MLS Flavors of the Week, 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2016.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton was never going to start and see significant minutes in the MLS his first year at 16 going on 17. He can and will get minutes in rotation behind the two DP's they signed. Tata will bring him along and if he's good enough he will get more time. Also don't know his passport situation but if it's not there he'd have to wait till 18. Depending on his contract he can still book it at a young age to go abroad if he isn't seeing the field.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's sixteen! It's my opinion that 16 year olds shouldn't be gifted playing time but should have to earn it. Personally I think getting to train alongside great attacking talent in a competitive environment is going to make him a better player.

Besides, we are talking about attackers. They get subbed and rotated a lot more than defenders. If he's ready, he'l see time. But once again, he's only 16. He may be a great prospect, but even a lot of our great prospects don't earn big minutes that young.

3. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    I have been meaning to ask you for a while - how often would you say the sky is falling in an average day in your life?

Is it just the Trapp's, Hamid's and Carleton's of the world that get you this worked up or do your co-workers get routine ear-fulls about why management is stupid for not giving you yet another promotion when you could do the job so much better than the other idiots that keep getting the opportunities?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe you should go back to being upset about how you think people put up conspiracy theories to defend Hamid, even though thats a figment of your imagination.

This isn't the first time that you've tried to ask me this question. I feel bad for you that you are so concerned with me. Let me assure you this, I spend no time worried about you.

5. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has any US player in recent memory fallen further and faster than Mix? Setting up a WCQ goal against Mexico and making a WC squad to struggling to make the bench for an MLS team and getting left exposed in an expansion draft in 3 years

It's a shame, I think he could've been a really good classic #10 if we'd had him in the 90s. But his style just doesn't fit the modern game

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if he wasn't exposed?

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    fyp

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only finer defender than Chad Marshall that's ever played for the Azzurri was maybe Paolo Maldini and anybody who stands in the way of Carleton, Prince of the USS' ascension to king shall be beheaded by Sir Landon of Donovan's decree.

9. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    The MLS flavors this week are all those who were fortunate enough not to be selected by Minnesota in the expansion draft.

Maybe I should just go back to being upset about how I think people put up conspiracy theories to defend Hamid, even though thats a figment of my imagination. It's like an addiction. I have to admit, at times I can't help myself.

By the way, thanks for taking breaks from thinking about Hamid, Carter-Vickers, Trapp, Carleton, or con men like Pochettino, Klinsmann and Arena to worry about me.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    MLS is placed #23 in my entirely subjective rankings, although I lack knowledge of most African leagues, which are impossible to follow. If the Tunisian LP1 & the Moroccan Botola are stronger than MLS (which is possible, but haven't watched anything there since 2014), then they're #25.

It may sound bad, but the differences between #16 & #25 are not that big. On a good day, I see the Sounders beating any mid-table Belgian team.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In soccer you create your own luck. For instance, if Jozy and Giovinco were getting the better of their marks all night, we're probably talking about that rather than the fantastic performances by Torres and Marshall. Or is the idea really that no combination of forwards could've overcome the weather/circumstances to actually score in 120 minutes of soccer?

In fairness, Vanney employed a pretty one dimensional strategy that relied on, well, Jozy and Giovinco just being better than their marks. But guess what? Gio and Jozy have never scored or assisted vs. Seattle (or the Galaxy). They seem to get found out against tougher MLS defenses.

deuteronomy repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now something interesting to watch for the soccer nerds among us, is the developments in India and China.

India has adopted our model, with franchises tied to companies, based in a given city but with some degree of flexibility so they can move. There is no pro/rel, and a single entity controls the Hero ISL --which is placed completely outside their football pyramid.

On the other hand, China has gone for a traditional model with their Super League, making it a part of the pro/rel system, and follows an English mold with fan associations and investing agents. They had to fight hard to keep the latter interested after the pro/rel system was finally enforced, too.

Anyway, these two leagues are doing quite well in attendance (easy when you got over a billion people, too), so it'll be interesting to see how they develop in the coming years. They may well become the leagues with highest attendance in the planet by the end of this decade.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #5888 Marko72, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    MN will make use of Chris Duvall most likely (and Red Bulls will wince a bit at his loss). A few months after his comeback from injury, he was an average-to-better starting MLS right back, I believe still on his initial contract if I'm not mistaken. Not a bad pickup for an expansion side, particularly one that is evidently the less wealthy of the two.

EDIT: They dealt him to Montreal plus some GAM for Johann Venegas.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Forgive my ignorance, but what sports do India excel in? I assume cricket to some degree since that's a national obsession, but what else? Person-for-person, I expect that India is probably the least athletic country on earth.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They used to be top notch in all the posh British Empire games, like cricket, field hockey, polo, badminton, etc. but the rest of the world caught up, and now they're barely top 10 in them --except cricket, the sport their masses follow (but seldom have the money to play, so they have street versions --think street soccer in Spain. Italy & S. America).

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he fits fine in this era. his "fall", if you wanna call getting 700k or wahtever h was gatteting eh pat few seasons, is far from irrevocable....he'll still end up a starter on a decent team next season, most likely. theres a groupthink going on amongst a lot of mls coaches that dont favor players like mix but that is not the same thing as saying he doesnt fit this era...the decisions that decisionmakers make are far from impeccable and should not be interpreted as a final verdict.

its very easy to look at a player that isnt getting playing time and internally downgrade them in your mind...but they might be the exact same player now as when they were getting playing time...it could just be the whim of the manager they are playing under. but it still kinda is generally true that when a player isnt getting playing time there is maybe a reason....

to me, when you look at mix' situation closely, you see just how much influence fit/system/team/situation and ulitmately manager bias/prefernce comes to bear in the fortunes of players. which is why these things need to be examined very closely and fine-tuned to the nth degree....and also weighed with that in mind. if a coach deosnt rate a player, it could just be the coach with the problem. or the fit could be wrong. or the politics of having 2 6million dollar players ahead of you on an mls roster....all of these factors need to be remembered when evaluating a player and saying he "just doesnt fit the modern game".....

does anyone really think mix is not good enough to be a good player in MLS now? i dont.

maybe he doesnt fit in a midfield with pirlo and lampard but a lot of good players wouldnt either.

Bajoro and Winoman repped this.
  17. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    How often have they played the Sounders and Galaxy? That's a really small sample size, especially if it doesn't include Jozy's first go around with NY (which would've only been against LA, Seattle wasn't in MLS at the time)

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think of Eddie Johnson when I see GAM so does this new usage mean grown ass money?

napper, Mr Martin, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Any word on how Eddie is doing?

Bajoro repped this.
  20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Sorry, that's General Allocation Money as opposed to the newer form of Targeted Allocation Money. The acronym is an unfortunate one.

(I thought that, too.)

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't counting Jozy's stint with NY. You're right, it's a small sample size but more to the point, I generally observe that Sebastian and Jozy can be made to look pretty average against a strong MLS defense. I don't really worry about those two when they come to town (by contrast, the Martins/Dempsey duo from a few years ago was terrifying because even if you shut those guys down, Seattle had a few other weapons. TFC doesn't, that I observe).

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think is the later.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5898 LouisZ, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    I wouldn't use the EPB comparison just yet, let see what Porto rate is on the kid.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And the Don says no "third" team in NY area. So an Austrian sports drink gets its stadium in the NJ swamp next to the 2 cheapshot NFL teams and we call it NY City and some Arab oil sheiks get a partnership with the Yankees to pay rent on a stadium that is unfit for soccer.

....but an actual stadium in Red Hook Brooklyn to sell soccer and the Brooklyn brand together around the world with exciting stars like Carleton given an opportunity to play? Ha, you're dreaming.

There's one piece of good news, US975..... with NASL out of business it's hard not to think legally of MLS as a monopoly subject to scrutiny. The evidence is piling up that MLS is damaging our youth prospects as you point out and the American brand world wide in general.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Funny but I was threatened with virtual reality exile for saying Mix should play for Norway even as I wasn't surprised he wanst called up by them. People were all over the place praising our great fearless leaders for" persuading" yet another dual nat to play for USA. Now suddenly he stinks? He's the same player, even better than he was when playing for Klinsmann. Why should he go downhill? He's not old, he wasn't injured.