MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    His significant other will be, by definition, a Scally WAG.

Just thought I'd point that out.

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure do love attacking straw men, THHF...

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    @ussoccer97531 thought he was one of two good players in the u17 tourney finals

There's almost nothing good to say about what we saw at this tournament. Among our good players, KHF and Scally were the only two players who I thought had good tournaments, although both arguably were playing out of position

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2019-u17-world-cup-cycle.2076693/page-72#post-38278598

I haven't seen much of ussoccer9751 on these boards for a while now. Good call on Scalley. I also liked Scalley. I wasn't sure if he just matured early. It's hard to tell with the 17 yr olds. They have experts who look at that.

My own opinion: "Scalley is a guy who has shown some chops in this tournament"
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/20...erlands-11-2-7-00pm-et.2107197/#post-38277276

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they see the physical tools for a cb and decide to move him there. He was a wreck at fullback. Turned and burned. Couldn't change directions on the dribble. Bad choices in possession.

But his size is befitting of a cb, speed and dribbling out of the back could make him an asset in those departments, lack of shiftiness wouuld be mitigated, as well as decisions in possession so long as he'd play it safe. If they want to play out of the back he's going to have to keep improving in that department. I know he's very young - yada yada. Can only go off what info we have now.

They're making the buy off that and the projection. Can't be too confident about what that means when they were offering Durkin and many other suspects rather than prospects that type of coinage as teens.

5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    twoolley and IndividualEleven repped this.
  6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
  7. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I also thought he was one of the few players who looked up to the task at the U17 WC. Heck, he assisted on our only goal! He's quite a bit different than Durkin in that Durkin was always athletically limited but made up for it with instincts and a clean touch (until he didn't) whereas Scally has a lot more to offer in the athleticism department. KHF was the best player in the age group but I'm not sure I'd say anyone else was better than Scally in the tournament or really even through the few qualifying rounds I saw. That being said, I do agree with you that he could end up as a CB but he definitely has more offensive capabilities than your average CB. Like most young defenders, he needs work there and you know he'll get it in Germany. Maybe eventually he ends up as a good ball-playing center back. We can never have too many of those.

Overall, I like players that have high-enough potential moving to Europe at a young age. Maybe he'll be the next Geoff Cameron and surprise us all. Maybe he won't. To me it's like the lottery, the more players that give it a try, the better.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe probably replaces Artur

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Crew are shopping him around the league.

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United, please don't answer the doorbell!

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd like to see him at Toronto as they pawn off Bradley, probably to LAFC. Trapp, Fraser would make a good rotation at the 6 for Reds. They would be all set for the forseeable future. Trapp is underrated because he played for Egg.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not sure if TFC want another athletically limited 6.

Given their softness, from a footballing perspective, I'm not sure Bradley to LAFC makes sense.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 finals in 4 seasons is not bad at all

Excellency repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    TFC state they're looking to re-sign Bradley. I'm guessing his numbers are going to have to significantly drop.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Their expenditures cannot be ignored when discussing TFC's success. Whether Bradley was, on the field, a hindrance or not is a matter of conjecture.

In interviews, people around TFC have hailed Bradley for his impact on the team's professionalism and work ethos more so than his on-field impact.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People can badmouth Bradley's recent form the USMNT all they want.

But they cannot discount the impact he's had on TFC.
    Since he's gotten there they've been to three MLS Cup finals (winning one), won a Supporter's Shield, went to the final of the CONCACAF Champions League, won three Canadian Championships, etc. etc.

TFC was an utter laughing stock in the league until just about the time Bradley arrived there. He wasn't the only one to help turn them around, but he definitely played an important role.

Obviously, they can't bring him back on his current salary. But there should be no surprise that they want to bring him back. Hell, they can make him a player/coach. Cuz we all know he's going to be a coach.

xbhaskarx and Dr.Phil repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comment verifies what we already suspected, which was that Torrent had a prejudice against American players.

ON KEATON PARKS GROWTH

"The thing that he changed the most is that at the beginning he would focus only when he had the ball. This is very American because American players go forward and forward without even thinking."

Which is a horses**t comment about Parks especially because one thing I remarked on when he was at Benfica was how intelligent his movement was. He was one of the headiest players on the field w/out the ball. If anything he wasn't overly athletic to be more involved in the game.

It would be huge if they plucked from their academy for next manager ala FCD. NYCFC has one of the best academies in the country and a lot of that talent could go to waste otherwise. Need to find a way to maximize all their talent streams being in a large market.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's rumored that it is going to be Gio von Bronckhorst as CFG seem to want him in their system (perhaps as an eventual Pep successor). He is at Feyenoord now, and did coach in their youth ranks, so my super-superficial view is that he will be more open to young players. Though who knows.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've learned that you can never predict which coach will play youth. I've missed badly on some I thought would and didn't and been surprised by some who I thought had no need to play youth but did anyway.

IndividualEleven and butters59 repped this.
  21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2972 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not good enough for an established MLS team anymore, and only worth 100k of allocated money, even w/ the int'l boost; but warrants a starting spot for the US national sometimes (like tonight!). Might want to reconsider that decision finally, Gregg. You seem alone on this one.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IndividualEleven and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks like Parks is headed back to Benfica.

Curious comment considering he was trained by a Portuguese former pro and then by Benfica.