MLS News

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's next, the rebel flag gets banned in Atlanta? The horrors of pc are now part of the beautiful game. What is the infatuation with old flags?

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, that Andy Carroll FO suit at RSL needs a wee bit of perspective.
    Second, if some hate group hijacks a flag that many regular Americans have at home or said flag is in displays around our nation, and Andy Carroll, the NBA's Philadelphia 76's has their logo, for generations, the 13 star circle from the Bettsy Ross Flag. If this great flag is hijacked however, don't let that take over the flag's use. Take back what is rightfully there to celebrate....Defeating the damn English Empire!

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I and others in the hinchada have been bringing the famous Alamo Flag and Gonzalez Flag to Houston home and road games for years. The flags speak of a willingness to fight. A Come and Take It spirit. A spirit that is very real in our land. Our indigenous people in our land were certainly the kind to fight with tremendous skill and valor.
    We also have two cannons tied to our club Dan. Old timey cannons no less. So the flags as well harken back to that same era. ROT hermano!

4. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't get any of this. A historic flag that was co-opted by some extremist organization is now not allowed. I've seen old time photos of the KKK parading down Constitution Avenue proudly flying the Stars and Stripes. Should that flag also be banned?

Dynam0 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the difficulty of this issue. If you allow an anti-fascist flag do you have to allow a fascist swastika? We know you can't. In the end it is kinda difficult then you just put that aside and realize you have to take a side and their is only one acceptable side.

To answer @nbrooks503: Stars and stripes are ok. Swastika and Rebel battle flag are a no.

*rey* repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuff like this reinforces to me that a large segment of these Supporters Groups are nothing more than loosely interested in soccer and more some sort of political statement gang. All these loser have a complaint about something so they can protest - they'll protest pancreatic cancer and accuse Coca-Cola of knowingly trying to eliminate an ethnic group thru their use of artificial sweeteners.

Dynam0 repped this.
  10. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    So, if Mississippi ever gets an MLS team they can't fly their own state flag?

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't watch Dukes of Hazzard in Oregon either!!

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Biloxi Blues FC and Athletico Natchez can both fly the MS state flag because it is not the same as the Rebel battle flag. yes, I understand the upper left corner of the MS state flag is the same as the rebel battle flag.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One does not fly the Southern Cross.
    Too many men died fighting the U.S.A. to still "fly" it. Just my humble opinion as a Sam Houston type Southern man. Rich man's war, poor man's fight.
    What one does is hang it in a museum and honor the dead. Which if historically accurate, some 25,000 Native Americans and 10,000 Latinos fought under that Confederate flag. I have always desired Mississippi to retire their State Flag and let the Southern dead, of brown and white heritage, let them rest in peace.
    Too many in our post modern society want to draw a straight line between the South and the elitists that desired a war and then all the poor boys who had to go fight it!

14. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    I sleep better at night now that I know RSL is protecting its fans from Neo Nazis!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  15. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the intent of flying a historic flag instead of the current flag? If your trying to show your patriotism why not just fly the current flag? What message are you trying to send with the historic flag? Gun rights folks repurposed the Gonzales "Come and Take It" Flag, so when it's flown today are you showing your Texas Pride or making a statement against gun control?

*rey* repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gonzalez Flag is the very first flag in Texas history to adopt a lone star.
    That is very cool to me. It cries out Tejas como independiente!!! Our culture here. And as the beautiful game always demonstrates club or country, football=culture
    Thus, we bring the flag to games.

17. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @Dynamo_Forever

I saw the Betsy Ross flag for the first time during the Bicentennial celebrations in the Canal Zone. I was 9 and that sparked my interest in US history and the War for Independence. Since then I’ve always associated that flag with the 4th of July, military parades, summer and my happy childhood living overseas. It’s the “first flag”(*) so it has a very patriotic connotation, as George Washington himself carried that flag into battle. You can’t get more patriotic than that!!!

(*) I know there are a lot of lore about the flag and things we believe happened may have been quite different

CeltTexan repped this.
  18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But until they do the current flag is the State flag representing all that is MS, good and bad, and should not be confused with a symbol representing only the confederacy. Our own Stars and Stripes has been associated with some horrible actions and atrocities. The wars against native Americans and all we did to the proud indigenous people of this great land. Pre-confederacy slavery. The list is long. But I still embrace, honor and salute our US flag as our uniting symbol that, in context of our history, includes the always present need to improve and be better and more inclusive and empowering of all people. Our past failings does not define our future ambitions.

19. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional

Because you can fly whatever flag you want you dont' have to justify it to anyone. HTH

20. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno - I suppose it means exactly what the person displaying it intends it to mean.

And without a doubt, the person observing it will take it to mean exactly what they interpret it to mean.

It's all BS. Just do away with every single thing - No flags, no signs, no nothing - just people in seats lest we offend someone.

Dynam0 repped this.
  21. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    My God, the first world problems we have in this country. I served two tours in Iraq, I wonder what they, the civilians, would think of our "troubles". So ridiculous, so unnecessary, we have it too good here, it's bad when a people don't have real struggles.

CeltTexan, DonJuego and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I didn't know Christen Press was a proud black woman.

24. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll assume that the rest of the black women on the USWNT are proud too.

"Out of the 23 women representing the US at the World Cup, only five are black. On and off the field, Crystal Dunn, Adrianna Franch, Jessica McDonald, Christen Press, and Mallory Pugh are inspiring black girls all over."

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Black-Women-2019-US-Women-World-Cup-Roster-46225409

Apologies for referencing "Popsugar" for anything.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States