MLS 2015 Season, Other Teams Thread II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 1, 2015.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the comment you're responding to is in regards to NYCFC.

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I believe that most if not all the players I listed were DPs. Some of them only due to transfer fees, like Chara (their version of Bengston) but they're still DPs, not just players on Goncalves-type salaries.

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Totally agree - and to quote Tom and I. ;)

And I found this interesting from Grant Wahl regarding high priced DPs and the players EVERYONE wants:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...vieira-nycfc-bob-bradley-world-cup-qualifying

Well, it shows you can in fact compete for titles in present-day MLS even if you don’t spend more on payroll than most of the teams in the league. That was beginning to become a question as LA Galaxy had won three of the last four MLS Cups with one of the league’s highest payrolls.

That said, we shouldn’t look just at the payroll figures put out by the MLS Players Union. For example, the New York Red Bulls have the league’s lowest payroll per the MLSPU, but they also spent a significant additional amount on transfer fees this year. It’s interesting: The media often fail to include salary information (and focus only on transfer fees) when they report on player acquisitions in the biggest European leagues, but in MLS it’s often the opposite.
    Portland’s payroll is in the bottom half of the league, but it spent $5 million on Lucas Melano’s transfer fee.

Bottom line - you have to spend SOMEWHERE to compete. :(

a517dogg and Crooked repped this.
  4. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Anyone have any rooting interests for the remaining MLS playoffs?

I'd like to see a FCD vs. NYRB Final for a bunch of reasons:
    • I want Dallas because literally no one talked about them all season despite barely missing the Shield on tiebreakers. It's a team with no stars and no hype kicking everyone's butt.
    • I enjoy seeing the Cascadia teams suffer (although I like the Timbers far more than the Sounders) - all that league coverage (sooo many freakin' prime national TV games dedicated to a rivalry 85% of the league's fanbase doesn't care about) and zero Cups.
    • Despite the conference rivalry I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for the Red Bulls - partially because my brother lived in New York City until very recently, partially because NYCFC is far less likable, partially because I've enjoyed their style of play this year, and partially because of the persistent rumors that Red Bull corporate doesn't even want them anymore and it would be fun for them to shove a league double in HQ's face.
    • Columbus is the only team left with a prior Cup and it would be nice to see a new champion crowned.

Crooked and BrianLBI repped this.
  5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm supporting FCD. Fun as hell to watch - I want to see more.

I'd rather RBNY not win the double, thank you very much!

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD fans have always been cool by me. I've been down there about 10 times for Revs games, including the USOC Final that we won, and even though they lost to us ... they were awesome by us.

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've got no grudge against any of the teams remaining. Columbus: I dislike Gehrig. But they at least play attractive soccer.
    I've never felt strongly about the Revs vs RBNY rivalry. I really disliked them when they had Thierry Henry. He's gone and their team feels completely different from last year.
    I love watching Diaz and Castillo play, even if it requires watching Blaz Perez flop all over the field occasionally.
    And Portland just looks like a complete team (although they'll be less complete without Valeri).

Really, any of the four possible matchups remaining will be fun to watch. Dallas's wingers pinning back Columbus's fullbacks, with Dallas's homegrown D-Mids tracking Higuain. Miazga vs Adi. Kljestan vs Chara in monster-mode. Or Castillo vs RBNY's left-fullback by committee, with McCarty vs Diaz.

Too bad this is in the "other teams" thread.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rooting for whoever wins the west. Yes, there is a lot to like about Dallas, and Portland is much more likable that Seattle (well, that's like seeing better than Helen Keller, but you get the idea). In the east, this is an "asteroid" game, but if pushed, I would have to prefer the Red Bulls to the toothless inbred cow-shagging slack-jawed yokels from Central Ohio. To rank them, it's Dallas. Portland, NY and Columbus

ZipSix repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting article from a Philly writer talking about the Montreal Impact, and how the Union might look at some of the things they are doing right.

The Revs seem to miss the boat in this area. Instead of copying good ideas that work with other clubs, they insist on the "not invented here" syndrome. Think they would have even considered Jason Kreis as their coach (if he was available) when they hired Heaps? No, their whole emphasis was someone they knew, someone they felt comfortable with, and not someone who had proven success in a similarly run "value-based" operation.

10. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah in terms of style I think Dallas is #1 of the remaining team. I'd prefer to final to take place in an a nice stadium though, so I wouldn't mind NYRB.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how good a coach he is but someone was able to beef up his roster with a few real game changing level players, The Rev Director of Player Personnel didn't do *********.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have mercy on the children!

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how the Crew made Red Balls look ordinary. Getting a goal in the first 9 seconds of a match will do that I guess :)

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD gave up a crushing third goal in extra time and are now down 3-1 heading home.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that Boston City Football Club (Boston, MA) has joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the Northeast Region’s North Atlantic Conference.
    “The Greater Boston area is a tremendous soccer market, one with great history and tradition,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone commented. “We are excited to have another team here in the Northeast. This shows that the NPSL is truly growing the game from coast to coast.”
    The club is led by CEO Renato Valentim, President Jorge Silva, Executive Vice President Cesar Piovezanni, and Vice President of Business Development Lelio Ravagnani.
    Valentim is co-founder of Boston City FC. He is also the Vice President of Business Development and Construction at the Tavern in the Square restaurants in Massachusetts.
    Silva, who is also known as Palhinha, is the other co-founder of Boston City FC. He is a world-renowned Brazilian footballer best known for his time with São Paulo and the Brazil national team. As a player, he won the Intercontinental Cup twice and the Copa Libertadores three times, finishing as the tournament’s top scorer in 1992.
    Piovezanni is in charge of Boston City FC’s administration and operational development. A Brazilian attorney and businessman, Piovezanni has been active in sports journalism and entertainment in Brazil and has also been involved in programs that search for soccer talent.
    Ravagnani has over four decades of experience working in medium and large international businesses. He splits his operations between the United States and Brazil and will be using his experience to make Boston City FC an internationally recognized brand.
    “Boston City FC decided that the NPSL was the best choice for the organization’s vision,” Valentim added. “We value the NPSL’s organizational structure, its plans to expand, the number of teams in the league, the way the conferences are divided, and their national reach. We are excited to be a member of the NPSL and look forward to a successful future.”
    Boston City FC was founded in 2015, as a partnership between two soccer aficionados: a former professional soccer player and a successful Boston businessman. Boston City FC’s philosophy stems from developing the soccer, teamwork, and leadership skills of its players, providing affordable entertainment to the Greater Boston public, and strengthening Boston’s love for soccer. Boston City FC also plans on helping local youth through its soccer academy. Currently Boston City FC is sponsored by Tavern in the Square and two Brazilian companies, Kick Ball and Alimentos Cardeal.
    More information about the club can be found at www.bostoncityfc.com or by following the club on Twitter (@bostoncityfc1), Instagram (@bostoncityfc), and Facebook (www.facebook.com/bostoncityfc).

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q&A with Sigi.

In the meantime, still not a peep out of the Revs FO.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tale of two cities:

LA Galaxy currently unsure how to keep Omar Gonzalez on roster in 2016
    November 19, 20156:30 PM EST
    Scott French
    MLSsoccer.com

Meanwhile, the Revs have yet to touch their TAM, saving it for a rainy day.

I'm not advocating blowing the whole wad in one shot like LA did, I just find the two extremes interesting. Especially considering both teams ended up in about the same place (5th-seed, first round exit).

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And their roster spots.... and salary cap space ... and international spots ... and DP spots ... and a coaching position...

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002