MLS Live 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mjlee22, Jan 22, 2017.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked MLSSoccer.com, and no mention of 2017 service yet. I also haven't received any emails about renewing. Does anyone have any info as to date and pricing?

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The desktop version of watchespn was revamped at some point last week to appear more like it is in the espn app and not like watchespn, but now I can't find it. Regardless, watchespn has been working better for me recently so I wouldn't be surprised if they have done a lot of behind the scenes fixes.

3. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope they continue MLS Live. It's quality is top notch. For me at least ESPN 3 doesn't even come close to the same quality.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side the watchESPN app still runs on iOS7 while the MLS app doesn't. I'll be replacing my older iPad before the season anyway but its a plus in the favor of ESPN.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston Dynamo recently announced new local TV coverage on Facebook along with other places. The new local station is only available in Houston as opposed to the old partner, ROOT Sports Southwest, that was available in markets around Texas and other places. On Facebook they were asked if there would continue to be blackouts locally on MLS Live. This was their reply.

Now it could be that they were using it as shorthand for whatever streaming system that will be available but they did say MLS LIVE. The MLS website schedule is also listing MLS Live for TV coverage.

007Spartan and sitruc repped this.
  6. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looks like a big ol' yes:

818882320589553665 is not a valid tweet id

7. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any auto-renewal discount?

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This.

How much was it last year?
    Now it's $80 for the season, $70 single team or $15 monthly.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not:

Ben7 repped this.
  11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I believe it was $65 last year if you signed up during the preseason and then it went up to $80 once the season started.

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I believe you could get a discount code through teams last year too?

Not sure I am going to pick it up this year.
    I barely used it last year.

I really only like watching games live. And with attending games in person half the time I miss those weekend's games anyways considering I work one day each weekend as well.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that sucks, but who am I fooling .... I'll be getting it anyway. The value of this package is incredible for a "super-fan" like me.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be in England during 2 Rapids games this year. MLS Live's region restrictions will prevent me rom watching the game, won't they? Will the condensed matches work?

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 onefineesq, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    I wish I had an answer for you. However, I have been in England during the MLS season in 3 of the last 4 years. And for some reason, mlslive has worked each time ....... when watching it on my smartphone. Can't watch it on my computer, but have been able to watch any game I desired through both my HTC One and Samsung s6, at the time. I'll be in France and England this May, so we shall see if it works yet again.

Just to be clear, I have been using the mlslive APP to watch it during those times.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The MLS website has updated the blackouts. We have a new local TV carrier and the blackouts have gone away here in Houston.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-live

There is also this note on that page:

profiled and Ben7 repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 10 of the 22 teams have local blackouts.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    There could/should be a slight discount for subscribers in those ten markets.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    not all teams

20. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not available in Mexico again....guess i will be renewing my VPN service

21. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $80 is steep! I was all set to renew at $65. I cancelled my auto renewal... I haven't decided yet.

22. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Any word on when you can actually start using it? I've paid but still don't have access (in fact, I have no idea how to access the games as there is only a link to subscribe, not to watch). I leave the country in a couple weeks and was hoping to watch last season's games (well, the 2nd half of the season) before I go.

23. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    When I was Switzerland and Austria, MLS Live itself was blacked out, but I could watch Condensed and Highlights on my iPad and Galaxy Note. Should be the same in England.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    $80 is steep. For $80, they better have the same streaming quality as MLB.tv and NHL.tv. On iPad for those two apps the quality is absolutely remarkable with incredibly high refresh rates. When using those apps on my Roku, it's an HD picture that doesn't look and feel like I'm watching a stream. With the MLS apps, it looks and feels like a stream with sometimes lagging video. I'm hoping to pay for what should be better than that, otherwise I'll just stick to streaming sites for free.

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  25. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree $80 is steep. This might be my last season as a Quakes STH, so maybe this will be my last season on MLS Live as well. I really enjoy the service, but there are so many games now, that last year I think I only watched a full game about 3 times on MLS Live. Of course, part of that was because the Quakes were so bad. But I watched most of the other MLS games, all in condensed mode.

Can you watch the condensed games for free?