MLS coaches (current and potential) and coaching thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

I can't believe this guy has a job coaching in MLS

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Veljko Paunović

12.0%
  2. Gregg Berhalter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ben Olsen

23.1%
  4. Mauro Biello

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jay Heaps

13.7%
  6. Patrick Vieira

2.6%
  7. Jesse Marsch

0.9%
  8. Jason Kreis

4.3%
  9. Jim Curtin

15.4%
  10. Greg Vanney

0.9%
  11. Óscar Pareja

1.7%
  12. Wilmer Cabrera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sigi Schmid

5.1%
  14. Adrian Heath

10.3%
  15. Caleb Porter

0.9%
  16. Mike Petke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Chris Leitch

2.6%
  18. Brian Schmetzer

0.9%
  19. Peter Vermes

1.7%
  20. Carl Robinson

4.3%
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Wouldn't want to panic and overreact. What's needed is continuity. Give the players time to gel.

cthomer5000 and JasonMa repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol

superdave, jaykoz3 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    https://sports.yahoo.com/mcintyres-23-thoughts-galaxy-closing-jason-kreis-sources-190904500.html

If the LAG do hire Kreis I'll be very disappointed. It's like they have no plan, no vision.

"So, who's some of the usual names we could consider?" "Porter?" "Nah, I didn't like his sideline antics when we played the Timbers." "How 'bout Kreis, he won at RSL?" "Yeah, but that was back in '09, and what has he done since?" "No matter, his heart bleeds MLS through and through, and that's what we want here." "What about going beyond the usual suspects? Look at what Atlanta United did." "Darn it, we can't waste any more time. We need to get somebody right now, and Kreis is interested, so there's our man."

4. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Kreis, ugh...

Another old war horse of the old Mls Carousel... at that rate keep Kinnear

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. I’m hearing from multiple sources that new LA Galaxy general manager Dennis Te Kloese has honed in on former Real Salt Lake, New York City FC and Orlando City manager Jason Kreis as the club’s next coach. I’ve previously reported in this space that the club interviewed ex-Timbers boss Caleb Porter, and reached out to Boca Juniors boss (and onetime Columbus Crew maestro) Guillermo Barros Schelotto. But Kreis seems to be the guy, even after Zlatan Ibrahimovic made it clear to team president Chris Klein that he would like Dom Kinnear to return. One source said that Kinnear would stay on as Kreis’s assistant if the hiring is finalized.

2. Te Kloese was formally announced as the Galaxy GM on Friday, but I’ve been told he’s been working for the club “for weeks already.”

3. I’ve said before that former U.S. interim head coach Dave Sarachan deserves some consideration for open MLS jobs based on the calm and classy way he handled himself and the national team during his year in charge of the program. It’s not an MLS job, but word is he’s being considered for USL side North Carolina FC’s vacant position. However, another source with knowledge of the search stressed that no decision is imminent, and that there are about 10 candidates still in the running. They could do a lot worse than Sarachan.

4. I believe that U.S. under-20 coach Tab Ramos interviewed with FC Dallas over the last two weeks. I also believe that he was offered the job. I don’t think the sides are close to a deal, however, with compensation the main sticking point.
    Kreis + Kinner would be a decent coaching staff... in 2010-13.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1631 xbhaskarx, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018

What is going on in Dallas...

Boehm: Tab Ramos out of FC Dallas' search for new head coach; Another source described Luchi Gonzalez as a frontrunner

Sources: Josh Wolff interviews with FC Dallas for head coach opening

MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad thing is that you could argue that Kreis is their best hire since Arena. Clearly a better choice than Onalfo and I'd take him over the Schmid hire though reasonable people can disagree on that one.

Media types love to hand out MLS managerial posts as rewards for being a nice guy. I didn't see anything from Sarachan's stint with the NT that indicated he would be successful in MLS in 2019 or beyond. It was once possible to have success with a simplistic tactical plan and a lot of motivation & man-management, but those days are coming to a close.

xbhaskarx and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis Kinnear update:

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Kries could take over after Kinnear is fired for getting of to a horrible start.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1635 xbhaskarx, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreis couldn't handle Pirlo, so how the hell is he going to handle someone who has bought a church as a retirement home.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Naranja and JasonMa repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this talk of new coaches being hired, as bad as some of these guys might seem, at least they've coached a team at a higher level than the Orange Slice League. The last time the Revs hired a head coach who actually coached a pro team was Steve Nicol. Before him, the only one was Thomas Rongen, who they poached from league-owned Tampa Bay, who didn't think the reigning MLS Coach of the Year was worth more than $75,000. That was probably the last time Kraft Soccer ever outbid anyone.

JasonMa and Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, and I thought the Rapids were bad.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between NE, Colorado and Chicago, we can have our own race to the bottom. At least someone will win something.

As far as Revs head coaches go, it is pretty astonishing when you think about it. Their first coach was Frank Stapleton, who was a pretty good player--leading scorer for Ireland in his day, played mostly with Arsenal, also with Man U. He had never coached a pro team before, and was heading to Boston on a flight from Ireland. He was on the same plane as then-GM Brian O'Donovan, who was more of a business manager than what we tend to think of as a GM. He was not a "soccer guy," despite having an accent.

He didn't work out, so the next year they poached Thomas Rongen from Tampa. It seemed like a great move at the time, and the Revs were better. But he wanted to leave the team mid-season 1998 to be an "assistant" to Steve Sampson at the World Cup. The Krafts, showing their unyielding commitment to excellence with their sawker team, said, sure, have a nice time. The team tanked and he was replaced by Walter Zenga as player-coach. He knew the game inside and out, but never coached before.

When he was fired after not making the 1999 playoffs, they hired Fernando Clavijo, who was a Metros assistant coach. At least he was a coach with a pro team, although not the head man. After a crappy 2001 playoff-less season, they brought in Steve Nicol as his assistant, when the A-League Boston Bulldogs folded. Even Stevie Wonder could see that he was the next coach waiting in the wings, should Clavijo get off to a bad start. And by May, that was exactly what happened.

Nicol's successor was Jay Heaps, whose post-playing day job was some kind of financial guy at Fidelity, and moonlighted in the broadcast booth. He went to Dook, and coach K gave him a reference, so that was all the qualifications the Krafts needed. Heaps' successor was Brad Friedel, who had coached various yute teams, but never on the pro level.

So there you have it. No relevant prior experience needed to coach the Revs! At least your guy was in charge of an international side who once finished ahead of Italy and won crucial World Cup qualifyers against powerhouses like Guam, Vanuatu, and the Fiji!

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coached is a bit of an overstatement for Nicol.

He was promoted at a Notts County team that was already doomed to relegation because the owner, who had already started asset stripping, didn't want to pay an extra salary. His record was won 4, drawn 7, lost 9.

xbhaskarx and JasonMa repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Nicol also coached the Boston Bulldogs, who were at the second tier. I forget what alphabet soup league they were in, but in terms of the actual level of play, it was one step below MLS. I'd have no problem if they hired a guy who coached at a lower level. I mean that guys Savarese (whom the Krafts interviewed) did a pretty decent job with Portland in his first year.

But then again, can you really call the Cosmos a "lower-level" team?

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get well soon Sigi

USSoccerNova and ManiacalClown repped this.
  20. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Gleefully.

deejay, BalanceUT, El Naranja and 2 others repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but Pele used to play for them! He's the Ferenc Puskas of South America!

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did he outbid anyone? Tampa was league owned, after all.

Kraft Soccer might have been in charge in San Jose when they hired Frank Yallop. I believe they inherited Lothar Osiander. San Jose was Yallop's only prior head coaching experience was with the MLS Nike Pro-40 team. Which is hard to count.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, maybe "outbid" isn't the right word, but Rongen was making $75k, built a very good team from scratch and won the Coach of the Year honors. He thought he deserved a raise, and if they had a real owner, he probably would have given him one, but you know, budgets and all that. Meanwhile, the Revs offered him $150,000 to move, so....