MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I said EPB should be in GCas a dmid and the boo birds came out.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not from me. I'd argued for it previously myself, and at the time of the roster selection I was on the fence about it. Destroyer 6 is a need going fw, he's shown a lot of potential there, he has the skill-set + physical attributes to translate internationally, and there was something there between the pro and youth samples if you put it all together. Just at the time unfortunately he wasn't playing for SKC for a variety of reasons, some out of his control. You can take a hunch like that, or maybe 2 per a roster like b-team GC, but it has to be limited. They are exceptions, not rules. Some want us to call up all or mostly youth players/European reservists, like a good percentage project to help us later, let alone the rest of the cycle which needs to be primary consideration.

But a rangy, destroyer/stay at home 6 affords you the ability to not have another 6 next to him, and fb's which have the freedom to get fw. Let's be clear about the benefits of having a player like EPB in your midfield, and use that to put out more offensive-minded players to complement him.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Was just looking for the post somebody made about age of our GC squad and ages of other squads but couldn't find it. I did find a discussion of youth and how great it is suddenly when Germany won Confed Cup beating the veteran top ranked Chile team with a bunch of young un's.

In the middle of the back and forth, the news was posted that Arena had just named Chris Pontius to join the GC team when Saief went out injured.

I was actually interested in knowing how many current GC players were eligible for their U20 teams last cycle - i.e. the one just finished this year.

I can understand not taking Glad, who is arguably as good as our present cb corps, since we are so strong in the cb position. I don't get why we didn't spread the midfield selection a little more to include some passing - Delgado, McNamara - or a good single 6 candidate if we had one - EPB.

I like Roldan fine, but to say I would take him over Delgado, Williams, EPB? Why not have some competition? I suppose Sargent would be stretching things but his selection would not have been outrageous and I believe he would still be eligible for U17's in the fall.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's gone at the end of the year. They dicked him around too long and he's got interest abroad.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany doesn't have a collegiate system adding 2, 3, 4, 5 years to player's ages by the time they've emerged.

Barring exceptions like I said (maybe you can take 1-2 flyers taking into account circumstance for not playing more), players have to warrant inclusion to the USNT with their 1st team play.

Delgado and McNamara aren't regular starters for their MLS teams and aren't very highly rated in the advanced metrics this season. Can't just pick all guys because they're your favorites since they were on the youth teams, regardless of what they've done since.

There are only so many spots on the roster and at a position. Roldan takes priority (over just about anyone) due to his lack of chances, all-around ability, and performance w/ a 1st team this season and last. As is, he hasn't even gotten on the field yet.

I'd have taken Roldan, Williams, McCarty, Acosta, and maybe EPB as c(d)m types. Regardless if you're not particularly a fan of what Acosta does at the position, which I'm not either, he deserves his shot on club play. He needs to prove he's not sufficient before you move onto the next. You can't base your squad on virtually pure hypothesis that will be proven false more often than not and when players actually performing well for the clubs will be alienated. The integration system has to be fairly merit-based.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good gamble but Dallas had some open looks that might have made that a a bad gamble. KC did too BTW, this was a game of bad finishing and touches around the box from both teams. I agree with the Cannon and Pomykal talk. I haven't seen them enough to be sure but Cannon looks better than Grana who IMHO lost the game with his petulant stop when stripped of the ball which led to the first goal. Cannon would have given KC tons of trouble by having even more speed than Barrios on that side and having both at once. His crosses are of a high quality while Grana shows flash but few results. Pomykal outplayed Javi Morales in the last game they both started together in the Open Cup. I am disappointment more minutes haven't been available for the youngsters this year. Hard to believe I'm more bullish than OP.

xbhaskarx, deuteronomy, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2332 Excellency, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    We cant take everybody, sure. What I was focusing on was need. We needed good passing, according to Arena - which I agree with . I happen to think McNamara is a long shot and he's not a favorite of mine. He can pass. Edit: It was Arena who picked McNam for his 40.

Delgado is another story. He does start for Toronto by the way. Metrics are not useless for sure. I think you pointed out how far down Acosta is in the rankings in certain categories in another post. I'm not going to get into Delgado's game here but there's a reason he starts with guys like Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore, Morrow, Vazquez, Moor, etc. He starts ahead of a lot of guys at the Gold Cup. Does Arena think Vanney is stupid?

The idea, it seems to me, is to identify needs and who fills them, not pick some guy who is an athlete and has to play until proven otherwise. We are never winning a WC with that criteria. Did Lowe say, gee, I'd like to play some young guys but until proven otherwise I have to go with same ol', same ol' in the confed cup final? Nope

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah all eyes on benny next game, he killed the quakes last game. I think hes done it the last two games actually against us.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    schrutebuck and Winoman repped this.
  11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure where to put this.

The best prospect in the Union system is 17 year old Anthony Fantana. He broke his cherry vs Swansea recently and today Philly announced they have signed him to a home grown deal with the first team.

Bajoro, bballshawn, justinpaul10 and 3 others repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked very slow and tentative. He said that he was not close to 100% and still had significant pain especially when he tried to strike the ball. He is back on the pitch because the LA docs told him he has to play through the pain.

In true JJ fashion he did attempt to take on the challenge of guarding Pogba and did manage to get under Pogba's skin.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sean Davis scored a good goal, and apparently another impressive game for him so far. He seems to be picking up momentum now, and looking more like the player Red Bulls and some here thought he'd be to start the season. But needs to continue riding this wave for a while to declare him back or arrived as the unquestioned starter and a nt prospect.

Fafa Picault also added to his tally, taking advantage of a bad giveaway at the back by Montreal.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I kind of think Davis got a raw deal. Adams was handed a spot when he wasn't ready, Davis is probably the better player right now.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes has the ball rolling now, after he got off the schneid recently. Scored another goal, and his defense appears to be developing. He looked like he had issues with range/bite earlier in the season. Worried they may be unfixable, but he may have been uptight. Good thing about Olsen working there is his dad's former teammate was going to give him plenty of leeway. Don't think he deserved consistent starts earlier this season. Connections don't make your career, but they help you get your foot in the door, and buy you more chances than others, certainly. Of course these connections exist with the current nt manager as well.

HartwickFan, TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan scored the game winner in Seattle's feverish 4-3 comeback win over DC. Played it right around the defender, and megged the keeper. When he actually gets a real shot with the national team finally, he will seize it. Bruce can only hold him off so long.

HartwickFan and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  17. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davis was not good in the two Champions League games and lost his spot to Adams. Since that time, Adams has had one poor outing and that was versus NYCFC. His other outings have ranged from okay to solid to very good. And in any case, none would warrant a long term benching or a "he's not ready" characterization. Particularly given the usual ups and downs of most professional players. (E.g. Sacha has had more poor performances this season than Adams). He was also very good last night. He is 18 and doing quite well and by most accounts represents what US fans should hope to see from a developmental perspective (youth team success>>>2nd division team success>>>first team progression).

xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking just about Davis, he got benched after 2-3 league games, where he himself was solidly rated objectively and subjectively. There was just a disappointment he didn't stand out more because he was replacing Dax, who himself didn't stand out, rather developed a rep over the years as a low-key winner. The benching and expectations were not deserved. Subsequently when he got opportunities he appeared to be feeling the pressure and underachieved. The last few games he's played with a lot more freedom and tenacity. This is what I think he would have built into, from mere solid play, after the beginning of the season, if expectations weren't unrealistic. Or he would have just remained solid, which would have been fine too.

Marsch could always play both and bench/trade Felipe, or he can get creative like he did last night so they all see the field. I presume by looking at it he played a diamond. Which makes sense for NYRB's personnel also because of the crappy wing play without Grella. Then the 3 cm's + Sacha could all get in there. Or Adams can play rwb.

19. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Davis and think he's a fine player. I think his early season struggles were as much about the structural change to the midfield as anything. Sacha was moved out wide to accomodate a second forward. He struggled in a 2 man center midfield a bit early on and I don't think it was entirely his fault. By the time Adams got starts, Jesse had shifted SK back centrally and went back to 1 FWD. Adams performed well. These are good problems to have relatively speaking.

Felipe has been among the team's standout performers and has become a fan favorite as well. He is an important part of what the team does and he's a real a**hole to play against and I don't see him getting benched anytime soon. Nor should he.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ike Opara, who has been released from the hospital following a concussion, has been named the acknowledged frontrunner by the MLS beat reporters as mid season Defender of the Year.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/10/midseason-awards-whos-defender-year-frontrunner

Benjamin Baer, New Media Editor
    Ike Opara.

He’s been the best defender on the best defense in the league. In my book that will always get you in the discussion for Defender of the Year. But that fact is not the only reason I have him here, as he’s opposed his will on opponents throughout the season with his physicality and tactical awareness , stifling many attacks.

Charles Boehm, Contributor
    I've got Ike Opara in a walk here. Anchors the league's stingiest defense – which is on pace to make a run at the MLS record book – and has chipped in couple of (spectacular!) goals. Perhaps most importantly, given his troubled injury history, he has started 18 of SKC's 20 league games to date.

David Gass, Contributor
    I think the group had it handled but there is no way to get away from Ike. One takeaway is, "Damn, if he had been healthy where would he/US be the last three years?

IndividualEleven and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd like to see Ike get a Fall game with NT, MLS scheduling permitting.

The line-up charts showed Adams at wing-back and Davis at left midfield in that curb stomping of San Jose. Can anyone who saw the game confirm this?

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingham should have saved two of those goals for sure that game too IMO

Leitch was comprehensively out coached this one, first good beat down of his young coaching career. Energy drink prepped firvyhe three man back lol me and took it out back. Yueill didn't have his best game back there but I still think he's the best option for playing the new ball we are trying to play that's been successful to this point.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to stay the course. hated, hated hated Dom ball at Houston and SJ. can't imagine fans were too happy even if they won. Reminds me of Hyndman here. If we won we didn't deserve it but got lucky. Now we look good (mostly) even when we lose. All fans deserve that.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup I'll take it, those games happen to everyone. Worst thing to do is a panic rotation.

Guzan looks sharp his first game for Atlanta, saved atlantas bacon just now

deuteronomy repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta are scoreless and Carleton is on the bench. Who does Tata call upon for an attacking spark first - Chris McCann?