MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We aren't calling up anybody on a 4 game stretch - no need to hypothesize "if". It doesn't add anything at all to the discussion.

In his last outing, LIma had more touches than all but 3 other players on Quakes. Of the 14 to get minutes he had the 3rd worst rating on the team meaning he had the ball and couldn't do anything net positive.

If you want to say that last game was an outlier because he was facing Ellis,, Quioto, Garcia, Torres and other Concacaf luminaries, feel free.

2. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Do you know that WS is a shit ratings system that isn't properly weighted and therefore is extremely unreliable when it comes to who's actually "better"? Because all I see you do is make condescending posts and cite WS ratings to try to back up your claims.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Castillo was weaker defending, but offered more in attack.

I'd be interested to see how Garza does under Bruce, TBH. I suspect much of his stay-at-home role was due to Klinsmann.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm not aware of WS having published their statistical algorithm.

Castillo and Garza are both weak defenders. Castillo, however, has near elite pace.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reason Lima is brought up he's proven he can play the left side. That's important fir the pool. Nerwinski I like a ton but he is exclusively a right sided player

Plus with Limas speed overlapping with FJ or pulisic is salivating. He's a smart player who knows when to get forward and whips on a great cross

I'd like either to get a chance to unseat zusi

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    ....... why do we have so many pool players from the 11th ranked team in MLS?

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2782 adam tash, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    fc dallas? cuz i dont think bruce actually watches much MLS....probably just tells his assistants to. and he just goes on whatever his son and richie williams say. (what a ridiculous concept, fwiw)

also, there's the fact that the ranking of MLS teams in the standings generally has more to do with DP foreigners than US players....so calling up USMNT player from MLS based on standings wouldnt make sense. (though i think teams like skc and tfc who are prospering with key americans are exceptions) calling up piatti, giovinco and valeri's teammates wouldnt really translate to better play, imo.

additionally, the current and recent regimes are all about an extremely gradual integration process into the national team...which renders form and standings mostly irrelevant (even though fcd recent success is a big reason why their players get so much attention). MLS team success does help players get noticed but there is often a year or two lag involved.

i cant be the only one who thinks opara is better than zimmerman and hedges. matter fact, melia opara and besler are a way better option than the fcd trio, imo. but hedges gonzalez and zimmerman are ahead of melia and opara in line cuz thats how the usmnt works....

....if you've played for usmnt before...you are somehow better than players who havent or arent playing recently. (which is a totally absurd way to run things, imo)

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    TFC 3-1 Chicago. Chicago failed to push TFC despite the latter's sloppy play.

Good games from Delgado and Morrow.

Bradley had several dangerous giveaways, each of which
    Chicago somehow failed to punish. Otherwise, he was good
    in controlling midfield.

Altidore was Sunderland-horrible. He was plodding. He passed when he should have attacked the goal. His instincts around the area were poor. On one prime scoring opportunity, he fell over the ball in the area. TFC's forward play improved when Rickets subbed in for Jozy.

Jozy is and always has been horrible at making runs off the ball. But the other aspects from the Sunderland days cropped up. Hopefully, this game was a one-off.

Connor had a nice release on his crosses. Even with tight marking, they were hard to prevent.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I would say that it is due to MLS fanboy and MLS website writers' wishcasting FC Dallas as the model franchise and the MLS academy as the pre-eminent tool in developing the national team, when the truth is that reality television has developed nearly as many USMNT starters as the academy system.

bsky22 repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I would imagine part of it is that Opara can't stay healthy. If he can't play more than a month or two at a time before being injured again, he's basically useless to the MNT. As for Besler or Melia; age. Both are over 30 and are on the fringes of the MNT. Since neither is a starter, why wouldn't Arena or any coach prefer the younger guys who will not only gain from the experience on the bench but who will also be around for the next cycle.

While Arena is absolutely focused on 2018 there needs to also be a focus on building this next, younger, hopefully better generation of players for 2022 and beyond.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Conner is better in midfield.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis scores the goal of the week and the next he's benched for a foreign dp. Damn, all these inferior Americans getting starts unchallenged over these superior foreigners in MLS! If things weren't this way we would have a better developmental system instead of a country of producing a country of soft, unmotivated footballers.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  13. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Maxi is a better player than Lewis currently and gives us the best chance of winning the title this season if you're choosing one or the other.

What I would love to see is Vieira get creative and figure out a way to play Maxi, Villa, Lewis, and Harrison together frequently as an attacking group. As an NYCFC fan I would rather pull mins from Rodney Wallace and give those to Lewis instead of MM.

deuteronomy repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't so much a referendum on the decision for the season, rather this match. If you contribute like that one week you shouldn't come out the next. I really don't think that would happen if not for the dp contract. It's atypical behavior for a manager to switch what worked and not reinforce positive play. Yes, he could have left Moralez or Wallace off this game. Pick one.

Either way, it is an example of young Americans not getting the opportunities they should in MLS right now due to various factors, and that's the real problem now, not that they aren't being challenged for spots, which is the opposite of the truth in most situations. The satire was a commentary on some fans blindly making multiple conflicting criticisms of MLS and parroting our former nt manager like he hasn't proven to be a charlatan.

Dirt McGirt and adam tash repped this.
  15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Wow Johnson just let up an absolute howler.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Boom! Looks like we were both right to a degree - Lewis comes on for Wallace (albeit way later than either of us would've preferred) and bags the winner.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better late than never, I suppose. He took advantage of the minor opportunity. Now they can't really deny him a spot until he proves he doesn't deserve it, can they? Too bad they aren't part of the midweek slate, otherwise he'd almost surely start again.

Good first touch and finish. He seemingly has all the tools to be a successful winger, be it either the width or cut-in type. Could be an important development for USS if this continues to materialize.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Because they'd done quite well the past couple of seasons. Selections aren't based on 4-games form.

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #2794 KALM, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Yep, they were the Supporter's Shield winners last season, and finished tied for first in total number of points the season prior.

However, I'd also dispute the premise that our pool is disproportionately made up of FC Dallas players right now. Here's a list of teams ranked by the number of players capped by the USMNT within the past 12 months (while playing for those clubs). Players with at least 5 caps in that period are in bold.

1. Seattle - 5 (Dempsey, Evans, Marshall, Morris, Roldan)
    2. Kansas City - 4 (Besler, Dwyer, Feilhaber, Zusi)
    3. Toronto - 3 (Altidore, Bradley, Morrow)
    Dallas - 3 (Acosta, Hedges, Zimmerman)
    LA - 3 (Jones, Lletget, Zardes)
    Tijuana - 3 (Arriola, Corona, Orozco)
    7. Philadelphia - 2 (Bedoya, Pontius)
    Colorado - 2 (Howard, Jones)
    New England - 2 (Agudelo, Rowe)
    Atlanta - 2 (Garza, Guzan)
    DC - 2 (Birnbaum, Hamid)
    RSL - 2 (Beckerman, Rimando)
    San Jose - 2 (Bingham, Wondolowski)

*This is all from the USMNT Wikipedia page, so I can't guarantee it's completely accurate, but it looks about right to me.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to me, it's gotten to the point that for a lot of promising young americans in MLS - way more than ever before - that if they were in similar situations i.e. playing time on a european/mexican team....usmnt fan posters would be clamoring for them to get loaned out or switch leagues.....and talking about how the player chose a bad team to sign for.....

somehow sitting on an MLS bench doesnt nearly draw the same level of criticism....

several factors - 1, i think people assume if a player isnt starting in MLS it means they arent good enough - even if they show well in limitied minutes or are stuck behind an unbenchable DP or vet - 2, the only way out of MLS these days is playing out your contract and signing on free so there arent really many options for "unproven" players hoping to move out of MLS. 3 - young americans cant choose what mls team they play for so its hard to blame them for being stuckmon a team that doesnt play them. 4, if a player isnt playing then it us hard to be sure that they should be. 5, if a player is in a foreign league it generally means they had some hype and are therefore held to higher expectations (rightly or wrongly)...among others.....

whatever the case, if a young player is good enough to make an MLS roster these days - and especially if they are showing well in limited minutes - which many are - it means they are good enough to be a pro somewhere - and if they are good enough to be a pro somewhere...they should be getting regular minutes somewhere not riding the bench.

personally, i feel greater player control over their MLS rights will do a lot to fix this problem.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Vieira is doing exactly what he should do. You are looking at one play. Vieira is looking at many.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good overall rating the previous match, and scored again to gain them two extra points.

Again, seldom do managers sit a player after a performance like that. They at least have to earn their way back to the bench with a bad game subsequently.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When you're an old pro. Lewis is a rookie.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    WS NT MLS Team of the Week 24
    (player score)team avg

--------------------Silva(7.5)6.4-----
    ---------Roldan(7.2)7.0---Dempsey(7.5)7.0---Nagbe(7.8)7.2---
    ------------------Canouse(7.6)7.0---Delgado(7.5)7.0---
    ---Lovitz(7.8)7.2-------------------------------------------------Zusi(8.6)7.0
    -----------------Marshall(8.0)7.0-------Birnbaum(7.4)7.0---
    ---------------------------------Bono(7.7)7.0----

Player of the Week: Zusi Marshall Franklin Lovitz Nagbe
    U24 Player of the Week: Canouse Delgado Arriola

Honorable Mention:
    RM:
    Arriola(7.4)7.0 Bunbury(7.3)6.5 Finlay(7.2)6.6
    LB: Sweat(7.6)6.8 DeLeon(7.3)7.0 Lovitz(7.3)7.1
    CB: Moor(7.3)7.0 Besler(7.2)7.0 RB: Franklin(7.8)7.0 Duvall(7.2)7.1
    GK: Hamid(7.6)7.0 Attinella(7.6)7.2 Bush(7.4)7.2 Steffen(7.2)6.6

Weekly Stats:
    MOTM:
    Franklin Zusi
    Goals: Bunbury Delgado Finlay Lewis Marshall Silva
    PK Goal: Dempsey Wondolowski
    Assists: Zusi(2) Sweat Thompson
    Drawn PK: Dempsey Salinas
    Clearance off the Line: Glad
    Last Man Tackle: Franklin

edcrocker repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What happened to Acosta and Dallas?

Canouse with the nice debut for DC.

Zusi pushes for a start at Honduras.

Morris may be better on the left.

Roldan displays his versatility

Finlay lands on his feet with Minny.

Delgado, though undersized for the skillset and position, continues to excel.

Duvall is quietly putting together a good season.

weird formation/selection by New England