MLS coaches (current and potential) and coaching thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

I can't believe this guy has a job coaching in MLS

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Veljko Paunović

12.0%
  2. Gregg Berhalter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ben Olsen

23.1%
  4. Mauro Biello

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jay Heaps

13.7%
  6. Patrick Vieira

2.6%
  7. Jesse Marsch

0.9%
  8. Jason Kreis

4.3%
  9. Jim Curtin

15.4%
  10. Greg Vanney

0.9%
  11. Óscar Pareja

1.7%
  12. Wilmer Cabrera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sigi Schmid

5.1%
  14. Adrian Heath

10.3%
  15. Caleb Porter

0.9%
  16. Mike Petke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Chris Leitch

2.6%
  18. Brian Schmetzer

0.9%
  19. Peter Vermes

1.7%
  20. Carl Robinson

4.3%
  1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wasn't arguing for either/or. I understand that what Arena says sounds like either/or, but I think soccer analytics, specifically performance analytics is currently flawed. It's getting better and MLS teams probably have figured out ways to mitigate flaws to get something out of it.

(I also said I thought Arena's general view/rationale on analytics was stupid).

A lot of people are talking about xG. I think the improvements to the model and the use of more data points/situations makes it better. At the same time, the model doesn't differentiate that some players are better/worse in certain aspects of the game.

I understand that it is difficult to have enough data for every situation and that is what makes some of the analytics difficult. Clint Dempsey is great at getting to headers on crossed balls. When one heads the ball and takes a shot 6-10 yards from goal, the xG is relatively high. There are a lot of balls that the average player doesn't get to or even take a shot that Dempsey gets to. Getting a goal for those shots doesn't help a lot for the goal - xG, but a miss makes a players xG look worse.

If you have the same person making determinations for other more subjective stats, then you are better off than multiple people making those determinations. That is the problem.

Then there is the general problem with people need to understand exactly what they are interpreting. WAR in baseball is IMO pretty meaningless unless you compare the WAR of the player to the WAR of his actual backup and not the mythical replacement player when you are using it to look for value. If you are using the metric to win some argument, then WAR is good for you.

I said that fitness analytics work well.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brad Friedel era is off to a great start, with Nguyen wanting out, Rowe and Nemeth on the bench, both their expensive CBs getting red cards in their opening game loss, and now Nemeth (who they acquired not long ago for $400k in allocation) on the trade market:

Sources: New England Revolution offered Krisztian Nemeth to multiple teams

New England used TAM to sign the 29-year-old, who had one goal and one assist in six MLS appearances last season. He was initially expected to play a significant role for the Revs this season, but sources believed that first-year head coach Brad Friedel doesn’t rate the Hungarian, who was on the bench but didn’t play in the club’s season-opening loss at Philadelphia last Saturday.

They’ve offered him to several teams, but the sources said New England could have a hard time unloading Nemeth unless the Revs are willing to eat a portion of his $1 million 2018 salary.​

:laugh:

The Franchise, onefineesq and RafaLarios repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone ready for the classic Revs-Rapids matchup on Saturday?

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids may not be all that great, but a few of their attacking players may still be worth picking up in fantasy, considering both the Revs starting CBs got red cards in the first game.
    It's the lowest of bars but at least Hudson looks more competent than Friedel so far, and the Rapids may even have more talent when the Revs have no CBs and Nguyen/Rowe/Nemeth are not starting.

The Franchise and JasonMa repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota United only has like half a dozen quality players on their MLS roster, but on a positive note they have more "eMLS" players than any other team!

http://emlscup.us/signed-players/

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just want to know how anyone can claim to be an eSports professional player and not have a Twitch channel. Hell, I'm on Twitch.

BalanceUT, AeroNaught, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite easily, actually. The tactics used in eSports and Twitch are very different and what makes someone a good Twitch streamer does not always translate into them being a good eSports player and vice versa.

On Twitch, the primary goal is to entertain, so players will take risks that are more exciting to watch, but would be stupid in a tournament as they are just as likely to result in your elimination from the tournament.

In eSports, the primary goal is to win, so players are a lot more conservative and try to avoid making mistakes as much as possible. Being conservative and avoiding mistakes is boring for Twitch viewers.

All in all, if you're an eSports player and you aren't making money on Twitch, there isn't much reason to be on there..

There's also the fact that FIFA just isn't that popular on Twitch. FIFA usually averages around 5k-10k total viewers, while the top games get anywhere from 3-30 times that..

jaykoz3 and The Franchise repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But a huge number of pros use Twitch to drive additional revenue and create more opportunities of engagement to keep their sponsors happy.

I'm not saying they should be "casters", but just having a presence where fans of the game can watch the pros practice or scrim becomes an exercise in brand-building and social marketing.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel confident Revs' depth will step up vs. COL

“It’s the same exact approach and slotting in different guys,” Friedel told MLSsoccer.com. “We have a very good squad here, and we’re well equipped if we have injuries or suspensions.”

Namely, Friedel pointed to MLS veteran Jalil Anibaba as a depth option, as well as rookies Nico Samayoa, a fourth-round MLS SuperDraft pick, and Brandon Bye, a first-round selection who largely played at right back all preseason.

Matt Turner, an undrafted and third-year player, got the starting nod vs. the Union over 11-year veteran Brad Knighton and recent US national team January camp participant Cody Cropper, who missed out via illness. Friedel assured, however, that the starting job is Turner’s to lose behind a group that allowed an Eastern Conference-worst 61 goals in 2017.

lol

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC fans are rightly quite upset at how the EPB saga went down, but also can see the organization's side of it. He was stuck in a tough place where we feature two of the best center backs in the league (Besler and Opara) and one of the best d-mids in the league (Ilie, with Uri Rosell there before him.) So who do you sit or sell in order for EPB to play? Lots of second-guessing in that situation but it was a tough one for all parties involved.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The answer was squad rotation.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would have been a good thing for SKC, yes. But to answer the critics like Ramos? And to give EPB the amount of playing time that he probably wanted and that others expected?

He probably was good enough to be a starter every game, but he wasn't going to get that at SKC behind Besler and Opara. He needed to go to another club, from a USMNT fan's perspective. From an SKC perspective, the only bad thing in the end was that we didn't get anything for him.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but there's a huge gap between starting every game and starting one or two games/season. Part of it is that we had virtually no squad rotation. And we used no subs.

Even if he doesn't start, playing 30 minutes two out of every three games spelling Besler or Opara would have made a huge difference to him and possibly had Besler and Opara in better shape at the end of the season.

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't EPB like 16 in 2015??? I'm all for playing youth, but Vermes was right not to throw him into the fire against grown men at that age. Yes you want a player of his talents to get experience, yet at the same time not absolutely crush his confidence.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB playing ~400 minutes didn't "crush his confidence" why would playing 800-1000 minutes have done so? I watched every game he played in 2015, he made a few mistakes but for the most part he looked fine. I'd say playing more would only have helped him. Whereas you could give Kevin Ellis a million minutes and he'd still only be Kevin Ellis.

Why would squad rotation and using subs, so your top players are in better shape at the end of the season be important?
    [​IMG]
    Oh.

superdave, PTFC in KCMO, ElJefe and 2 others repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Petke: RSL's performance a "shock to all of us"
    “It was just one of those days, and I feel terrible about [saying] something like that because it seems dismissive,” Petke said. “It’s one of those days where I’m not ready to analyze this game. It’s that much of a shock to all of us.”

What They're Saying: Mike Petke
    "I’m not going to answer very many questions. I’m going to answer the same thing. All right? The thing that I’m going to be saying is, I apologize to my owner. A lot of places in the world, I’d either be fired right now or I would resign."

-- Real Salt Lake coach Mike Petke after his team dropped a 5-1 decision to Los Angeles FC, losing its home opener for the first time in club history and suffering the most lopsided home defeat in club history.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did I watch that....

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...st-sportings-defense-lafcs-attack-more-week-2

Jackson scored a goal in his debut but Colorado lost 2-1 to the Revs after a deflected Chris Tierney free kick buzzed by a strangely rooted Tim Howard in second-half stoppage. The Rapids played 98 long-balls, which is about 20% higher than any other team in the league. They clearly need a dose of on-the-ball creativity in midfield.

As for the hosts, New England attempted 19 open play crosses – a huge number. They connected on two of them, which is not a huge number.

These two teams, for the time being, lack ideas.​

JasonMa repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

An assessment that has been true for years and years and years.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Howard being "rooted" stopped being "strange" quite some time ago.

xbhaskarx, sitruc, AndyMead and 2 others repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also wasn't to blame on that goal (either of them for that matter). Not sure what GK is going to make a save on a ball that going through the wall and wide until A. One member of the wall doesn't jump causing the ball to B. deflect off the wall and into the goal.

xbhaskarx, sitruc and Sachsen repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United: Ben Olsen’s tactics will land him in trouble
    Ben Olsen’s tactics are undermining DC United’s season. If he does not change his ways, then they could well proceed to undermine his career in the capital.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2018/03/14/dc-united-ben-olsen-tactics-land-trouble/

Ben Olsen’s starting tactics and in-game management again lack imagination or purpose. Players like Nick DeLeon are seemingly getting worse as they stay in Olsen’s system. Washington D.C. is not a naive soccer market. Olsen’s teams play some of the least appealing brands of bend-then-boot soccer. It would be a decent bet that he never coaches a game in the new Audi Park.
    Olsen claims he is seeing “amazing” and “wonderful” things despite the mediocre results. If the fans don’t see these positives, or at least an ugly result, Olsen will surely hear their displeasure. Will he hear the same from ownership? Will ownership want to pay two coaches and a DP before the new stadium opens? Olsen is only safe if they decide to wait until next year.

25. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Has The autor been blind the past few years that Olsen has been leading that boat? :confused: