MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I disagree. The Bills of the 1990s were a great team that went to 4 Super Bowls. To say that they sucked or weren’t great is just wrong.

IndividualEleven, jaykoz3 and Winoman repped this.
  2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I'm biased as a NYC supporter, but James Sands is who I'm most excited about right now in the U-20 MLS group. Not just because I think he's got it, but because i have been hearing for a couple years now that NYCFC has an elite academy system. With James Sands being the first real product of that (when the club launched in '15, they started out with the younger ages and added older age teams as these originals aged into them) hopefully we have many more to come!

Anyway, I'm very disappointed that he won't be able to go in the WC. Tough timing for this injury.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Garza has recovered from his injury and returned to the Cincinnati starting XI, but Saief is out with a hamstring injury. Lovitz starts as usual for Montreal.

4. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Amaya is starting too

schrutebuck repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Fatai Alashe subs on for Cincinnati and immediately makes an impact, receiving a cross from Lamah at the top of the 18 and scoring.

Jesus Ferreira also make an impact for FC Dallas as an early sub. A Badji injury gets him in the match in the first half, and Ferreira heads a deep cross from Hayes into the net. Lazy defending by NYRB, I think he found a gap too easily.

Altidore returns to the 18 today for Toronto, as does Aaronson for Philadelphia.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Brutal MLS schedule makes Toronto v Philly a tired legs vs fresh legs affair instead of an intense competitive game between the two leaders in Eastern conference.

Toronto plays today 5/11, Wed @ Atlanta 5/8, @ Orlando 5/4, v. Portland 4/27

Today is their 4th game in 15 days and 3rd in 7 days after playing first two away in the south.

League should care more about product quality. This isn't any fun to watch regardless of outcome.

FormerNo10 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Fewer international dates would really help.

Oh, but FIFA and the national federations make bank off those.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seriously do we expect good football in Phoenix and Miami in July and no football in those places in December - February? Sounds like a recipe for poor product quality. MLS should go to North-South alignment with football year round. Give south off July/August, give North off December/January. (those dates could be fine tuned a little).

There's a ton of New Yorkers in Florida over the winter. A Red Bull or NYCFC v. Miami or Orlando game in Feb with a big away fan section would be cool. There's also tons of Canadian snowbirds in Florida. So you line up Toronto, Montreal, NYC, Red Bulls and Philly to play v. Miami and Orlando (where their pre-season training would be anyway) to kick off the season, as an example.

Warm winter teams: SJ, LAfc and Galaxy, Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Houston, MIami, Orlando, Atlanta, Sacramento, Nashville (San Antonio, S.Diego, L.Vegas?)

Cold weather teams in December and January: Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, Minny, Chitown, KC, Toronto, Montreal, NYCfc, Rbulls, Philly, NE, Columbus, Cincinnati, DC

I would dump the Open Cup and I'm not sure about the CCL. I'd figure out the league schedule then go to Concacaf and say here are the dates we can do.

9. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I’m just about to start bragging about what a good defender Nick Lima is when Juan Agudelo sneaks in front of him and pokes a goal in.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Rodriguez?

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Memo Rodriguez(23) plays for Houston.

Lapper drops the possession % to 26 and the Revs are throttling San Jose. Pragmatism over ideology. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run.

Agudelo will certainly make Team of the Week.

Martino2Buddle repped this.
  12. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Rapids game for first time all year because they now have Lewis. He looks lively and lightning fast as always but unfortunately Rapids are still awful. They have their 16 year old homegrown RB Anderson playing LB and he gave up first goal via a penalty and then got beat by Baird over the top for 2nd. Don't see it with that Anderson kid as he has no pace at all.

13. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Fantastic finish by Baird... nice chip outside the foot getting passed Howard.

Lewis helped create the Rapids goal and would’ve gotten an assist but it went off a bad Glad clearance. Lewis is looking DANGEROUS. Crazy what having the confidence of the coach can do for you

adam tash repped this.
  14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan with a scorcher from outside the box....now if he can just play for the USMNT like he does for the Sounders....

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nycfc is straight up anti-american...no one can convince me otherwise.

Martino2Buddle and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Rapids 2-3 RSL

Glad should've been red-carded. His game has plateaued and declined.
    Saucedo and Baird did good jobs on the flanks. Both wingers defended well and covered ground.
    Acosta had a nice goal from his a-mid position. He needs games and needs to improve his physicality.
    Lewis: was lively. Helped set up a goal. Needs games to improve his consistency.
    Anderson: Baird made for a difficult matchup. Needs to be playing in USL2.

wixson7, RalleeMonkey and Sombrerito repped this.
  17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still an idiot... no one can convince me otherwise.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I fast forwarded to 76' when Keaton Parks came on. He played a great game. Sean Johnson made an ass of himself. I have no idea why US Soccer insists on calling him in as our 3rd best GK. It's just idiotic. Sean Johnson is why the rest of the world holds American soccer in such low esteem.

Go to 2:40 and watch to end

Martino2Buddle, Alex Blanton and wixson7 repped this.
  19. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    Now these are the types of highlights that really get Coach B excited.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hope Frei's save on Ellis makes gotw competition. Starts at 3:37 of hilites

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Nice skill, but the Roldan shot would have been saved by a decent international goalkeeper.

Martino2Buddle repped this.
  22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on. There may be 10 keepers in the world who'd save that shot.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that wasn’t getting saved. Two weeks in a row he gets a clear whack at a bouncing ball outside the box and scores both. On a roll! May the bounces keep coming.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    well duh! it's part of their mission statement! haven't you read it?

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It wasn't moving all that fast and had no wiggle and the placement wasn't all that far in the top corner. You should take those shots and this shows why.