MLS 2018 Season (Other Teams) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Feb 28, 2018.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following his career much lately, but a few years ago I remember Tchani being a pretty solid player. Well, other than never having heard of Jermaine Jones.... But we need another DM like a hole in the head.

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Ellis is primarily a center back. Over his 7 yr mls career he has spent roughly half his time on loan at usl sides, with full season loans in 2014, 2016, and 2017.

Tchani, according to transfermarkt, has lined up primarily as an 8 over his 9 year mls career. He has 15 goals and 18 assists over 212 mls matches played across 5 clubs. His minutes have fluctuated with his location, varying between a bench and a regular stating role, but has been used primarily as a starter since 2014

6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, Tchani early in his career, (when he was with NYRB or Columbus) got into a minor dustup when he dissed Shalrie Joseph in the lead up to a match vs Revs.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought he had a great chance to be a long-time USNT starter, but he never got very good at controlling his emotions on the field.

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    What a play by rooney tonight.

Also, despite how much we complain on this board, i sure am glad im not an orlando fan. Their tinfoil hat routine is probably the most annoying in mls

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of DC, I noticed their brand new stadium wasn't sold out. 17k attended in a venue that holds 20k.

For those in the camp a SSS solves all ills (or a big name DP for that matter), there's proof it doesn't.

If the issues are deeper than a bad stadium situation as they are here and in DC, that's just lipstick on a pig.

It's always, always always the product on the field.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but I agree that a SSS (even in a good location) isn't a panacea.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've only sold out the stadium's opening game vs Vancouver as one would expect. 15k vs NYRB, 18.9 vs Colorado. Maybe it's the opponents? Lousy team? Or just not a big draw in DC? I agree it is probably more complicated than just checking the attendances but it's a good lesson for us too.

12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is always about the product - and the product on the field is one part of the equation. But if it was always just about the product on the field, then why did the Revs draw like shit during their greatest run of form in the 2000s? I bet 17,000 in a 20,000 stadium felt a hell of a lot better than 17,000 in a 68,000 stadium.

Ultimately, it is not just ONE thing. It is EVERYthing. This organization needs to revamp EVERYthing. If they put up a new SSS and still ran the organization like an afterthought, the novelty of the stadium would wear off. If they brought in Rooney or Zlatan and he didn't perform or the team didn't perform, any bump wouldn't last. It has to be a multifaceted approach to overhauling everything, otherwise its lipstick on a pig.

RevsLiverpool, Crooked and patfan1 repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's my point. Most revs fans' wish list:
    Urban SSS
    "Name" DP
    Treating team like a priority rather than after thought

DC checked off the first two, can't really speak to the third. They got a bump but it didn't solve all their challenges. The revs are drawing well - 36k vs LA, 19k vs Philly - but even with a SSS and Leo freaking Messi they may repeat what DC has so far without full commitment.

14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. My wish list would be all of the above. But if I broke it down even more, I could even do without the "name DP" - and probably even the urban SSS - if they did number 3. To me, it all starts with number 3.

Doublecard, RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not sure if you've been following some of the drama between the SGs and the FO, but the move into the new stadium has not been smooth. Their FO/ownership is a bit of a mess and they've been isolating some of their most ardent fans for years. I completely agree that a shiny new stadium and a big name DP are not necessarily the answer to attendance issues.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that you say that I did read about some dischord between the FO and the SGs in DC. One group had been reselling tickets and weren't allowed to do that anymore or something along those lines and were blocked from coming to games, so they all unified in protest. I'm not sure the details, I could have that wrong, but that could be one explanatory factor in the lower numbers. But yes we agree on the fundamentals.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crooked repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty low bar.

"Wull, wull, at least Bob Kraft didn't move the team to St. Louis...."

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it looks like Foxboro isn't only place where opposing stars develop a case of turfitis. Zlatan might sit out game in Seattle:

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Class move from LAFC to allow Ciman to move on and continue to seek the top medical care for his child. Also impressive that their FO was prepared enough to account for a move like this ahead of time (acquiring Danilo earlier this month). I can't lie, I'm jealous of what they're building and how they're approaching it...

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saddened when I think of how Burns would have treated this situation.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States