MLS coaches (current and potential) and coaching thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

I can't believe this guy has a job coaching in MLS

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Veljko Paunović

12.0%
  2. Gregg Berhalter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ben Olsen

23.1%
  4. Mauro Biello

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jay Heaps

13.7%
  6. Patrick Vieira

2.6%
  7. Jesse Marsch

0.9%
  8. Jason Kreis

4.3%
  9. Jim Curtin

15.4%
  10. Greg Vanney

0.9%
  11. Óscar Pareja

1.7%
  12. Wilmer Cabrera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sigi Schmid

5.1%
  14. Adrian Heath

10.3%
  15. Caleb Porter

0.9%
  16. Mike Petke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Chris Leitch

2.6%
  18. Brian Schmetzer

0.9%
  19. Peter Vermes

1.7%
  20. Carl Robinson

4.3%
  1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a point, of course. But I can counter by saying, my opinion is not based just his performance with the Galaxy. I think that Sigi is always exactly as good as his players. He has a history of picking good ones (which makes him better than most) but his tactical approach has become, get a couple of good attackers and kick the ball up to them. When he's got Dempsey and Martins, he looks pretty good. When he doesn't...

It's hard to imagine him running an offense like Tata's or Vieria's. Or even Greg Vanney who looks like a more sophisticated version of the Sigi type. Even now he legitimately wants a center forward, but I don't see him doing anything to maximize what he does have.

If Sigi proves me wrong, wonderful. I he's one of the good guys.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 xbhaskarx, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Romain Alessandrini has 9 goals 10 assists so far in his first season... GDS had 14 goals 12 assists last season... they brought in JDS who starts for Mexico and came from freaking Villareal... also those three are ages 28, 28. and 27... how are those "millstones of DPs"??

I would think not, but then again Kinnear did better last season with guys like Innocent Emeghara and Simon Dawkins as DPs than Sigi is currently doing with Alessandrini and the Dos Santos brothers... anyone is making excuses for Sigi having that trio of DPs should check out Innocent Emeghara's stats.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOAzer repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Insiders" say all he was on was the "long list" when they were putting together who was available. I doubt we hire him.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the rest of that list turns out to be me and @Len, you're in deep trouble.

TOAzer, Len and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    If I'm hired, I'm going with a more defensive style of play........a mind-numbingly boring tedious style of defensive "Just get it out!" approach to the game. We'll pack the box and fight for scoreless draws on the road, and at home we'll pack the box and fight for that one chance to earn a 1-0 result. It will be glorious!

How about you, @Bluecat82 ?

TOAzer, Todorojo and Bluecat82 repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channeling my inner Coach Yoast:

"We ATTACK! ALL NIGHT! You make sure...they remember...forever! The night they played the Rapids!"

We'll lose every game 6-2 and every keeper on the roster will need therapy.

TOAzer, PTFC in KCMO, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially some big news in Montreal:

With NASL about to go under, will we see Nesta in Montreal and Savarese in New England? What about others like Dos Santos?

11. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biello was sixth on my hot seat list, possible but somewhat unexpected. (Schmidt, Olsen, Curtin, Kreis, Heath, Biello, Pareja [!?])

12. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Well, it couldn't possibly have helped that Toronto is atop the East; Vancouver is atop the West; and Montreal is............what a minute........oh, here they are......7th in their conference.

The Franchise repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 xbhaskarx, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    The LA Galaxy blow a 1-0 lead at home, despite RSL playing with 10 men from the 14th minute... they gave up a 95th minute equalizer to old man Kyle Beckerman of all people.

2017 LA Galaxy
    Curt Onalfo: 1.1 PPG
    Sigi Schmid: 0.58 PPG

Under Sigi:
    12 games, 1W 4D 7L... 10 GF 25 GA, -15 GD
    And the lone Galaxy win was 3-0 over lowly Colorado...

Despite Sigi managing only half the PPG of Schmetzer in Seattle last season and now about half of Onalfo's PPG in LA, he only has one vote in the poll, the same number as Pareja and Vieira. Meanwhile Robinson (currently in first place) has 2 votes, and Paunovic has 4 votes...

The Galaxy are now dead last in all of MLS, which is the lowest (22nd place) any team has been this late in the season in league history :ROFLMAO:

[​IMG]

Todorojo repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #65 xbhaskarx, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Petke, RSL energized after comeback: "This is why I'm in this sport"

Kyle Beckerman:

Staff a couple years ago they did some bad things to this team. We’re trying to build it back, and Mike [Petke]’s got us in the right direction.”​

Ouch, Beckerman and Jeff Cassar never seemed to see eye to eye, but I thought it was mostly a 4-4-2 diamond vs 4-3-3 thing, this makes it sound bigger than that. Cassar may have difficulty getting another high level coaching job after how things went at RSL, but Richie Williams was assistant with that team and is now with the USMNT (and may have it out for a certain young American at Schalke) despite doing terribly with the U-17s over two cycles (failing to qualify in 2013, finishing last in the group in 2015)...

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is MLS after all. Fire were back to back wooden spoon winners and we were in the running for the SS at the All-Star break. Anything could happen or they won't get better until 2019 season, but somehow with LAFC joining next season I think Galaxy will get their shit together.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports: Montreal Impact set for coaching change ahead of 2018 season

Both journalists also state that former Impact defender and Italian legend Alessandro Nesta, who currently coaches top NASL side Miami FC, is a “person of interest” who could replace Biello. But Moffat notes that Nesta cannot yet be formally approached about such a move, likely due to his current duties in Miami.

Biello’s all-time record in charge of the Impact is currently 37W-33L-22D, though Montreal are 1W-7L-0D since late August, a skid that has nearly eliminated them from postseason contention despite the opening created by a similar slump on the part of the sixth-place New York Red Bulls.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kurt Larson: Top 5 MLS general managers and technical directors of 2017

5. Craig Waibel (GM, Real Salt Lake)

4. Nelson Rodriguez (GM, Chicago Fire)

3. Tim Bezbatchenko (GM, Toronto FC)

2. Peter Vermes (Manager & Technical Director, Sporting KC)

1. Carlos Bocanegra (Technical Director, Atlanta United)

Hmm, what about NYCFC, Columbus, Vancouver, Houston...

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freedman: How the decision to replace a head coach can make or break a club

A 2014 study by Mexican publication El Economista found MLS beat out nine other top leagues around the world for manager longevity, including the Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and Liga MX. (And let’s take a quick second to spare a thought for head coaches in Brazil’s top flight, who last an inconceivable 0.4 seasons on average!)

Even in this bloodbath of a season for head coaches, MLS currently has 11 gaffers who have been at the helm for longer than that 2.6-season average.

For as nurturing a league as MLS can be, patience isn’t indefinite.

The first-timers’ club lost a few from their ranks this year as Jeff Cassar (Dec. 2013 to March 2017), Pablo Mastroeni (March 2014 to Aug. 2017) and Jay Heaps (Nov. 2011 to Sept. 2017) all were all let go in midseason. Each was given at least three years to work and they experienced some limited success during their respective tenures, but none were able to consummate them with a title.

And as we head toward the offseason, you can bet the seats are getting warmer for guys like Montreal's Mauro Biello (head coach since Aug. 2015) and Philadelphia's Jim Curtin (head coach since June 2014).

But as a new trend emerges in MLS – that of foreign coaches coming into the league and actually succeeding for the first time – so is the likelihood that a former player can step in and do just as well. All he needs is space and time.

That is, if you can manage to keep the faith for about 2.6 years or so.

20. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC has no single person running personnel decisions. Houston didn't have a lot of changes this year. Don't know about the others, but I'm fine with another exec taking Waibel's spot on the list, as the team's big improvement came only after he did what was obvious to outsiders well before: get a starting CB and replace Cassar.

21. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree that he likely doesn't belong at #5 when he kept Cassar (Though Cassar did get the team to the playoffs, which was the goal given to him, so is it so bad that he kept to his word?) but the signings this season have all been pretty good. Rusnak, Savarino were really big. He was able to bring in Lennon on loan, FINALLY add a CB in Silva who looks good. His signings FROM THIS SEASON have all been solid or better. Now that Movsysian one from last year...

The Franchise repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, I guess Mike Burns must be on the "honorable mention" list. After all, he is 4-5 steps ahead of everyone else, plays 3-D chess when everyone else is playing checkers and knows how to tie a shoelace...

23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    ypud be hard pressed to find many willing to speak up on Jordans behalf to put it kindly.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution reportedly interview former Argentina National Team coach
    Daniel Passarella has interviewed for the Revs head coaching job, per his agent.

Wikipedia:

Coaching career

Appointed as coach of the Argentine national team to replace Alfio Basile, Passarella was coach during the qualification games for the 1998 World Cup and during the competition itself, which was held in France. Passarella held to close friend Américo Gallego as assistant coach. Passarella had banned long hair, earrings and homosexuals in his squad, leading to disputes with several players.[12][13] Fernando Redondo and Claudio Caniggia eventually refused to play for Passarella and were excluded from the squad.[14] Argentina's performances never reached the expected heights, and the team was eliminated in the quarter-finals after a last minute 2–1 defeat to the Netherlands. After the elimination, Passarella left the post and was replaced by Marcelo Bielsa.
    o_O

Also, looks like he hasn't coached in a decade:

1989–1994 River Plate
    1994–1998 Argentina
    1999–2001 Uruguay
    2001 Parma
    2002–2004 Monterrey
    2005 Corinthians
    2006–2007 River Plate

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world_cup_98/teams/argentina/players/85306.stm

As a coach he is a strict disciplinarian. At the start of 1998 he told the Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Redondo that he would not pick him unless he got his hair cut. Redondo complied, but Passarella is still not satisfied and his place in the national team is still in doubt.

Along with long hair, Passarella has also banned homosexuals and says earrings are forbidden. At the World Cup players' wives and girlfriends are banned from the training camp - although they have been allowed to fly to France.​

ElNaranja, RafaLarios and derek750 repped this.