MLS, Liga MX 8 team tournament

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Feb 2, 2019.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this article today over lunch.
    From that article, these stood out.

The Campeones Cup between the champions of both leagues, in theory, would subsequently grow in importance as the rivalries develop between the teams and leagues, becoming a World Series of sorts for North American soccer. The TV audience for the most recent edition between Atlanta United and Club America reached 1.5 million -- three times bigger than the recent "El Trafico" between LAFC and LA Galaxy.

But while the idea of combined league play and even a united league is still a ways away, the focus right now is on developing, expanding and improving Leagues Cup to "test the waters," according to one source close to the negotiations. Next year, eight teams from each league will qualify for the competition and there is a belief that MLS clubs will, given time to prepare and knowing about the tournament before the preseason, be more willing to field their first XIs.

and this

The North American market is complicated by the "big four" sports leagues in the United States: NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. But changing demographics and habits in the United States see soccer as tied for the second-most popular sport to watch for 18-to-34-year-olds, according to a 2018 Gallup poll.

"As MLS is growing to 30 clubs and Liga MX is still the most-watched league in the United States, there's a lot of potential there for a massive audience in 5-10 years' time if [Liga MX and MLS] can capitalize on the momentum of the 2026 World Cup," said Scott Minto, director of the Sports MBA program at San Diego State University.

For MLS owners, the fact that Liga MX has the highest TV ratings in the United States is of huge appeal. A total of 4.8 million in the United States watched the Liga MX 2018 Clausura final between America and Cruz Azul. More people in the United States tune in to watch Liga MX each weekend than the Premier League, and while MLS has made gains, it's yet to meaningfully close the gap on either of the aforementioned leagues.

2. Dossena Lifestyle

Apr 6, 2014
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    What makes me always come back to the goofy merger in my head is this: how can they grow the TV audience without a gimmick or a black swan event, and how can they have a growth strategy without TV?

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They can grow the tv viewership by adding markets. Most people watch their local team.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2019 Leagues Cup
    Home team first.
    Times are ET.

Final
    Wednesday, September 18
    Cruz Azul 2-1 Tigres UANL @ Las Vegas, NV

Cruz Azul wins the inaugural Leagues Cup.

The 2020 tournament will reportedly have a total of 16 teams; 8 Liga MX and 8 MLS.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Will the plan to schedule around this convince MLS to try? If not, will it be 8 Mexican teams in the quarterfinals?

6. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    IMO this tournament is DOA. I found it funny the commentators last night were talking about MLS teams fielding their B teams???? Try C or D teams, especially LAG.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Disagree. TV ratings were very high, and attendance quite decent.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's clearly not DOA, since it's coming back for year 2, so...

crookeddy repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    touche!

10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    They have said its coming back. Doesn't mean it will. Most leagues and tournaments plan ahead and plan to do it again the next year. NASL was planning another season too :)
    But yes I think they will at least do it again next year. My comment was a bit misleading. I don't think this tournament will last long term. Not sure I have an exact number of years I predict it will last. I would say somewhere around 5 years maybe.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Based on what? It seems like it's a complete hit financially.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Based on how not seriously MLS teams took it. We'll see if that changes next year.
    I also think it is a bit early to be calling it a hit financially. Do you know how much advertising was sold, how much ESPN paid, how much tickets were?
    This just a reboot of superliga and we see where that went. I think history will repeat itself. I have been wrong many times. So I'm could definitely be wrong, but calling this a hit is extremely premature.
    There is way more to a successful tournament than getting an average of 17k a game for 7 games.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, and that's getting higher TV ratings than a regular season match. Which is what happened.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey that would make it more successful than the Original Superliga, and the Pacific championship (I kind of wish we still had that tournament).

JasonMa repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they schedule around it (which will be easier to do as participants will be known well in advance) I’ll watch it. I think it will make a compelling competition.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should play some of the games in Mexico.

MPNumber9 and SixKick repped this.
  17. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Superliga accomplished its goal. Ergo it was successful.

I dont get people bashing that tournament.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    "barely 20 years old" because all other attempts at national football leagues failed. You're not gonna get sympathy for that. It's no one else's fault but their own. It's like if a student wanted slack because he's only been in school a few days because he overslept all other days. It's his own fault he's behind.

Mexico also has many pastimes and distractions that reduce football's popularity. So what. Do you want us to feel sorry for you guys. I don't think you'll get that, even from your own fans and players.
    It is a fair point. The u.s. has a huge resource and population advantage. To call comparisons between both leagues "unfair", is disingenuous.
    That probably won't happen. LMX has a stable, far reaching footprint and unwavering support. LMX will probably always be better than your league.

Congrats to the Cementers on winning this friendly tourney.

Hopefully discussion on this never devolves again, with same unproven points being brought up again as they have been in this forum for years now.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You want a pat on the back or what?

20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

What's your point? That Liga MX is better than MLS? It is. Does that boost your ego or does it make you feel more manly because you follow Liga MX? I just don't get the point every single time of guys coming over to MLS forum just watching over to make sure no one says anything bad about their league because it is like an offense to them. Even mods from here also contribute to help "visitors". Just wondering but does anyone from here go over to the MX forums and do the same?

Here let me help you......MLS SUCKS all hail the great gloriosa Liga MX. MLS is no good they should just shut it down and stick to football or basketball or whatever else, everyone should just follow Liga MX because it is so much better....... does it feel better now?

21. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know if you're on here thinking you're defending MLS or something, but you're definitely making us look worse so ah... please stop.

22. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er, right. But what relevance is that to the discussion? Every nation has alternative pastimes, but beyond the US/Canada I don't think any other nation has four sports that traditionally dominate the sporting landscape and that also act as a magnet to the best players in the world in those sports. You are the one on here crowing that LMX is better than MLS, all I've done is give you the very good reasons for that. Go and behave like this on a Brazilian football site and see how far you get. Let's face it, that is a far better barometer of LMX success - similar populations and two football loving nations. But of course Brazilian football is actually GOOD, whereas Mexican football is a laughing stock outside North America.

This is conjecture and is based on absolutely nothing. Given the notable difference in wealth and populations of the two countries, there is no reason why MLS shouldn't carve out it's place in the sporting landscape. It is all about turning LMX/EPL viewers into MLS viewers. At that point, it's a major sporting player and that day could well be not far away.

Oh and just so that you know, "my league" is not MLS. I follow this site and have done for 2 decades because I find the development of MLS quite interesting from afar. I'm English, my leagues are the English Premier League and the English Football League - both the EPL and Championship absolutely crap all over the LMX (a league that doesn't produce or pay world class players or win anything of note) using every conceivable measure, but you won't find me trolling Mexican football sites to remind you of this glaring fact.

An Unpaved Road and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Fail

24. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm afraid not. I've simply thrown your drivel back in your face.

Win.

25. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you are asking if there are MLS posters that also contribute to BSMX discussions, then yes.

Except that this thread is to discuss the annual tournament formed by these two leagues, with a long-term merger in mind. How they compare with each other is pretty germane to the conversation, whereas English leagues are not.