MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Considering sold out for Galaxy is 25k now. I agree they aren't getting 33k. I thought the college/university that it was housed on their property had some rule against a crowd larger than a certain amount. Pretty sure it is less than 33k.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read on these forums 3,000 extra seats are being added and the local crowd size rules have mysteriously been waived. I don't know if there is extra standing room. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RfrancisR repped this.
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I read in the LA times that these renovations are adding about 1000 seats. That doesn't even take the Stubby to 30k.

The MLS Cups that pulled 30k, did so erecting temporary seating on scaffolds above the two east corners of the lower bowls.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    That has also been done. But they replaced many bleachers with seats which decreases capacity, and replaced the standing room grass berm with seats, which also decreases capacity. I don't see how they can get to 30k.

barroldinho repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought the local crowd rules only applied on weeknights when classes were in session. I've seen a number of games over the years where they've exceeded capacity by opening the old grass berm under the northern scoreboard.

The weeknight restrictions BTW are very prohibitive. I believe the Galaxy has had to have special permission from CSUDH to fill the lower bowl for particularly high-profile CONCACAF games*.

*As one might expect, this isn't something that comes up too often.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I am definitely not positive, but I thought there were 2 caps a lower weeknight cap and a larger weekend cap. Could be way off though. I have heard talk of Galaxy announcing lower attendances than they actually had for weekend games because of said cap.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I know they're building a permanent extension above the LARS section (138).

I completely agree that 30k, let alone 33k is not happening. The way the Galaxy have been this season, I can see us losing a number of our more casual fans to LAFC next year.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    One thing they seem to be doing is selling the cabanas and other luxury level seats separately, while the Galaxy offers them as an alternative seat to club seat owners (that's why the club seats are always empty). I can't imagine this increases capacity by more than a few hundred though.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...wd-than-l-a-galaxy-for-their-preseason-debut/

Remember when we were seeing articles about MLS teams getting small crowds in NFL stadiums? This is... amazing.

Discourse is misleading of course. The Galaxy never sold out a preseason match, and never got 21k to a preseason match either... But this is the NFL, and it's the team's debut. Hard to find an event for comparison.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #1887 whiteonrice04, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    It is very hard to figure out what the final capacity will be with the changes made for the Chargers. this article also has some fun stuff that we all like to discuss here about the roof being specifically designed to "reverberate" the crowd noise. Also, says the roof is in place because in 2003 JK insisted it.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-chargers-stubhub-20170810-story.html
    Here are things it mentions for capacity:
    "The Chargers will add three rows of field-level bleachers in at least two corners of the end zone, bringing hundreds of fans who can afford the high-priced seats even closer to the action."

"The bleachers in the second deck on the east side of the stadium were replaced by tip-up seats and moved to the berm on the north side, adding 1,000 seats. A new section of upper-level bleachers, which will seat 330, was erected in the southeast corner of the stadium."
    Is that 1000 total including the reduction in seats in the upper deck?

I found this interesting.
    "Fans will have use of the restrooms and concession stands at the 8,000-seat tennis stadium next door. A new concession area with food trucks, beer trucks and high-end portable restrooms will be added behind the berm on the north side."

And then they are doing a whole bunch to the press/luxary boxes. I can't even follow what all they are saying.

I don't see how they could be adding 5k to the current 25k. mentions "hundreds" in the corners, 1000 on the berm, 330 new upper level bleachers and some box additions. I could see maybe an additional 2000 on top of the existing 25k capacity. If the Chargers ever announce 33k then either they are lying or Galaxy have been lying about 25k being current max capacity (when not using the berm).

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    People claim that they would rather eat their hat. This is an easy one for me I would jump at the chance, I'd eat it with my socks. I guess I would be walking very far, because that is NOT happening.

15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Considering about 1000 people showed up for the majority of the game, yeah ;)

Thx,

Jay!

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS CUP 2012 in Los Angeles 30,510

19. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    They have reduced seating since then. This has already been discussed. My understanding is the capacity with the berm in use was 27k range and without was 25k range before any changes for the chargers.

20. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have plenty of games that were 27,000 and NOT a single person on the berm. The reason they had 30,510 for MLS CUP 2012 was because they counted the fans on the berm.

21. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #1896 whiteonrice04, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    When was their last 27k? Again I understand they have had 27k in the past. The capacity has been reduced.

Edit: they had 4 27k games last year. Not sure if those were with the berm open or not. All sellouts this year have been 25667.

22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they reduced capacity starting in 2016 to 25,667, but they had THREE games with a crowd of 27,167.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Grass berm was open for those. I think once they open it, they count it as full, even if there is only 1 person there.

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the highlights from those games and there weren't any fans on the berm. Full is 25,667. They had games is the past when there were a couple thousand on the berm and the attendance was 27,000 (Capacity was 27,000 in the past).

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    27000 is a fake number that the fire marshal told the team is a maximum sellout, so they just used that number to indicate a sellout even if they distributed a different number of tickets.