MLS 2019 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Sure you get phone calls cause you have bought tickets before. That does nothing for attracting new fans.
    I don't have the answer but it takes more than billboards and phone calls to existing/previous customers.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t they sell out every match?

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    ??? The Galaxy?

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I thought that there were only standing or grass berm seats based on the configuration.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They only open those seats when they have a presale sellout. So almost never.

6. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    They sellout a lot and have no attendance concerns. With a quick look 4 of the last 5 have been over 25k (obviously going into last year). The one that wasn't was their most recent and it was over 21k.
    Pretty sure at least 2 of those 4 were over 27k.

mbar repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to worry about Galaxy attendance but as a 17 year season ticket holder I can tell you the team feels like it’s the best supported it’s been in its history. I really don’t have any concerns anymore.

AEG does not subscribe to the “sell out every match” theory. It would rather have higher prices and average 90-95% capacity. That’s been crystal clear for years.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Similar to US Soccer, except US soccer seems to be ok with 20% capacity as long as prices are over $100.

JasonMa and mbar repped this.
  9. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    They averaged 24,444 in 2018. Somewhere around 25k is a sellout. So they pretty much averaged a sellout.
    Yeah, I think we are good to not be concerned about their attendance. :)
    They are in the top 4 of league attendance.

10. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Galaxy, although a great winning franchise, has always been seen as a corporate suburban team here in LA. They're tucked away deep in the Stub Hub Center in Carson and there's always frowning faces at their Herbalife sponsor. No bars for pre or post game activities, etc. Everything LAFC has done so far has clicked in perfectly with the city- the stadium's location, the colors, sponsor, players, marketing, etc. The Galaxy still draws well though. I actually think LAFC coming online helps them passion and attendance wise imo

Also on another note, all the teams that really get the headlines, the love, clout, and publicity in the city center- Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Clippers, USC, Kings, LAFC, etc. The outskirts/fringe/OC is the Angels, Chargers, Galaxy, and Anaheim Ducks. In the next few years good luck to any team wanting headlines and fanfare if you're not playing in either DTLA or Inglewood. The Clippers are even in talks to build a new arena in Inglewood across the street from the new Rams stadium.

11. CakeYear

CakeYear Member

none
    Jun 22, 2007
    Inglewood, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

12. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Without a doubt. Prices have significantly increased post Beckham. The goal was to maximize revenue not sell out. However, I think they could have made more long term by keeping tickets harder to get and leaving a bit of money on the table when they were hot so the place didn't empty so much when they were charging premium prices for a bad team. Now you can get into see the Galaxy (cheap seats) for a lot less than LAFC. Part has to do with available inventory and part is do LAFC pricing to make sure the stadium is full.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a 10 minute walk from Pioneer Square.

14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #364 mbar, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Its an age old debate the sell out route vs. the AEG method. AEG is committed to the way they do it. We see the same approach with the LA Kings in the NHL during their successful period from 2010 to last season.

Interestingly, I can always sell my cheap seats (season ticket price $18.00) for over 20 100% of the time on stubhub unless it’s a midweek game. So Galaxy tix do hold their value. You mentioned LAFC but despite the perennial sell outs of the smaller stadium their ticket prices on stubhub are pretty similar to the Galaxy so far in their existence. It’s interesting. Soccer is pretty healthy in LA at the moment.i think expensive seat season ticket holders of both clubs lose money in the secondary market.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #365 crookeddy, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Lol out in Carson, 15 minutes from the Banc ;-)
    At the intersection point of 3 freeways, no less.

16. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm more of league fan than an individual team fan. So I watched plenty of games going back to Rose bowl and (and even a couple of Chivas USA games! - pretty sorry experience). I just checked and can easily get an $18 ticket to a galaxy game but can't really find anything for LAFC under $40. Kind of like the fact that Galaxy tried to max their revenue as I'm cheap and like the low prices. I also don't mind walking so the $25 they charge to park doesn't bother me either.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How slow of a walker are you if it takes you 10 minutes to walk 5 blocks? ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that is better on the LAFC side then when I checked regularly last. Your point taken.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $25 to park???

No wonder they don't sellout!

It's the same story at Yankee Stadium but most fans prefer to pay $2.75 for a Subway ride.

20. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Please see my post above. They do sell out...often.

21. lassoedd

lassoedd New Member

Arsenal
    Feb 24, 2019
    That is one thing that hurts us in New York. Like NYCFC came out with a bang with Villa, Lampard, and Pirlo and it was great... then people realized they were playing in a baseball stadium AND they never won anything.

The New York Red Bulls had a bang in 2010 with the new stadium, which is really good, and signing Thierry Henry. Rafa Marquez also came in but he didn't work out, we didn't market Henry as much as we should have, and despite the stadium, training facility, academy etc. we have never won MLS Cup.

The most supported and followed teams are usually the winners in New York. The Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers etc. have a cultural history with New York, have won championships etc. The Red Bulls and NYCFC? Meh, haven't done shit in comparison.

22. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Well kind of...not really...lied about him being signed by the team. I can't believe fans gave them a pass on what they did. Brings up lots of bad memories.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you know what I mean.

But he did sell a lot of advance STs.

24. lassoedd

lassoedd New Member

Arsenal
    Feb 24, 2019
    Houston:downtown

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think that one thing that also kills attendance is a feeling that the team has no interest in being competitive. I get that feeling from Colorado, Houston, san Jose, Chicago... even a downtown stadium can't help in that case.

JasonMa repped this.