PBP: MLS 2018 Week 33 Continuous PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama and Jamaica came into the semis largely bereft of hope in these games, but riding a feel-good story to what will (for one of them) be a trip to the WWC. But neither will be playing Wednesday with anything remotely resembling momentum after these results - unless Jamaica gets a late goal and can build on a blowout loss, but with a goal.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    28:15 Heath, beating the offside trap at the top of the box and behind everyone but the goalkeeper one times a cross by Horan from about 40 yards out. 4-0.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Jamaica knew what was coming. Panama pushed Canada to almost halftime. We'd blown Panama out by this point.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica needs to be subbing off Bunny Shaw and saving her at this stage. Momentum, schmomentum … they need to avoid injuries and give themselves the best chance on Wednesday.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    32:18 Morgan? In traffic. Yep. Rapinoe had a free kick from about ten yards in from the corner and a hit a low ball towards the penalty spot. Morgan got to it, stabbing through traffic. 5-0.

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    These games are so pointless for Panama and Jamaica. They do more harm by playing in them. They would have been better off forfeiting.

Ismitje repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eight years ago at Toyota Park in Bridgeview after the U.S. had gotten past Italy to get to Germany 2011 and awaiting the postgame interview, I chatted with Sunil.

We wound up playing Italy in a last ditch home/home series after losing to Mexico in Mexico. It was engaging and what WCQ should be.

I asked him if there was any hope of ever having a final stage with home and away games. He said, "No." There was no money in it. It would cost too much and come at the expense of something else.

sitruc repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nobody should ever forfeit a win and qualify for the World Cup game.

Ever.

The U.S. could get a red card in the fifth minute. Then suffer an injury. Shit happens.

EDIT: The problem is the format (see my previous post).

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I understand and I don't actually think a team should forfeit. The format would have been better if they didn't play a semi and had the first place teams from the group automatically qualify for the WC and final while the second place teams played in a playoff for a WC spot.

I know the WNT will complain if they had changed the format, but it would take something tragic for the WNT not to qualify, especially if the games are played in the US.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Christen Press and Morgan Brian on for Rapinoe and Ertz at the half.

Ertz looked like she picked up some sort of injury in her trunk late in the first half. Rapinoe isn't a spring chicken, and it's good to get Press a longer runout with this game no longer in doubt.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I really hope they don't repeat what they spent 20 minutes of the first half against Trinidad doing - trying to feed Becky Sauerbrunn for her first international goal.

Emily Sonnett on for Rose Lavelle.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    83:24 Alex Morgan, penalty. She earned the penalty, pushing the ball past the keeper deep into the corner of the 18. As she turned to back to look for the empty net, the defender caught her plant foot. Looked soft live, but the replay showed the foul, while a questionable defensive decision, was there. 6-0.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Women's World Cup Qualifying.

1991 5-0, 49gf-0ga
    1994 4-0, 36-1
    2002 5-0, 22-1
    2006 2-0, 4-1
    2010 6-1, 24-2 (2 goals allowed in 2-1 loss to Mexico)
    2014 5-0, 21-0
    2018 so far 4-0, 24-0

Total
    31 wins (1 aet)
    1 loss
    0 ties/pk shootouts
    180 goals for, 5 allowed

Gamecock14, Justin O and Ismitje repped this.
  14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any one else shocked that there wasn't any football lines in New England Revolution game last night, after all New England Patriots game tonight.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Panama put out close to a second team for their game while it wasn't until half that Jamaica subbed potentially their best player.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out the box score was actually correct. Smith was sent off for abusive/insulting gestures that sparked the mass confrontation. Seems like a massive stretch, particularly for a video review.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think the card was complete bullshit, but the ref just wanted to send him off because it was clearly his actions that set the whole thing in motion.

But surely there was a more generic way they could have phrased it like "incitement" or "unsporting conduct," etc.

18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to go with what's written in the Laws I suppose.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wrong thread? The game is in the first post.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Right thread, just nothing worth saying that we didn't already know. Sweat and Delgado are appalling, Trapp is exceptionally mediocre.