MLS, Europe, etc. (pulled from Camp Cupcake 2016)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    the SI article with Garber directly asked him to comment about revenue sharing and he simply mentioned almost $30m in guarantees and nothing about upside sharing. He in fact was very clear about the specific revenues to be paid to USSF through the end of 2022.

let me know if you see anything contrary to that but I didnt see anything.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Which means, of course that Liga Mex must be a top four league!

:)

3. In the deciding match for the mls title race of Seattle against LA Nicolas Lodeiro is hailed as the for three years now top player of the team and in the mls. This top player came to Ajax, recommended by Suarez, but only managed to be in the team about 10 times in 2.5 years.

sXeWesley and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    all I said was that an english player said that some of the top teams could compete in the PL. I am not agreeing or disagreeing. I do believe it is significant that he would make that statement. I don't have a clue as to the veracity. Also, I think Ajax is a half way decent team. Where would they rank if they played in the Premier league? I would say they probably wouldn't compete for the top spot and maybe not even top four but they would be at least top half I would guess. Maybe I'm way off?

5. From the article:

The larger point of the story is that not every player who comes over from Europe is a world superstar. For every Wayne Rooney or Zlatan Ibrahimovic, there’s someone like FC Dallas defender Reto Ziegler or Real Salt Lake defender Nedum Onuoha. They're quality players who view MLS as an important destination in their career, even if their name recognition doesn't as vast of a reach.

Calling Ziegler or Onuoha quality players says enough about the quality of the players in the mls.
    Put it mildly, but any player called a top player and under 24 and playing in the mls is simply fake news. No top player is playing in the mls if they can play in the EPL, BuLi, La Liga, Serie A or Ligue Un.
    They even prefer to play for Eredivisieclubs like PSV, Ajax or even Feyenoord as those give them exposure to the Euro superteams.

When players like that are bigging up the mls it's for marketing purposes, not honest assessions of the real quality.

sXeWesley repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't disagree. You ALWAYS have to take comments with a grain of salt and consider possible hidden agendas. FWIW, he isn't exactly a top player in MLS. He has a total of 26 appearances in 1.5 years with one of the worst teams in MLS. Outside of MLS he has played at B1 and Premier league level but seems to have been primarily a high level Championship quality player (judging by his resume).

I am not going to say that MLS is at EPL level. Not only that I will stay completely out of the Championsip vs MLS argument as well. Without head to head competition, I think it is impossible to compare leagues unless there is a clear difference. i personally believe there is a clear difference in quality between the Premier league and MLS but I still think it is interesting that he said some teams could compete in the bottom half of the table.

FWIW, I have a feeling that I may be taking that to mean something a bit different than you. To me, competing in the bottom half of the Premier league means losing virtually all of the games against the top half teams, winning 1/3 the rest and drawing another 1/3. being a bottom half team means coming in somewhere between Cincinatti 24% of points available and SKC (37%). It is nowhere near saying that the team is a top team (like Ajax for example).

Is LAFC at least as good as Norwich City? Newcastle? I don't know and that was never my point.

By the way, back to your point about honest assessments and marketing purposes, it would be foolish to pretend that high top players would be above a little propaganda campaign as well. How many players badmouth their own club or league?

By the way, you are much more qualified than me to make a guess on where Ajax would fit in with the premier league. If you don't mind, what guess would you make? top four? 4-6? top half? Just curious.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Last year’s best player in MLS and for ATL is just a guy for NUFC. I think that’s a pretty easy call to compare those two teams. Is LAFC much better than last years ATL?

btlove repped this.
  8. As a Feyenoord fan it's a bit difficult to admit, but they for sure in the current and last season's form are a top 4 epl team. They humiliated Chelsea at home until the referee came to the rescue as he didnot disallow the Chelsea second goal for off side and as an icing on the cake for Chelsea sending of two players and donating a penalty for handsball. In Amsterdam Ajax was robbed by disallowing a goal for a non existant off side that would have given them the lead.
    They are the only team in the CL this and last season unbeaten in away games and if not for the refs blunders they would have added a 3d consecutive win in this campaign in the group.
    And that after everybody expected them to collaps after selling their top star players de Ligt and de Jong, who were hugelyimportant in the last season's CL run.

One can make those Euro league comparisons as the clubs battle each other in the CL/EL cup matches. That's also the stupid thing about those statements about the mls in comparison to Euro leagues. The mls clubs never will meet Euro league clubs in direct do or die matches, so any statement, especially given the players quality compared to even lower table epl clubs players, about how they will do is a lot of hot air.

sXeWesley and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Money isn't everything but it ain't nothing:

NUFC total salary: $48m
    LAFC total salary: $14m

NUFC 6th highest salary: $2.7m
    LAFC 6th highest salary: $525k

NUFC 11th highest salary: $2.5m
    LAFC 11th highest salary: $212k

It would be quite impressive if LAFC could compete with NUFC when its median starter makes 5x less than players on NUFC's bench.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The last time Ziegler played in a Big 4 game was in 2011 and the last time he played in the EPL was in 2006. Since 2011, he played in the Swiss and Turkish leagues for MLS quality teams.

11. If a club has a very good academy, salaries and team values arenot decisive.
    When Ajax started their rise beginning with the EL campaign ending in the final up till now, their team consisted for a huge part out of academy players that initially had relatively low pay and value.
    A club that wants to compete at European level has the choice to either buy the players to match that objective, resulting in very high wage bill and team value or take the more uncertain, but cheaper way by mixing experienced players with young talents still to prove their worth.
    Dutch teams by necesity (lower budgets because of low tv pay out, low sponsor contribution) follow that second MO.
    As Ajax proved comparing money spent without context can be misleading.
    The question is in what MO do NUFC and LAFC operate?

Pegasus and DHC1 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    That's fair. I tried to look up Ajax on Spotrac but not available. LAFC is a new team without a producing Academy. Here's their stats:

Player........................MINS........ Age.. Academy
    Eddie Segura ........... 2955........ 22........ No
    Diego Rossi .............. 2899........ 21........ No
    Carlos Vela ............... 2726........ 30........ No
    Latif Blessing ............ 2689........ 22........ No
    Eduard Atuesta ......... 2636........ 22........ No
    Mark-Anthony Kaye ...2501........ 24........ No
    Jordan Harvey........... 2366........ 35........ No
    Walker Zimmerman... 2169........ 26........ Maybe
    Steven Beitashour..... 1881........ 32........ No
    Adama Diomande..... 1436........ 29........ No
    Tristan Blackmon...... 1377........ 23........ Yes
    Lee Nguyen ............. 1170........ 33........ No

They do not appear to be an Ajax developmental machine. Time will tell if any of these young non-americans get picked up by a major league team for big bucks.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What's your source for the Swiss ranking by World Football Power? The only thing I could find is from 2011 and I doubt you meant that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/786046-power-ranking-the-top-30-leagues-in-europe#slide0

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    On a more local scale, why do Dutchess county fans root for the Yankees rather than the Hudson Valley Renegades?

15. The Ajax success is now also reflected in the upgraded salaries, as the salary budget went up with 60 million, due to paying more to the now as European top players established crew.
    This however creates a problem for the rest of the non top 3 clubs, as with the higher salaries, also at PSV, the median income of the Eredivisie exploded and thus also the forced minimum pay for non EU players. Maybe already next year it becomes impossible for clubs outside the trio PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord to afford themselves talents from outside the EU.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HVR are a Tampa Bay reserve/B/2 team.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    That's my answer to your question of why people root for teams farther away - people tend to root for elite teams rather than the local.

19. What spending spree?

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm waiting for my kids practice to end so i did some data work. Based upon 538 club rankings, I pulled the following rankings:

League..... Avg..... Median..... Best..... Best 3.... Bottom
    Spain1......... 2............ 1............ 4............ 2........... 1
    EPL............. 1............ 2............ 1............ 1............ 3
    B1............... 3............ 3............ 2............ 3............ 4
    UEFA...........4............ 4........... 13..........10............ 2
    Italy1........... 5............ 5............ 5............ 4............ 6
    French1....... 6............ 6............ 3............ 5........... 5
    Brazil........... 8............ 7.......... 10............ 9.......... 10
    Russia......... 7............ 8............ 8 ............8............ 7
    Champ-ship..9............ 9...........17.......... 13............ 9
    LigaMX....... 11...... .....10......... 22...........20...........18
    Portugal...... 10..... .... 11........... 9............ 6............ 8
    Belgium...... 15...... ... 12...........11......... 14.......... 19
    Danish.........19............13..........19............19.........20
    Argentina.....14............14..........16............16..........11
    Dutch...........13............15...........7............7............14
    Swiss...........12............16..........15............15.........13
    Austria.........17............17............6............11.........22
    Turkey..........16............17..........18............17........12
    MLS............20...........19.........23..........23.........23
    Chinese.......18............20..........21............18.........15
    Greece........21............21..........12............12..........21
    B2............. .22............22...........26............25.........17
    Spain2........24............23...........27............26.........16
    Japan.........23............24...........24............24.........25
    Australia.....29............25...........30............29.........28
    Norway.......28............26...........25............27.........24
    French2......27............27...........28............28.........26
    Sweden......25............28...........20............21.........31
    Scotland.....26............29...........14............22.........29
    Italy2...... ...30............30...........33............32.........27
    League1.....32............31...........32............31.........33
    SAfrica.......31............32...........31............33.........32
    USL............33............33...........29............30.........30
    League2.....34............34...........34............34.........34

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brief update on the earlier mentioned Alphonso Davies:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...ations-analysis-thomas-muller-alphonso-davies
    Alphonso Davies dominated the game
    Is Alphonso Davies great or what? Starting in his first ever Klassiker at the tender age of 19, the Canadian wunderkind put in a dazzling performance at left back, keeping both Achraf Hakimi and Jadon Sancho at bay with surprising ease.

He did start off a bit shaky, but thanks to Flick’s system of collective pressing, Kingsley Coman and Joshua Kimmich helped bail him out until he found his bearings. Then, from minute 10 to minute 90, he dominated Borussia Dortmund from end to end. Davies was instrumental in driving Bayern’s attack forward with daring runs and incisive passing, and his pace enabled him to snuff out any fast counters before they could even begin.

Davies ended the game with an excellent stats sheet — 2 key passes, 7 tackles, 3 interceptions, and 3⁄4 dribbles completed. Whoscored gave him a rating of 8.5/10, the second highest on the team, even higher than Thomas Muller who managed two assists.

This kid really is something special.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...hrashing-tactical-reasons-confirms-Favre.html
    Sancho hooked after 36 minutes...
    What happened? Alphonso Davies happened

sXeWesley, tomásbernal and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has all the tools and continues to improve. I think he has quite a bit more upside. Players who have to go up against him on his side are not going to have much fun both trying to beat him and then trying to catch him when he goes forward.

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #2323 Mahtzo1, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Here's the thing.

I really don't understand all the fuss.

An English player with experience in the EPL (with Chelsea...only a cup of cofee and some other team on loan 46ish games? B1 and Championship) said that some of the top teams could compete in the bottom half of the EPL.

I said that I thought that was interesting.

Let me explain why I think that was interesting.

As @feyenoordsoccerfan said, players, people etc often have an agenda. I don't know what his agenda is, if he is exaggerating, is flat out wrong or whatever but I do understand a bit about people. If a person is making a statement (true or false) that they want people to believe, they usually understand that it has a better chance of being believed if it is not a bonkers crazy statement. If this player (Mancienne) felt that his statement would sound like it was batshit crazy, I think he would be far less likely to say it.

Why is this "significant"? I think it is significant that a player would even think about making that statement. (in other words, he said something which is completely contrary to what I would have expected from someone with that experience.

I would NEVER take one random person, who I had never even heard of, as gospel and say that the top MLS are as good as the bottom half teams. (if that is what you think I said, than one of two things happened: 1. I did a very poor job expressing myself or 2. my words were not read carefully enough.

By the way, I did say that I don't really think being able to "compete" in the EPL is the same as we would expect over here in rhe US. The bottom half teams in the EPL are earning approx 1/3 of the possible points which puts them about even with the accomplishments in MLS of the very worst teams. That is not, however, the same as saying MLS teams would do that in the EPL.

Pegasus repped this.
  24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I wasn't speaking about Ziegler's quote(s). I was speaking about Mancienne.
    The last time he played in B1 was 2014
    last time he played in PL was 2011
    Last time he played in Championship was 2018
    (wikipedia)
    All that being said, I really don't think it is all that significant. I don't believe that the premier league or B1 have changed drastically enough to make that much of a difference.

Was he a top level player? No. Does he have first hand experience? Yes. Is his word the last word and testament? No but it is interesting for what he said. I would guess that if you asked 5 different English players from MLS you would get 5 different answers. Onuoha said "they would do well" but did not specifically say the would be at EPL level and also implied they would have trouble due to the tendency to de-emphasize defense in MLS. (Take that for what it is worth, my take on that is that it is too vague and has very little meaning or significance...other than the note on differing styles.)

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    how does a team with $15m in payroll compete vs teams with over 3x that? How would a team with $5m compete vs MLS teams?