MLS ExtraTime Interview About American Soccer History

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I'm one of the guests on this week's edition of MLS ExtraTime. I talked about my soccer video archive and the old NASL:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...u-alan-gordon-kenny-cooper-highlight-holidays

I am just glad the MLS web site is willing to address soccer history at all. For a long time MLS tried to pretend that soccer in America started in 1996 with the berth of the league. Now MLS is willing to celebrate what came before.

xbhaskarx and Ferdinand Cesarano repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done on that archive of yours Dave.
    And no worries on how MLS HQ used to run over our nation's history of the sport back in the 90's. For it was these same men that thought Americanizing the beautiful game was the way to go for MLS to succeed. The X-Games uniforms was one thing but to go against FIFA Laws of the Game with the clock. Those f'n Larrys.

DaveBrett repped this.
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you for your kind words. It wasn't just in the late 1990s that MLS ignored what came before 1996. For most of the following decade MLS did the same thing. It wasn't until the new teams with NASL names came along (Timbers, Whitecaps, Sounders) that things started to change.