MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, the question is necessarily whether more money wins you every game, as much as how many more wins that money can net you over the course of the season.

That said, what a hoot. Houston looked good and Atlanta looked like a team that had forgotten they sold their only solid dmid.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a team that played their only other adequate dmid at center back

3. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done NYRB for going into Mexico and winning 2-0 against Club Tijuana last night. Any time an MLS team can beat a Mexican Premier League team, especially on their own turf, is a big step forward for the league.

Sachsen and vividox repped this.
  4. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull’s, Sounders, and Toronto, all beat Liga MX teams in the first round and none of those games were a fluke. Three solid performances. All three MLS teams spent the last two years building their squads and adjusting their tactics to be in position to challenge the best Mexican teams in the CCL. SKC enters the CCL next season and is nowhere near a point where they could challenge any of the three Mexican teams that got beat this week. PV and company have a lot of work to do if they are going to have any chance of surviving just the first round of CCL play.

Sachsen repped this.
  5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

This is significant.

6. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Yeah, it's no coincidence that the teams investing the most in their first teams AND in their youth setups are the ones making waves in CCL. I'd probably rate the Red Bulls as the very best in terms of actually developing their youth talent and giving them time on the field. Two of their homegrowns (Jozy and Bradley) are among Toronto's best players. And Seattle had a homegrown player assist on Dempsey's goal.

Vermes and co. talk all the time about being a club that gets all their players from the academy, but there's exactly zero evidence that Vermes has any interest in actually doing this.

Sachsen repped this.
  7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Liga MX teams down and one to go with both Tijuana and Tigres falling to RBNY and TFC. Now if only Seattle can do their part against Chivas, it will be 3 MLS teams in the semifinals.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tijuana losing to rbny isn't that big of a deal, though i still wouldn't have predicted it before the first game, but i certainly did not see tigres losing.

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Kind of surprised to see Guadalajara so low in the standings this Clausura (and last Apertura, for that matter). Still, I think Seattle has a difficult 90 minutes ahead of them tonight.

This is great progress, but someone is still going to need to beat America to take this thing from Mexico.

10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will take something special for an MLS club to beat Club America, but this may be the year. If it doesn’t happen, at least Liga MX knows MLS is no longer the joke they thought it was.

11. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ******** me. Zlatan. Man among boys.

BenDover repped this.
  12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched that game and you are right. Unless someone comes up with an unbelievable goal, that 50 yard volley for a goal will be the MLS goal of the year. Simply stunning.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the best view of it is from behind the goal. most clips of it i've seen haven't shown that angle. it's insane. from the side, it looks like he just hits it over the keeper. still nice, but... from behind the goal, you see that he actually rips through the ball and it slices up and over and into the goal. looks fantastic.

14. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto took down Club America 3-1 last night and is one step away from a CCL final. Herrera took exception to just about everything last night including a dust up between the teams in the tunnel at half time, the referees, the field, etc. The big Mexican clubs don’t like losing to “inferior” MLS clubs, so I think the 2nd leg will be really chippy affair. Congrats to TFC.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's perfectly set up for some classic concacaf-ing down in mexico.

kcfooty repped this.
  16. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy watching some of the better MLS games and one of the best was NYCFC vs Atlanta United last night. Both of those teams are going to set the bar for excellence in the MLS this year. It was a great game with really skilled players playing in front of a gigantic crowd. I am going to make it a point to travel to Atlanta when they play SKC.

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, Atlanta v NYCFC was a good one. So much offensive prowess in that one. I was a little shocked it ended with only four goals.

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big congrats to Toronto for beating Chivas in Guadalajara. Too bad they lost the Championship on PKs.

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention they had two good chances to win in regulation late in the game. Even though Chivas dominated possession in the second half. Bono's distribution, especially on goal kicks was abysmal.

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention they had two good chances to win in regulation late in the game. Even though Chivas dominated possession in the second half. Bono's distribution, especially on goal kicks was abysmal.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So is it just me or will there be issues at LAFC in fitting BennyF and LeeN into the same midfield.

22. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem at all. I see them as a complimentary set of skills in the middle that will make LAFC all that more dangerous.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Wizards. I come in peace.

I glanced around your board, and I thought this thread might be the most appropriate place to put my post (since a thread does not exist yet for this match). If it is not the best place, then mods please feel free to move it.

My little troupe is coming out for the Crew game over Memorial Day weekend. The last time I was at a Crew game in KC, you guys were still in the baseball park (2008).

We bought our tickets through NorOnTour. I wanted to bring a #STC banner or two. What is the banner policy at your stadium (yes, I checked the stadium page, but what is said in concept may not be what is put in practice)? For reference, I have traveled a lot to see Crew. Some stadiums have a laissez-faire attitude when it comes to banners, while others do not. Thank you in advance.

Sachsen repped this.
  24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From all I've seen, watch the language and watch the politics. Someone surely will have a specific answer to correct mine though.

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I know for sure we are bringing a simple STC banner or two. I am looking forward to visiting your newer stadium. We are staying across the street. What are some of the highlights in that area? Again thank you for any and all information.

After all these years of going to away games, this year may be our last because well, you folks know.