MLS 2019 All-Star game, 7/31 at Orlando against Atletico Madrid

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, May 2, 2019.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'd be curious if they are meeting the terms of this game.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid’s starters would be up 3 or four by now.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not quite.

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This was honestly the worst ASG ever. Even the Man U beatdowns were better than this. The first half was a joke. The second half was better, but still... it was completely missing that "event" feel that the other games had. Maybe it's because Atletico didn't even bother bringing half their team.

6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They brought their whole team (24 players played), their second team played the first 56 minutes and their first team played final 34 minutes.

7. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in reading one of the posts earlier in this thread, I think those that are unfamiliar with MLS' ASG would not initially realize that there would be complete lineup changes for both teams.

I think in the more insecure days, fans looked at the MLS vs. World format as a way to benchmark MLS' progress. Hopefully most realize that there is hardly any time for MLS players to practice and some of the on-field display is going to reflect.

Now the ASG game is more about marketing. Atletico in this case gets to expose its brand more to the U.S. market and MLS probably had the game distributed to multiple countries.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcements that CD Guadalajara would play in the MLS All-Star Game and of Jorge Vergara's interest in an MLS expansion franchise actually happened on the same day, June 23, 2003.

mbar repped this.
  9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing these ASGs accomplish is making MLS look bad, regardless of whether the MLS team wins or loses.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least they didn't score seven. That would be really humiliating. :giggle:

PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree. If this event is viewed as a fun local event to attend, or watch on TV if you happen to be home, not to be taken seriously or seen as a measure of anything; then it can be enjoyed. I went both times it was in Colorado and it was fun night out. I got to see some good players, and Nick Ramando. :)

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Oh ok. I responded to the tweet listing missing players without reading the names of the players. You're right of course, but the game still sucked.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, these games have always been fun to me, but the one last night was one of the worst...

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, fair enough. Bummer. At least you got some goals.

15. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been times in the past when there have been a number of players selected from the same team, the MLS coach has chosen to start them at the same time for an attempt at cohesiveness.

At this time I don't think MLS makes it mandatory that each team have a representative. But, if it did, that becomes a greater logistical concern as more teams are added. So, maybe the league reverts back to an East / West format for this event.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    That would be the end of the event. There are some sports that are somewhat watchable when minimum effort is given. Soccer isn't one of them. And for all we know, the game could easily go from minimal effort to no effort at all, like the NBA all star games that led to the format change.

17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct.

Is MLB the only one that makes it mandatory? With the NHL's new format I think it works out that every team gets one, and that might be the same for the NFL, but I know the NBA doesn't, because they essentially can't unless the rosters are like 22 players or something...which Golden State Warrior do you pick?

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also a poor choice as El Cholo is not the type of coach to let the team play a free flowing match. He parks the double decker bus. Athletico is training really hard this summer to come in second place in La Liga.

James

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not sure what you're saying? Who got some goals? The issue was that the All Star starters didn't want to be there, and were playing against reserves. It made the match very boring.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They've won La Liga in modern times. Why can't they do it again?

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can. I was (poorly) comparing their tactics to a team that is trying not to lose. That's the knock on El Cholo is he would rather win 1-0 on counter attacks than utilizing Greizmann, etc. to their full offsenive capacity. Athletico doesn't can't win the league without Madrid or Barca giving it to them.

James

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Oh yeah, it was a terrible opponent for an All Star Game. Not very popular, and very good defensively.

23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bummer it wasn't a great game, but at least there were three good goals.

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again wrong....Quit saying that Atletico Madrid brought a bunch of nobodies. It was their first team.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The all star starters were playing against atletico reserves. The All Star Reserves played against the Atletico starters. The first half was awful.

Anything else you need spelled out?