MLS 2018 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    TV

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to the construction of Audi Field, the sun is pretty blinding for people in the East stands (which is where the TV cameras are) until about 8 PM. National TV games in the summer at Audi will have to start at 8 PM as a result, barring some kind of renovations that are unlikely to happen.

sitruc repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have there been any full stadium games this year? Why not just tarp off the opened sections in the upper deck? Weren't they just opened?

4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    There is a day called Saturday.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the same way they’ve done in the past. The Sounders stopped capping attendance a few years ago. They start sales with only the base capacity available, but as that capacity gets sold, they open up new sections.

firefan2001 repped this.
  6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why tarp of the nest? Just tarp off the upper deck and if capacity gets sold they could open up the upper deck section. I think it would better if the entire lower bowl is sold out, versus a tarped off nest and upper deck sections opened.

7. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is part of the issue. There were some really BONEHEAD design decisions made with Audi Field that at some point will need to be fixed or they will be a drag on attendance indefinitely. The first is not ensuring that the sun bakes down on the main East stands. Most of the longtime STH chose to go to the other side of the stadium because the sun would be directly in your eyes for any time a game is played before 8:00 pm. The other massive blunder (or cost cutting issue) is that the roof does not protect most of the fans at the stadium. I selected my seat on the West stands under what I thought was cover. It turns out that despite being halfway back, I'm still not protected from the rain. Even though we have a roof above us due to the industrial design there are no covering pieces to the roof for two whole sections of the roof frame closest to the pitch. Based on a couple of games being soaked I am already thinking about either try ing to move higher or baring that drop my season tickets. I will not sit in the rain to watch a game.

USSoccerNova and sitruc repped this.
  8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    You are literally a fair weather fan ;)

Kejsare, El Naranja and crookeddy repped this.
  9. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you that there are so many problems with attending a game at Audi, that I would not be surprised that unless United is vying for championships, they will sink to Colorado levels of attendance. It seems they we in such a rush to get out of RFK that they screwed the pooch with the stadium design and the expectation for travel to and from the stadium.

10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to convince Fox and ESPN to change their main national TV windows off of Sunday.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp. Good luck with that.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not when everything else was announced. No.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because while the rest of the stadium has a season ticket retention rate above 90%, the Hawk’s Nest’s retention rate is in the single digits. It also has poor single game sales. From a customer preference standpoint, Sounders fan’s overwhelmingly prefer to sit somewhere else, including in the upper deck (which is an excellent viewpoint to watch the game from, BTW).

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I sure do remember a lot of discussions about the capacity and how it was shoehorned in with no ability to expand.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Ability to expand is not the same as being too small.

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

17. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I know it is a different stadium but I stood in the 3rd tier standing room section at Mercedes Benz, which is in the end of the stadium (like the hawks nest)...it was the best view I have ever had at a live match and I have been to many. It was fantastic. My wife and I couldn't get over how much we liked it. I may try to sit upper deck end zone for every game from now on. I am not sure if that compares to the hawks nest or not.
    Do you know why people don't like it?

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve never sat in it, but from what I understand, it is metal bench seating, steep, poor access to amenities, and totally exposed to the environment. It’s also the only opening on the stadium, so on those cold, windy, and/or rainy game days it’s kind of like being in a wind tunnel. It was built for the more hardcore Seawhawk fans (or they were convinced it was built for them) and, from what I understand, the metal structure can generate a good amount of noise when it is beat on. However, the Sounders didn’t open the Hawk’s Nest until several seasons after the MLS inaugural and ECS is at the opposite end of the stadium, so the people buying tickets there are more casual, family oriented fans that aren’t there to make noise and are less tolerant of the previously mentioned negatives.

[​IMG]

jayd8888, Justin O, Bluecat82 and 3 others repped this.
  19. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It looks so cool on TV when full, but that close up photo really shines a different light on it. Unfortunately having a tarp in such a visible place won't look too great on tv.... #SoundersSSSplease

21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look like demand is good for the Galaxy game, the 7 sections in the upper deck are completely open, not just half way up. So that would make a crowd of 42k, that is more of the stadium doesn't open up.

Do you know if Zlatan is traveling with the team? He's been good of a few more butts in the seats, maybe that's why the entire 7 section are open.

With part of the Hawks Nest being tarped off next year. Do you guys plan on opening more of the upper deck?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of one of those gorgeous sunny late summer Seattle days you couldn't pay me to sit in the Hawk's Nest or the east end bleachers at Husky Stadium in the fall. I'd prefer to survive the game without icing up...

Justin O, jaykoz3 and Yoshou repped this.
  23. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Just a couple of notes on the DCU Audi situation. In terms of rain, DC is not Seattle; I'm a long-time DCU STH, and it typically rains 2-4 times a season. Unfortunately, in four Audi home games this season we've had two significant rains. In terms of the sun it's a real issue, but only in the 2-3 months around the solstice, and fixed with an 8:00 start time. Unfortunately our weird schedule this season includes several Sunday and Wednesday 8:00 start times. Next season we'll be back to Saturday evening games where 8:00 shouldn't be problem.

In DC we've had a bad stadium but easy commuting and parking. That was never going to be the case in a new stadium. Eventually parking will sort itself out. 30,000 Nats fans figure out how to get there 81 times a year. Actually if/when the parking garage at Nats Stadium opens for DCU games the problem will be solved.

EdTheRed, jaykoz3 and harrylee773 repped this.
  24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy have been a good draw since we joined the league and its not necessarily because of one player, but because when we joined the league, they were the best team in the league. Since Sounders fans wanted to be the best in the league, that meant we had to go through the Galaxy and, invariably, the Galaxy kept finding ways to beat the Sounders. In fact, when they did full stadium packages, it was a game against the Timbers, Whitecaps, Galaxy, and one other team.

I doubt that Zlatan will be playing. Our turf is crap and I doubt he wants to put his knees through that. However, despite what I said above and him probably not playing, I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved a few tickets.

I don’t know that. Sorry. I’m going off a tweet I saw and now I can’t find the tweet.

firefan2001 repped this.
  25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a surprise if he starts. This will be his third game in a week.