MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The stadium is in Legends, which is an outlet mall with a bunch of food options. Top food picks (IMO) are:

Arthur Bryant's (BBQ)
    Jazz (Cajun)
    Yardhouse (Craft beer and gastro pub)
    Stix (Sushi and hibachi grill)
    Chiusano's (brick oven pizza)

If you're into waterparks, there is Great Wolf Lodge and Schlitterbahn.
    The Kansas Speedway and the aforementioned minor league baseball stadium are there too, although I have no idea if either have any events going that weekend.

Other than that, most of the stuff in the area is shopping related. Someone else can chime in if I missed anything.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is great information. Thank you. I remember staying at the hotel that shares the parking lot with the baseball park the last time. I think we dined at the classy Hooters.

For this trip (with little kids), we choose the Best Western across from the stadium (hoping it is fine). We are season pass members at Cedar Point so I figured I could forego the cost on Great Wolf.

Craft beer pub sounds very good.

vividox repped this.
  3. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    You really got the best hotel in the area. The pool inside the western is small but really nice for the little ones and makes for a great tailgating spot. They have a little patio for cooking out food if you want to bring a grill.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of tailgating, we are on the fence about where to tailgate. I know the last time we were out, we tailgated with the KC supporters (which is unusual for us, but you folks are the bee’s knees compared to well.. many of the other places we have travelled).

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think you would absolutely want to tailgate with the Cauldron. They are totally open arms to other supporter groups, and the food and beverage options are going to be second to none. Might want to get on Twitter and ask. https://twitter.com/KCCauldron

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter is a cesspool.

But good suggestion. Thank you.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wayne Rooney to DC United for £12.5M.

8. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a ridiculous waste of money.

BenDover repped this.
  10. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, that is not the way to cure the problems at DCU, just like Schweinsteiger is not the answer to the problems at Chicago and Zlatan at LAG. They may want to take a peek at how Atlanta spends their big bucks if they really want results.

Sachsen repped this.
  11. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or they're expecting to lose guys this summer. Wouldn't surprise. Almiron and Martinez have definitely been noticed at higher levels.

13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure of that. Both guys are attracting attention, but losing either one of those guys in the summer would jeopardize their chances of winning the league so parting with either one would be a big surprise to me. Plus, I think Falcao is 32. Atlanta has gone with very talented youth (Barco, Almiron, Martinez..). The way ATL splashes money around, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Falcao as just additional offensive strength during the long season.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think Falcao is likely. But I also think that Atlanta is built with the expectation of selling, and so they have to be aware that most transactions happen in the summer.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL is simply playing the MLS game from top to bottom at a higher level than the rest of the league. They have done pretty much everything perfectly right.

If Boca doesn't end up as USSF GM at some point I'll eat my hat.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think getting tata as their manager was probably the best thing they ever did. he appears to have brought with him the credibility of a big-time manager with none of the baggage that comes with a typical manager of that rep in this league. it's likely triggered players that may not have considered mls to now want to play for his club. and the bonus is that it looks like he's bought in to the club and league.

they've definitely done a lot of things right so far. their fans are starting to get on my nerves, though.

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL is playing at a very high level. However, I just watched NYRB hang three goals on them enroute to a 3-1 win. Granted, Greg Garza was sent off with a red card in the 70th minute, but the Red Bulls already had the 3-1 lead at that time. Give Jesse Marsch a lot of credit because they came into Atlanta without Robles in goal and took the game right to them. So, ATL has lost their last 2 home games by a combined 5 goals to 1. They are doing a lot of things right (lots of money helps) and are one of the top teams. But I think its a little premature to get out the anointing oil. What I do appreciate is that their approach to the game is effecting the league in a positive way. The other teams are going to have to step up or fall further behind.

Sachsen repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed. I noticed no direct messaging to the Cauldron existed on Twitter, and I am a bit tweet illiterate. Thanks again.

20. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they have some meerkats that can teach you.

21. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy lose again last night to Dallas. When was the last time you heard the name Zlatan? :whistling:

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, last night, since he bagged a brace. But the Galaxy were not good when Beckham first arrived, either, until they shored up their defense. They seem to have forgotten past lessons.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference is this time they have a vastly overpaid defense (highest paid in the league).

24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, as I know you know, doesn't necessarily translate to quality or balance on the field. I don't really care how much someone is being paid as long as the results are good.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed pay doesn’t matter. But what it tells me is unlike last time when their defense was shit AND poorly paid, now they’re shit and well paid which falls more on scouting

BenDover repped this.