MLS 2017 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Andy_B, Mar 4, 2017.

1. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season includes the ninth and tenth times a soccer team averaged over 40,000: six by the Sounders, three by the Cosmos (the real ones), and one by Atlanta U. Atlanta is taking the top spot, leaving the last Cosmos brag as being the only team with multiple 45+ years.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Stilettos are usually better than broadswords, especially when dealing with a windbag.

Repped

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70,426 and counting so far as of, as of 10/6 (48,115), i hope they open up as much of SRO tickets possible.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33,767 in New England
    25,219 for NYRB
    25,166 for Orlando
    27,866 for Toronto
    13,102 for Colorado
    19,083 for SKC
    23,377 for LAG
    48,478 for Seattle
    22,120 for Vancouver
    ??,??? for Portland

Average well over 25,000 on Sunday (assuming Portland drew their typical 21,144)

Len and The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nearly 34k in Boston (exurbs)!

What gives?

7. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    An attendance bump happens for the final game at NE pretty much every single year - something to do with unused tickets in the season ticket package I believe.

Kejsare and The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Same here in Colorado. Unused tix can be used. Only difference is that the fans here give about as much $&it as KSE does about this team. :(

JasonMa repped this.
  9. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    21175 average for red bull arena - record for the stadium.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    quick question about this....is the boost an actual boost in attendance (ie. do people who have not used their tickets all show up for the last match) or is it a "tickets distributed boost" (ie. since that is the last day they can be used they are counted as distributed for that match and therefore part of that match's attendance)?

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  12. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    See, I think this is a valid question and discussion but the "can't discuss butts in the seats" crew would blast many if they posed this question or line of discussion.
    Just trying to point out there are times to discuss butts in the seats.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Bring on the slippery slope fallacy.

Though now I am trying to figure out how to discuss whether there really were more butts in seats, and it's kind of impossible from pics. All depends on angle and time picture was taken...

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I didn't mean it to start a "butts in seats" discussion....was just curious (living in a market with much lower season seat flexibility) how people actually use that flexibility.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Kind of interesting that Chivas will probably have the attendance record forever with 92,650 for a doubleheader. Hardly any stadiums are big enough to beat it.

17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I think it is an interesting question and have wondered myself. It looked like a pretty decent crowd on TV. Looked bigger than normal.

TOareaFan repped this.
  18. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #2543 Coyote89, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    ATL will have well over 70K. They are opening the entire stadium and had sold 70,426 as of a week ago. 22K season average is a near certainty at this point.

Meanwhile, this doesn't get much discussion, but aggregate attendance, league-wide, should end up around 8.3 million which would cause MLS to leapfrog Ligue 1 and Liga MX into fifth place in the world, behind only EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, and just barely behind Serie A. And that's with only 22 teams. When the league expands to 28, it will easily pass Serie A, and likely pass La Liga, in aggregate attendance for the #3 spot in the world.

Granted, most other leagues have only 20 teams whereas MLS is on a path to 28. But MLS plays only 34 regular season games vs. 38 in many other leagues. Also, since we don't have many clubs in close proximity to one another, we can't sell a few thousand tickets to visiting fans. We have to rely almost entirely on home fans for a majority of games. Ultimately, aggregate attendance indicates the total number of people buying tickets to see a senior division soccer match in one country vs. another, so I'd argue it's even more relevant than comparing average attendance.

19. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was much bigger than normal. The lower bowl, before they dug out the end zone and put some premium seats there, held about 30k in the early days of the stadium, not sure what impact the renovations had. The lower bowl seemed full, or close to it, and then they had a decent amount of people up in the red club seats. So it seems like ~35k seats were probably open and it seemed fairly full.

whiteonrice04 and TOareaFan repped this.
  20. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that kind of the point of the rule to not discuss butts in seats? It's pretty much impossible to come up with any standard that takes in to account all of the variables - camera angles, people at the concessions, in the parking lot, time of game, etc. Even if you're going to single-handedly count every visible spectator in a seat, you're still not going to come up with anything close to a relevant number to discuss.

21. Kicking It Sports

Kicking It Sports New Member

Univerisity of Louisiana at Monroe Women's Soccer
    United States
    Sep 28, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, MLS is behind the 2. Division German Bundesliga and the Chinese Super League, then the Serie A. I don't know why we still have to validate success with attendance? MLS isn't dying. We should appreciate the hardcore fans who support the MLS and try to stop convincing this country and the world we like soccer. I for one enjoy our cult status and soccer has been around long enough for people to like it or hate it. I know people who are well aware of soccer and still don't like it. That's fine by me.

KCbus, bbsbt and TOareaFan repped this.
  22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2547 FoxBoro 143, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    I don't think actual discrepancies make any difference. Now that this thread has evolved to less if a data driven thread to a more broad view of attendance trends and it's impact on the perceived financial health of the league, things other than the announced numbers are important topics of discussion imo. Things such as pricing, giveaways, promotions and obvious no shows are worth discussing.
    I agree we should not be arguing over butts in seats. But when it's clearly different than the announced, knowing why is relevant. Was it weather, promotions, poor team performance, etc.
    If we'd rather go over the same fish puns again and again, then let me know, because that makes this thread completely obsolete and I'll just look at the numbers elsewhere.

crookeddy and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/2_Bundesliga_2016-2017/stats/home_avg_atte/ .... 21722 for 2 Bundesliga last year, 17265 so far this year.

MLS isn't behind that.

24. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    :eek: "the MLS" ?... "THE MLS" ?...:mad:

o_O oh, wait, you are a newbie, so you couldn't possibly know.
    Ok, you are forgiven.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tip of the cap to the Rapids ticketing group. The fact that we managed to average 15,322 and reports are season ticket holder retention is solid is remarkable given the utter crap that was on the field this season. I bet they're doing it mainly through corporate and group tickets but whatever they're doing, its working.

BalanceUT, Stuart95 and GunnerJacket repped this.