PBP: MLS 2017 Week 32 Continuous PBP Thread [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by ManiacalClown, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Job for life!

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunch of gifs about to happen.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Also, no VAR to see the elbow in the buildup to the goal. Missed red cards and all that.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Neagle, too.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United was successfully combed!

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anything Portland can do, Seattle can do too.

Seattle 4-0 (Federal Way's own Neagle)

8. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD got blown out and picked apart.

@ElJefe

[​IMG]

Ismitje, jayd8888, SccrDon and 11 others repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DCU served its current purpose.

sitruc repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** Cascadia combs all around except for the boring tie because ******** Canada.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  11. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totem'd in Oregon.

[​IMG]

Ismitje, jayd8888, EvilTree and 5 others repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.

JayRockers! repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tim Howard sure picked the wrong night to start making saves.

jayd8888, JasonMa, rslfanboy and 5 others repped this.
  14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So it will be Portland v Vancouver for 1st in the West, with the loser possibly dropping to 3rd or 4th.

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Wonder if he'll be cleared for the legends game?

sitruc repped this.
  16. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Congratulations on being another ********ing boring scoreless tie, SKC-Houston.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable. The same Earthquakes team that I recently saw live, getting spanked at home by the Fire 1-4, and who looked like an amateur team, now has the inside track to the final playoff spot in the West. How can the West be that bad?

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** that shitty few hours of MLS coming to an end.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched both the most entertaining game of the day (Chicago vs Philly) and the least entertaining game of the day (RSL vs Colorado).

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, just saw the Birnbaum play ... no bueno! He was completely OUT. It was like watching Pacquiao in the last Juan Manuel Marquez fight.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the win the Rapids have managed to guarantee a better pls/game than their worst two seasons (2014 and 2001). They can pass 1996 with a win in Seattle (ha!).

SccrDon repped this.
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently catching up with the condensed matches as I was stuck at work all evening so I'm compiling my thoughts here:

CHI v PHI: Fun game. Tried to pay as much attention as I could. As long as Nikolic keeps scoring, the Fire are a contender, but if the offense dries up like it did earlier this year, they don't have the defense to compete.

NE v NYC: Good red card to Harrison. Not every referee is going to go red there, especially when it was the first misconduct issued in the match, but he slid through the opponent with a straight leg, studs up. Mitigating factor would be the distance from the opponent when he started the slide, it certainly wasn't a flying lunge or anything, but IMO the contact he made with that straight leg was too severe to call it just reckless. Vieira's comments were out of line.

NY v ATL: Zzzzzzz oh shit they called a foul throw on someone? LOL. Worthless finishing from both teams.

ORL v CLB: I've watched this league for a long time, and right now, Columbus is the team that to me most resembles the late surge to MLS Cup teams from seasons past. I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs. Orlando, meanwhile, has been an unmitigated disaster this year. The damage done by not making the playoffs after their strong start in their new stadium is severe. They need something more than just a coach who isn't Jason Kreis. Jettisoning most of the front office would be a start. Then again, considering their misfortunes really started after the referee doxxing incident, maybe it's just karma?

TOR v MTL: The thing about Ted Unkel is that he's a little too symmetrical. Seriously, go look at his picture on the PRO website and tell me that isn't a little uncanny valley. I'm really glad we get to watch the Shield being handed over in the condensed match because that's definitely what I tuned in to see. Of course the lone goal comes off what probably should have been a foul on the other end of the pitch, but unlike a similar situation earlier this year, this one wasn't a part of the attacking phase of play that led to the goal, I guess. I don't think Toronto ever lost possession after the missed foul call, though. Good call on the penalty and the retake IMO. Surprised Unkel appeared to make the call without a flag from the AR, who looked to be backing up into position for dynamic play

COL v RSL: I've predicted Colorado wins their final two games so I'm feeling pretty good after this one. Except for the part where I watched even 20 minutes worth of this garbage. I did appreciate the subtle homoeroticism of Gatt's goal celebration, however. Horst could have easily picked up a second yellow just before halftime, but he was always really nice to me when he came into the restaurant so he can throw a few bows for all I care. What was the potential video review that didn't happen? I wasn't paying attention.

SKC v HOU: Zzzzzzzzzzz Tyler Deric had a great game.

LA v MIN : Poor Minnesota. This is going to drop them back behind Chivas USA on PPG. Cobi Jones thinks unseasonably warm weather in the fall is an "Indian summer." He is wrong. The term traditionally refers to a mid-winter thawing, typically in January. Didn't see a good enough replay angle on the condensed match to be sure the second goal was over the line, but I'm assuming the VAR did. Understandable miss from the AR, and a positive, fairly unintrusive use of video review to correct the error.

SEA v DAL: PRO has had some recent training sessions that involved examining video review situations and discussing not just accuracy of the decisions but whether it was appropriate to use video review at all. It really shows. A couple of weeks ago, that tackle from Javier Morales almost certainly would have triggered a video review. Now they're practically tripping over themselves not to review for serious foul play. It's really glaring. Yay for the Comb.

VAN v SJ: The West truly is awful, or at best horribly inconsistent, this season.

POR v DC: DC makes the West look good. The biggest point of debate here is whether the referee could have known the severity of Birnbaum's injury and stopped play before the last goal. I'm not sure who would have had the best angle on it. 4th official, probably, but again, I'm not sure he would have been able to tell immediately, either. Any update on the injury?

TOAzer repped this.
  24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Winner secures Cascadia Cup as well, if I'm not mistaken.

25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think you're mistaken. If I'm not mistaken:

Vancouver win = Vancouver 1st in West, 3rd in Cascadia with the Cup going to Seattle
    Draw = Vancouver 1st in West but the Cup goes to Seattle
    Portland win = Portland 1st in West and Cascadia Cup

Golazo and Kejsare repped this.