MLS Cup Final: ATL v POR

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Post game thoughts as shared on the main PBP thread. (Blessedly I'm typing this, because my voice is shot.)

- First off, thank you Uncle Arthur. We could not have asked for a better owner to empower us fans with the ability to build our part of this experience. Thank you so much.

- Dear MLS, so long as you're having the final in one team's stadium then make the 5% share standard for visiting fans. Having the Timbers faithful in the house helped drive the atmosphere because every time they started "P-T! F-C!" it encouraged the Stripes faithful to respond in kind. And since the two fan bases by all accounts had civil interaction throughout, know that that was exactly the scene you want for this event.

- Re: Portland - I was surprised by how high up the pitch they were attacking. I thought their line in the sand would be the halfway line but they routinely attacked Atlanta's defenders when the Stripes had the ball in their own third. This did yield a few short-field turnovers but i don't recall Portland utilizing that with more then 4-5 players, so it rarely bore fruit. I also think Diego Chara was lost. Not sure how much of that was his own head, Atlanta's D, or just an off night, but he seemed neutered as an attacking threat. Lastly I thought while Portland's defense was solid overall they gave up the wings too easily, which allowed Garza, Escobar and company room to control the match and provide the crosses that at least kept the pressure on Portland.

- As for Atlanta I think they certainly have played better games but you could see their intention with the long passes (both across the field and, less successfully, through the middle) and their intent to pressure the Timbers in the center of the pitch. IIRC Portland struggled to connect more than 4 passes in the offensive half for much of the first 45'. Atlanta struggled to sustain their own offensive possessions but were able to spend much of the match on the front foot, aided by getting the first goal. So once they endured Portland's surge to start the 2nd half Nagbe and Gressel pushed up into more advanced positions and eventually drove Atlanta toward goal # 2. It was a more scrappy version of their home leg versus NYCFC, albeit with a more dynamic defense needed since Portland's attack is midfield oriented, but it got the desired result.

- MOTM for me was Brad Guzan. He made the save when needed, was very vocal in keeping the defense tight and made sure to pull LGP and Parkhurst back when they drifted too deeply forward.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kudos to everyone who showed up, for both teams. We endured some miserable weather (should've opened the gates earlier last night) to celebrate the occasion. If anything that justified our celebration all the more, I say, to have that level of commitment.

Having been around since #MLStoATL was conceived this was truly special. Thanks to Uncle Arthur, to the supporters' groups, the team and the staff, and to all the fans. I only wish it was at least dry last night so we could've extended the revelry at Centennial Park or something.

From a "bad sports town" to the new capitol for US pro soccer! Yeah, I'll take that.

Mabee repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Went looking for a copy of the Sunday paper this morning as a keep sake. Too late, apparently every printing of the AJC has been sold out both ITP and OTP. Makes me regret canceling my weekend subscription. C'est la vive. :'^(

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am so happy, but I am especially happy for Michael Parkhurst. His fifth Cup appearance and he finally gets to drink from the Holy Grail.

Three and Three and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Subscribers like my father get the early edition, which lacked complete coverage because they went to print before the result. They'll have stuff Monday, I'm sure.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The house that Arthur built ...

[​IMG]

GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s awesome. Any pictures from when everyone had their cameras out? That was so beautiful to see... especially for a soccer game.

Also, I loved the MLS 3.0 tifo. I wish there was more talk about that. I think we can finally say we have revolutionized the league.

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on wining MLS Cup Atlanta fans. Great crowd and atmosphere at the final.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta United's technical director Carlos Bocanegra on MLS Cup victory

GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You can. But if I could wave a wand, you'd be playing on grass.

11. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing

Attached Files:

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  12. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I could wave a wand we'd never see a field as bad as TFC's end of season grass. I'll take consistency on modern turf vs that junk all day every day.

Auriaprottu and Three and Three repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Looks like you were right next to the despondent Portland section ...

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I just got back from the parade. It was so much fun, almost better than attending a match. It seemed all of Atlanta was there. God I love this team and what it has done to this city. Thank you Uncle Arthur, I have waited for over 30 years for this.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I'm an old enough to have played on the original Astroturf, I've played on over used pitches, dirt and red Georgia clay, this new turf is beautiful and you kids are lucky to have it. Having said that I want to say this "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also right next to them. They were only despondent in the dying moments of the game. The rest of the match, they were loud and coordinated. I was going to go over to their BS site and compliment them, but their page looks barren.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I had hoped to make new friends, but no one has posted over there in months. I'd try their FB page. The Atlanta United Fans FB page is hopping.

IvanIV repped this.
  18. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their fans were nothing but class. I've nothing but good things to say about them. They stood and were reasonably loud the entire match and they were great before and after the game. Hope they had a great time in Atlanta except for the obvious disappointment of their defeat.

Guardien, IvanIV and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  19. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you use Reddit? This place is dead, which is why I never post here anymore as our Reddit page and r/mls are pretty jumpin these days.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am an old man, I can't be chasing you kids all over the internet. What is Reddit and how do I join?

Bubba Atlanta and IvanIV repped this.
  21. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AtlantaUnited/ follow this link and enjoy all the wonderful content

22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this 4chan and what does he want?

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    GunnerJacket, yossarian and IvanIV repped this.
  24. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States