PBP: MLS 2017 Week 32 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ManiacalClown, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent and detailed post...so let me go the Full BS and pick on a pick-a-yune part of it.... But in honor of that excellent and detailed post I'll try to up my game and not just go with every lazy man's reliance on Wikipedia.....;)

[1] The UK's "Phrasefinder" gives this:
    "An unseasonably warm, dry and calm weather, usually following a period of colder weather or frost in the late Autumn (or in the Southern hemisphere, where the term is less common, the late Spring). "

[2] In fulsome support of this, here is The Guardian [who has been Guarding the Gates of Progress, from people like me, for a nicely long time].
    "
    The Met Office Meteorological Glossary, first published in 1916, defines an Indian summer as ‘a warm, calm spell of weather occurring in autumn, especially in October and November.’ While the definition of an Indian summer seems quite straightforward, the origins of the phrase are a little hazy.

You could be forgiven for thinking that it comes from British colonial rule in India. But the more likely explanation is that it was first coined along the American east coast where warm weather in autumn is not uncommon. One theory even goes as far as to credit it to Native Americans - ‘American Indians’ - who are said to have taken advantage of mild autumnal weather to hunt and forage later in the day to build up winter food stocks.

Though not confirming the latter, William R Deedler, a US weather historian, does add weight to the idea that the term does comes from north America. In 1996, Deedler cited St John de Crevecoeur, a French American author turned Orange County farmer, who in 1778 wrote:

Sometimes the rain is followed by an interval of calm and warmth which is called the Indian Summer; its characteristics are a tranquil atmosphere and general smokiness.

Closer to home, the Manchester Guardian tried to explain an Indian summer to its readers in 1837. The piece below, written by someone who lived through an Indian summer in the US, questioned whether Native Americans had influenced the origins of the phrase. In any case, the writer didn’t care much for warm and bright autumns, saying they were ‘peculiar’ and had ‘little beauty’.

[3] To go with the obvious possible confusion on the name, the confusion referenced by the Guardian, here is what TheHindu.com had to say:
    "
    What is the meaning and origin of ‘Indian summer’?

(BC Koshy, Bangalore)

The Indian in the expression has nothing to do with people from our country. It refers to the ‘Red Indians’ in America — ‘Native Americans’ as they are called now. The term ‘Indian summer’, which has been part of the language for over two centuries, refers to the heat wave that occurs in North America in autumn — the sudden rise in temperature is accompanied by dry and hazy conditions. Many believe J H St. John de Crevecoeur, a French-American farmer, coined this term in his book, Letters from an American farmer. This is the only thing that people can say with any certainty about the expression. As to its origin, no one is really sure. According to one theory, Native Americans did a lot of hunting in late autumn in order to stock food for the winter. Very often, they set fire to the dry grass making it difficult for animals to see the hunter’s approach. It was these prairie fires that made things look hazy. Nowadays, ‘Indian summer’ refers to a happy period that occurs late in one’s life or career. It can also be used to refer to someone who experiences success late in life.

*The professor is in the Indian summer of his brilliant career. "

[4] Now, to go to the archives of the fount of all Yankee farming know how and lore, here is. The Old Farmer's Almanac. You will notice it has very strict criterion for being Ye Olde Indian Summer. Apparently Olde Schoole was Harde Schoole.
    "
    WHAT IS AN INDIAN SUMMER? Here are criteria for an Indian summer:
    [1] As well as being warm, the atmosphere during Indian summer is hazy or smoky, there is no wind, the barometer is standing high, and the nights are clear and chilly.
    [2] A moving, cool, shallow polar air mass is converting into a deep, warm, stagnant anticyclone (high pressure) system, which has the effect of causing the haze and large swing in temperature between day and night.
    [3] The time of occurrence is important: The warm days must follow a spell of cold weather or a good hard frost.
    [4] The conditions described above must occur between St. Martin’s Day (November 11) and November 20. For over 200 years, The Old Farmer’s Almanac has adhered to the saying, “If All Saints’ (November 1) brings out winter, St. Martin’s brings out Indian summer.” "

So, as long as there was an initial frosty day or two [as sure has happened here in central Massachusetts], Cobi Jones might well have been right to refer to the state of the day as "Indian Summer". Although Olde School would hit him with the rod for forgetting the November 11-20 requirement.....:D

beamish, jayd8888 and ManiacalClown repped this.
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You saw more than the Washington Post reported.

sitruc, onefineesq and TOAzer repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Oh Weah! Oh Weah! Oh Weah! Oh Weah!

1-0 USA U-17 up on Panama. 20mins or so in.

sitruc repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Weah just scored the most brilliant effin goal. US 2 - 0 Paraguay

SccrDon repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah 3, Carleton 1, Sargent 1

5-0 US after 79'minutes.

JayRockers! repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah to MetroStars

7. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    You're absolutely right. This is what happens when I rely on a memory from seven days before without double checking.

Sounders78 repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well damn, I blew that one. I wonder where I picked up the wrong information and got confused because I was absolutely sure I was right on that one. Thanks for setting me straight!

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't know about other parts of the country but in the Midwest growing up a warm spell in the winter was a "January Thaw." This has actually been measured. The last week of January is at least half the time 10 degrees warmer than the preceding AND following week. It isn't necessarily an actual thaw but it is warmer.

11. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I just combined the two in my head. Memory is weird like that sometimes.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn foreigners! Always muckin things up.

J-League goalkeeping, coming to an MLS stadium near you.....Austin :rolleyes:

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoiler

USA vs. England 10:20 am ET on Saturday.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing that didn't happen in some other countries, where the GK would have completely blown the guy up and then whined incessantly about the resulting red card.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first saw the slide tackle attempt, I thought he was going to truck that player. Damn near injured himself.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I already hate England's goalkeeper.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Spoiler:
    Show Spoiler
    You can type [ spoiler ][ /spoiler ] without the spaces to create a hidden "spoiler".

Paul Berry repped this.
  18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Bill Hamid years ago. Similar situation as this, but on the near side.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jack Harrison's red card was rescinded, which feels a little bit delayed in a league with video review.

20. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems unnecessary. It wasn't a clear and obvious error to send off Harrison. His leg is straight, his studs are up, and there is a significant amount of contact. It wasn't a phantom foul or a dive. Everyone on the pitch immediately identified it as a particularly bad tackle, including Harrison himself. The expectation was always that there would be a card shown. The only question was which color. I don't think it's within the spirit of the appeal process to rescind the red here.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They must have seen it as a clear and obvious error or something.