MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    nbarbour repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollingshead STILL not getting called up while guys like Garza and Lovitz do makes me very sad.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, Actually what happened was that Klinsmann didn't see him as starting material and Nagbe didn't want to sit on the bench. From there it was a question of whether it was better to go to Jan camp with a manager who didn't rate him or sit at home with family.

Anyway, Nagbe will sell tickets for Earnie. I would never play him personally but I think you have to take public's interest into consideration, especially for a young soccer country like USA where there isn't much sophistication that goes into team selection.

We are looking at 2026 at this stage. I don't see it happening in 2022.

5. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you know this for a fact...how? I see all kinds of rumors about different players and most cannot be substantiated. We do not, at least I don't, know what happened between any players and their coaches unless they are wearing a wire or a reliable someone on the inside reports this. Players are hurt by these types of rumors. It really is very negative on your part to state this in so "matter of fact" way.

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Haven't we had this conversation about Nagbe before, over and over? What has changed?

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nothing

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Sands season probably came to an end tonight after a broken collarbone.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC-SJE a very good game right now. came for TT, Yueill, and Lima. But its Wondo and Feilhaber who refuse to go quietly into the night.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And Busio comes on 73'.

11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought Lletget was pretty good for LA in the first half. They've been down a man since the 6th minute, but they've actually had a slight edge in possession, and Lletget has been a big part of controlling the ball in midfield. He also had the assist on the LA goal on a nice cross to Zlatan.

Morris and Roldan have been disappointingly passive, like the whole Seattle team, considering they're playing against 10 men. Though Morris did have a good run to set up the Seattle goal. He should be looking to get in behind LA more often in the 2nd half.

edcrocker and IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    How will Nagbe sell tickets for Earnie? I would love to hear your reasoning on that.

jaykoz3, largegarlic and ifsteve repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Excellency and reasoning don’t tend to go hand n hand.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How good is Julian Gressel

edcrocker repped this.
  15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    That clip cuts off Nagbe getting the sequence started by dribbling out of pressure to find Gressel.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "pressure" . Is that what you call it? Savarese pressure. But don't get me started.

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutman's passing, especially in the final 3rd, looks really slick. So Cincy is the worst spot for him in the league. He would have been a great fit with Atlanta to replace Shea.

Not a good weekend for the boys. Didn't help a couple usual flavors like Mueller and Toye weren't available. Some standouts were Robinson, Nagbe, Hollingshead, Altidore, Guzan, and Turner.

Here's blog posts on a couple inspired by their play:

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2019/8/18/20810608/chalkboard-fc-dallas-montreal-impact-ryan-hollingshead

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/08/matt-...ing-with-record-performance-against-red-bulls

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    taylor? is that you?

i KNEW there was some reason you so irrationally overrate mls players...

tomásbernal repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only hear Taylor Twellman's voice when I read this.

manq360 repped this.
  20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Galaxy playing a B team against Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup game tonight. I guess the only thread-relevant guys playing would be Cuello, Alvarez, and Corona. Halftime thoughts:

I was going to say that Cuello was just straight up bad, but he did get the equalizer for the Galaxy on a well hit shot from 25 yards or so. Still struggled other than that, and looks to me like a mediocre MLS starter at best.

Corona is looking pretty decent playing as a deeper-lying CM. He's been doing well breaking up Cruz Azul's possession and helping LA keep some of the ball. I don't think he's the sort of guy who would really raise the level of the USMNT, but he's one in the category of, "Well, if we're giving caps to guys like Mihailovic and Trapp, why not Corona?"

Alvarez looked better than when I saw him in the last Leagues Cup game. He's not giving away the ball as much (though he still went for the hero ball a couple times when it absolutely wasn't on), served in a great cross on FK that probably should have resulted in a goal, and while not strong defensively exactly (he needs to get "stuck in" more, to use an Anglicism), he has been putting in the work tracking back and getting some pressure to the ball.

wixson7 repped this.
  21. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally different logic. Corona is 29 years old and he is what he is. He isn't going to become something he's currently not. But Mihalovic is just 20. WAY more upside potential he could further develop than Corona.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what did i miss that got Tim Parker planted to the bench?? dude should be starting. If Im Nashville im picking up the white courtesy phone and making that trade now.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    New contract-itis.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lima starting at rb for SJ vs. Lafc tonite.

Yueil also starting. TT not in 18. Probably resting after packed schedule.

Annnnndddd……..Lima puts in a vicious tackle at 2'. No foul as Atuesta nurses is toes in a drama worthy of a Shakespearean treatment.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopez just got turned by Rossi.....BAD. 1-0