MLS Allstar Team

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Cannons, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Im glad Farrell got named though I wonder if it was a charity selection since no other Rev was named? Poor Lee.... where did it all go? It kills me that Nagbe is getting all the recognition because I think Lee is flat out better. Lee... if you're reading this it's time to come out of your coma and start doing something before it all evaporates for you. Start shooting more and hopefully scoring more too

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team has a representative except Houston.

Montreal leads the way with 3 players selected (Ciman, Piatti, Drogba).

3. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem is the Lee is a CAM and Nagbe is more of a CM, and the competion is prety stiff at CAM

I also think Farrell really hasn't been that great this year.

4. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At least for USMNT, I think the competition is super stiff for attacking midfield because Klinsmann does not play with an attacking midfielder unless it's Bradley. In terms of MLS, Nagbe gets more recognition than Nguyen because he plays for a trendy team and because his trendy team actually won a trophy.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You don't think part of it is that he's more of a two-way player?

6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nguyen's defense is pretty tenacious IMO. If his defense wasn't up to snuff then our press high/sit middle/low block system that got us to MLS Cup wouldn't have worked.

7. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #7 Cannons, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    I think Nagbe's a good player, not a great player. I agree that Lee does play good defense.

For some reason the media latches onto some flavor of the month and hypes them to no end. Nagbe is one of those. Zardes is another. I would never change Nagbe for Lee in a million years. That being said, something seems wrong with Lee. After his great year, teams were doubling on him to shut him down. Now they dont bother as much but he is still having trouble doing much. Is it the surrounding players? Has his age kicked in? Does he wish he was on a different team? IDK. All I know is it is getting harder to stand up for him on things like this Allstar selection or NAT callups based on his MLS performance this year. He works hard with few results. With a real finisher on the team now, Lee should be racking up assists like crazy but it hasnt happened yet.

I blame Rowe lol His lack of skills hurts everybody around him

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um ... in a heartbeat.

9. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I would trade Lee AND Kelyn for the CHANCE to sign Nagbe... But that's just me.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think they're both overrated.

Lee is good for the occasional highlight reel goal and a lot of quick moves that sometimes work and often don't. He's got the vision but lacks the supporting cast. Then, when he gets the supporting cast on the Nats, he seems to leave his vision at home and plays scared.

Nagbe had a good 2013 in terms of production but has sub-Rowe numbers in MLS g/a every other year. This perhaps reflects a deeper lying role than Lee. Of course, if we put that in context of his pivotal role in a team that just won MLS Cup, it's safe to assume he must do a lot that doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

Are they both good? Yes. Am I blown away by either in a Nats shirt? Not at all. We just don't have anyone better (experienced, Pulisic is still raw) as a country at this point.

BERich repped this.
  11. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt. I see nothing that special in Nagbe except he has the media hype and is Klinsmann's flavor of he month.

Lee is not having a great year and I can't figure that out. Surrounding cast? doesnt want to be here? lazy? age? I dont know. I know if I was him, I would never pass the ball to the turnover machine Rowe and there seems to be no lineup from Heaps that does not include Rowe. Even Diego seems to be off.

Something is wrong with this group, they should be doing better and only recently show signs of improvement

12. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see any of that Wednesday night. He was cruising around the field. If he gave his full effort he would be great to have on this team.

I don't understand how he is the team captain. Was that a bone they threw to him to try to get him to play with more effort?

At this point I would be interested to see if they could get a dominant center back for him in a trade.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I had the game on, wasn't paying full attention but Herivaux looked very comfortable and did well both going forward and with tackles.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on the ball, high level of comfort, able to go forward and make tackles? Able to step right in? Under Heaps this means he'll get spot minutes in October.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this friendly reminder...

673275841137278976 is not a valid tweet id

18. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that! All stick, no carrot.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They probably get an all-star game bonus, no?

20. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the union made sure that they'd get the bonus whether they played in the game or not – that's pretty standard across US sports. As such, it's not a 'carrot' to actually play.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From watching the highlights, it looks like
    A) Andrew Farrell played RB (2nd half sub)
    B) He got beat on the game-winning cross

22. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he got beat but he was pretty much doing his job defending one on one and got no support on the overlapping run and suddenly found himself dealing with a 2v1 in the box with no cover. He needed help. I don't fault him for Arsenal being able to cross it, I fault the other defenders who were ball watching and didn't see the runner.

23. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did not get beat. He was marking his man that got the ball. That was his job. He got no support from who ever the DM was at the time on the overlap. Nothing Farrell could do about that.

I was once again unimpressed with Nagbe jogging around acting cute. He is not a game changer but does have the fans thinking he's the next Pele. Im gonna duck on this one but I think Freddy Adu is far better than him, last time I saw him play. Not sure about anymore but my point is... he does some good things but is not as good as the hype would have you believe. I though Andrew played well overall