PBP: MLS 2019 Season Week 21 Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Jul 24, 2019.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch the game?

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I knew it was too good to have so many games on at once last night.

I kind of wish MLS had a set schedule for the most part.

On Saturday, All EST/CST games start at 7pm/6pm respectively (their time) and all PST/MST start at 6pm/7pm respectively (their time). Then we have the Sunday special games where the East Coast game kicks off at 6 pm (EST) and the West Coast game kicks off at 5 pm (PST)

*I think my timezones are right.

sitruc repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you’re missing the point here. You’re stating what you wish would have happened. And there are many of us who wish for the same thing. That’s not a problem.

What I’m taking issue with is that you’re stating your wish as though that’s the way things actually work. And you are just plain wrong.

4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're arguing with the person who spent days last year incorrectly arguing for an offside call, and showed he has literally no clue what the rule is, until I finally put him on ignore. It's clear nothing has changed, both with his knowledge of the sport and inability to let things go when he's obviously wrong.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Decent NWSL match on right now, or real racing (IndyCar).

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doesn't really work for early season, where it's going to be cold/dark for some of those start times, but shifting to that after Memorial Day would be wise.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch the game. Zlatan abused the ref on three different occasions and only received a single yellow card. I stand by my opinion, that he should have been red carded, considering he had (at min.) THREE card able offensives.

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My original question was, was Chapman afraid of Zlatan, because if that was any other player (99% of them), they would have received at least a yellow card in all three of those occasions (resulting in a red card).

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That's what you're wrong about.

Most players around the world would absolutely NOT get yellow cards for dissent after getting the first one. Because referees are loathed to give out red cards that change matches unless absolutely necessary. Yes, some would. Some have. Did Zlatan get some extra rope because he's Zlatan? Perhaps.

But your 99% assertion is off. By about 89%.

10. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I forgot, I've played/watch soccer for 45+ years I fvcking know the rules. So you think it's OK to abuse a ref like Zlatan did on three different occasions.

11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again it was way over to top. So I disagree with you. Ok say I am off by 89%, that mean you think 10% of the players would have been card and thrown out after their second yellow. Why don't the 10% get the same treatment as the other 90%.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I would say that astute people can tell the difference. I remember when DC was hotter than fire a couple of years back, and my fellow DC fans were counting on another return to glory. I looked at the team and it was clear to me that the team's results were far better than the talent and coaching acumen, and said so publicly. Got slated for it, and then DC promptly got dumped out early in the playoffs. There is a difference between a team that is hot and getting results, and a team that is actually coached well and playing together. San Jose and New England appear to be in that latter category. Not saying they are going to MLS Cup, but they are going to have to be beaten by a good effort. I don't see them going out without a struggle to the death, against whichever team they play in the playoffs (and I see no way they do not make the playoffs). I guess we will have to wait and see.

westcoast ape and sitruc repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I did. And I don't think he got away with this because he is Zlatan. Refs let this go pretty often, which was the point I was trying to make. Now you say 10% get carded, so that means the vast majority get away with it, not just Zlatan. We probably agree that it should result in more red cards.

14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say 10%, I said 99%

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I knew the schedule and I've still been checking guides all day and I'm just now really realizing that another meh week of MLS has come to an end.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. Players usually do NOT get the punishment they deserve for incessant dissent. It is one of my pet peeves.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving me a chance to Netflix and chill.

Which means Netflix.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Homegrowns beat Chivas U20s after penalties. Now only Rooney can gain points for MLS from the spot for the skills challenge.

19. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Orlando, just won the only thing theyre winning this season

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    THE FIX WAS IN!!!