MLS Club Colors/Badges and City Colors/Seals

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by TCNJFan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    After looking at the yellow/sky blue uniform and badge designs in the Philadelphia forum I started to wonder: Why don't MLS clubs take colors or objects from their cities' or states' seal or flag? Outside of FC Dallas and Toronto FC, it doesn't seem like there's a connection between a city or state's colors/seal and the club's.

I think it would be cool if Chicago or DC even did something simple and made their cities' flags into a captain's armband.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_dc

2. Azerban

Azerban New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Beamsville
    The Toronto flag is blue. :confused:

Unless you mean the red for Canada/Ontario but we're still trying to find out where the grey comes from. A shame really, because there are some fake, white TFC kits on ebay and they actually look really nice.

3. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    Yeah, since Toronto is Canada's only MLS team, I was thinking along the lines of the national flag.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  5. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    two or three seasons ago chicago wore a third jersey that was designed ala the city flag. im sure you can look it up. also, didnt dc have a white with red stripe uni? i seem to remember one quite recently.

6. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like this has been done in the NHL, where the main Columbus Blue Jackets logo (formerly on the third jersey) is essentially a stylized Ohio flag. It works rather nicely too.

As a former Philadelphian, I will admit that I am hoping for "Philadelphia Atoms"--but we shall see....

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Isn't there some relationship betwee the eQuakes badge some some San Jose seal or flag?

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The sun thing in the background:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    I never saw that logo for the city. It's a nice touch for the Earthquakes crest.

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Being that it's on all our garbage cans, it probably should have been used in the Clash crest.

12. paulaprisoner

paulaprisoner New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    London
    After completing my site behindthebadges.co.uk i was aproached to see if i would research the emblems you mention. It was a large task to find the meaning behind all our soccer club badges. do you think there would be enough interest to make it worth my while to do the same for your MLS clubs?

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Few of our badges have any "meaning" like the San Jose badge. Good luck.

14. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you realize shitcago's crest is based off their city history right?

they burned their own town to the ground and celebrate by naming their team after a horrible tragedy!

15. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I was a little dissapointed too when I didn't see Toronto in blue, like the Leafs, Jays and Argos, I always thought it was great that every team in T.O. wore crayon blue, white, silver and baby blue. But I see from an international branding perspective the decision to look like Team Canada, it just means the CSA values TFC as the premier national club. Plus, when the Caps join MLS it might make for confusion in the away stands if home and away was wearing blue ;).

16. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Insert favorite Rivalries smacktalk comment about the City of Columbus in general being a horrible tragedy here.)

And if you don't know the role the Fire had in Chicago's history, I suggest you read up on it. Or at the very least read "Devil in the White City."

17. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an American history major and I'm fully of aware of the role it played in the city history. I just find it very ironic that you'd name a club after a tragedy is all. No need to getcha panties in an uproar bud ;)

18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States