More Happiness.

Berks, GHjelm, BrennenZinckgraf and 6 others repped this.
  19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't you hear? Australia won this World Cup already and Canada is a lock for 2022. Meanwhile Michael Bradley is still ruining everything for the U.S.

Berks, Tom Collingsworth, CMeszt and 4 others repped this.
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing I don't moderate this forum.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Just wondering how long the OP lasts and whose sock puppet he is. Though I won't find out, because I won't be listening. So I suppose I should thank him for being so up-front and not allowing me to get sucked in and consider anything he says potentially valuable later on. I might've wasted a lot of time...

22. CuriousGeorge.91

None
    United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Sock puppet? At least I'm not shilling for MLS/SUM that has done nothing but ruin soccer and keep it from actually being a major sport in the US. What use is MLS anyway? It's low quality garbage soccer that's only slightly better than amateurs at my YMCA once you take away the DP's and TAM players.

MLS doesn't develop or sell players, doesn't do well internationally, isn't improving for the last 10 years, won't help lower levels, refuses pro/rel, doesn't have a real transfer market, treats fans like nobodies, and the presentation makes the league a circus rather than a sports competition.

So what's the point of having a league that nobody respects and get abysmal TV ratings continue to exist? What good is MLS?

adam tash and jjmack repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh really? So if this is the case how come there aren't any amateur teams left competing in the Open Cup?

If the quality is so "garbage" why have Carlos Vela, David Villa, the Dos Santos Brothers, Giovinco, Nacho Piatti, Ibra, Kaku, Valeri, & Lodeiro chosen to play in MLS when they had offers to play elsewhere? If it's so Garbage Quality how did Vela and the Dos Santos brothers get picked for Mexico's world cup roster?
    Seriously? Weston McKinnie, Haji Wright, Carlos Salcedo, Paul Arriola, Matt Miazga, Tyler Admas, Cyle Larin, Zach Steffen, Timothy Weah, Zardes, Bill Hamid, Tim Ream, Erik Palmer-Brown, Jorge Villafana, Geoff Cameron, Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, & Tim Howard all either started in MLS professionally or started in MLS academies.

Seriously.........stop bringing baseless hyperbole, and start bringing FACTS and evidence to your "arguments."

MtMike, Phives, oknazevad and 2 others repped this.
  24. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys don’t waste your time with him. He would go around all the soccer subreddits over on reddit and rant on about the same crap. They’d delete his account and he’d just make a new one until they finally banned him from the site. His just here to troll and I’m pretty sure he know next to nothing about the sport. So best bet is just to put him on ignore.

25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He sounds a lot like that Cosmos troll that was here a few months back.

Marko72 and jayd8888 repped this.