MLS competition gains a new frontier: Ever-expanding front office structures

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by tallguy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi repped this.
  2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has everyone paid for The Athletic? I see people posting their stories fairly frequently, but every one I click on is behind a paywall.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There are always deep discount codes. It's worth it.

usadcu, UnitedBorn and Dizi repped this.
  4. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jus search the web for the discount codes? For me at full price, it ain't worth it.

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe (from what people have said, anyway) that the content is that good. And I'm not at all opposed to paying for access to stuff -- they gotta pay the bills somehow, after all. I haven't signed on to the Athletic because it seems like there's already 18 billion websites I'm individually paying for access to that I'm probably not reading/using as much as I wish or could.

dadman, shawn12011, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    cc: Flo Sports, DC United, ESPN+

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Seriously.

Off the top of my head, my family pays for:

Spotify, ESPN, Hulu, Netflix, Sirius, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple. I'm sure I'm missing a few at least.

People can talk all they want about how great the Athletic is but I want to slice off services, not add them.

PSURoss, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    So, my sentiments exactly. Its my main point of frustration, that more and more things I/the family watch are going behind a paywall while the cable bill keeps climbing. I am over due to tune down the Fios plan. I was max platinum whatever before because it included access to all the streams from Disney, ESPN, BeIn, Fox Sports, etc, etc, etc.

Now with all those channels replacing the content I wanted with BS programming like Corn Hole championships, cliff diving and downhill combat skiing I think I need to reallocate my spend. I've been buying the EPL on NBC Sports the last 3 years, although it quietly jumped from $50 to $65 this year, The Athletic and Amazon Prime, although I only bought it for the Grand Tour and have been pleasantly pleased with my savings at Whole Foods that has more than made up the cost of Prime, thats well more than a wash in my favor. Disney+ coming with ESPN will be a big one in my house. At this point, I will will prolly tune Fios down to the lowest plan that comes with basic sports and the trash my wife watches on Bravo.

9. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YouTube TV gets most stations, BEing TV an exception. So many of DCUs games are blacked out, and the coverage so bad, I've given up on watching games not part of a national broadcast. I combine Amazon prime, with Acorn TV, Masterpiece theatre, and my total bill is $75/mont exclusive of internet service.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee streaming sounds like the best service ever!!! :rolleyes:

11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is, it just isn’t as “cheap” as it used to be.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And yet to see what I want I need Hank's, Ralph's, Jerry's, Stan's, Marty's and Sarah's streaming service. At $9.95 per service. Each with different technical specs.

That sounds like Nirvana.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    There is no way whatsoever that you're in IT.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, sorry to disappoint...………………..

15. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting

My main takeaway was a feeling of emptiness thinking about how little DC has changed in the time that so many clubs have completely reinvented themselves (or in the case of expansion teams, invented themselves from scratch)

All these other teams have found talent that is capable of fighting for championships. Meanwhile DC is sticking to their guys and unlikely to change because they don't have to.

We take the kind of gambles that FC Cincy tried and are reaping the poor results year after year

dadman and tallguy repped this.