MLS Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the key. I got into an argument with a Revs fan on Twitter who always we can't compare the Revs to LA/Seattle, etc (the higher spending teams), which I find to be a dumb argument, but he also said we can't compare them to teams like Dallas?

Then who the hell do we compare them to? Boston City?

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question for everyone: What might those differentiators be? What would you say to a potential player that would convice him to sign here instead of some other random MLS team not in a "glamour" market? Good quality of life, no on is going to kidnap your family, you get paid what your contract actually says, and on time... Sure, that's all good, but everyone else can offer that too. Why should you come here?

Psycho Lekic saw the stadium and was fooled to think we were as big of a club as Borussia Dortmund, but that bubble burst his first game when he realized that it was the other team with the Revolutionary War theme and the same colors is actually the straw that stirs the drink.

dncm repped this.
  3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And as we marvel at the players Atlanta has been able to recruit, it should not go unnoticed that their coach is Tata Martino. He's both a symbol of the club having ambitious plans and someone who's proven he can get players operating at an extremely high level.

I haven't been a frequent critic of Heaps (because I think Burns' is the head that needs to roll in this organization), but if the Krafts want to attract players based on being a great destination, then they need a name manager. Manuel Pellegrini and Andre Villas-Boas are over in China these days. That's a big part of why players are willing to take the money to play on crap teams (because the coaches hopefully will make those teams not so crap). Roberto Mancini and Bob Bradley are out there.

A real stadium would help too.

dncm repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No can do! Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho are not part of the Patriots/Revolution family.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CynicRev

CynicRev New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That chart should have a box at the beginning "Is your team the New England Revolution" --->"Darn! Looks like you can't get that player on your roster."

patfan1, MM66 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Pretty cool. That's should be a useful tool for GMs. ;)

Seriously, that's the most clear/concise presentation of the rules that I've seen.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those (like myself) drooling over all the young internationals Atlanta has signed, a word of caution from Matt:

Armchair Analyst: Be excited for Atlanta United, but keep perspective
    February 7, 2017, 6:28PM EST
    Matthew Doyle

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs this year, I think they more likely will follow a pattern similar to NYC (miss playoffs year 1, 2nd in the East year 2).

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Their roster make-up is very different than NYCFC's. City relied heavily on three older DPs, with Lampard and Pirlo both making limited impacts in year one after joining midway through the year and struggling with injuries. I expect Atlanta to fair much better than NYCFC did.

dncm and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Martino is their coach. Not that Patrick Viera isn't good but he does not have anywhere close to the same coaching experience, having previously only managed the Man City reserves side. By contrast, Martino has taken Argentina to 2 Copa finals, managed Barcelona (including a clasico win), gotten to the Cola Libertadores semi, etc. He has been managing clubs since 1998 including numerous Argentina clubs and will bring that wealth of experience to Atlanta. They are going to be a force in the East if not right out of the gate then certainly down the stretch.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which does not bode well for the Revs, since they play ATL twice in September.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good test but you have to beat the best to be the best.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Would be good to see how the Gold Cup, WCQ, and FIFA windows affect the Revs schedule this year - for their opponents and if the Revs players get called away.

15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have to question this kids attitude. He scores everywhere he goes so why do teams not want to keep him?

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does explain why we've never been the best.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    829798904606646276 is not a valid tweet id

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's arguably one of the only MLS-USL partnerships worse than us and Rochester.

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    MM66 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The distance is a challenge, but I can see it working if both clubs treat it as a season long loan, unlike the one-foot-in, one-foot-out approach of the Revs.

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Any USL-MLS relationship where the MLS club doesn't have direct control over the USL club is not ideal. San Antonio is trying to make a name for themselves as they make a push for MLS; I can't imagine they'll have NYCFC's interests in mind when it comes to playing time or developing players.

IRguy repped this.
  23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Ali Curtis strikes me as a thoughtful, data driven GM would would fit the Kremlin-like culture of KSG. I would love to have them bring him in.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+