Mladic arrested

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by johan neeskens, May 26, 2011.

1. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2011 is getting better and better. Arab Awakening, Osama dead, Mladic arrested.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kim Jong (North Korea guy) you are next!

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't think they'll be chucking Mladic in the ocean mind!

He's on his way to The Hague.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ratko Mladic arrested

Ratko Mladic, who was responsible for the Srbenica massacre, was caught today outside Belgrade. He's been clearly living with some support from some members in the Serbian power structure. His capture is a major step to Serbia rejoining the community of European nations.

5. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Re: Ratko Mladic arrested

Good news, especially for the victims of his barbaric doings. Serbia's status will heavily elevate after this.

Really bad though that he is practically accused ''just'' for the Sarajevo siege and the Srebrenica massacre. Croatia's government must do something more about that.

In the western media, from what I read, there is nothing about his war crimes in Škabrnja (Croatia) in 1991 and heavy excessively artillery attacks and bombardments of Croatian towns Zadar and Šibenik during the Homeland war which caused a lot of destruction. I repeat, no accusements about that. When the Croats are victims in their territory, that's ok. Is that the message the world is sending perhaps?

6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Thank you, Serbia. This is how you treat war criminals. Shame it took so long, but this is fantastic news.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think the world is saying anything he did is okay. The fact that he is arrested and facing trial is in fact a strong message that no matter who you are you cannot get away with these sorts of actions against civilians. It doesn't matter whether the victims are Croats, Bosnians, Serb or whoever eventually you will be caught. This a great day for all of Yugoslavia (former) and we should really welcome Serbia's efforts to face it's history and return to the fold of responsible nations. All countries should support them and reflect on their own misdeeds as well.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

If the Croats can provide the International Court with evidence, he'll be surely charged for these crimes as well (even though it won't change the verdict's outcome).

Anyway, great news that he finally can't hide anymore! Took the Serbs pretty long, though.

9. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009

Yes, but with talking just about two of his major crimes he committed, while the others are ignored and not even accused for them by the Haague Tribunal, then you'll know something is wrong. He started his ''war career'' in Croatia where what he did is not mentioned anywhere today, before becoming the VRS commander.

Here you have a list of procedures Croatia had taken until now against Mladić for the crimes against civilians and cities on Croatia's territory (for some he was even sentenced in absentia):
    http://www.dorh.hr/DrzavnoOdvjetnistvoRepublikeHrvatskePriopcenje01

You can translate it with google if you want.

Brammertz said today though, if the source isn't wrong, that he will expand tha accusation. Strongly hope that will be done.

10. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
  11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Often times it's easier to focus on one charge because it still serves the purpose of putting them behind bars. Srbenica is what the media will focus on in the US and elsewhere because it is a household name that ordinary people recognize. Even if Mladic dies behind bars, it still serves the purpose that he was not allowed to live out his life in comfort and really isn't as important that he hears guilty as that he is no longer free.

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Is there a Serbian military garrison nearby? Perhaps if the Pakistani authorities had acted in a similar fashion, bin Laden would be under arrest, instead of fish food.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    By that note Pakistan would have had another 5 years to 'find' him...

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The Serb nationalists are pissed off, of course, because Mladic is a 'war hero'.

Talk in the Netherlands is about how this will impact Serbia's chances of EU membership. The Netherlands has been the only country opposing Serbian EU membership, pretty much, precisely because of the Serb's unwillingness to arrest Mladic.

15. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Well, now that you mention it, I did do a cursory google search :D:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, we need to start sending the seals in more often.

How much is this trial going to cost?

Cheaper to send in a seal team, even if we lose another helicopter.

How about

1. Dude from Sudan.
    2. Dude from North Korea
    3. Dude in Libya.
    4. How about the Generals in Burma?
    5. The crazy guy that keeps predicting the end of the world.

17. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009

I don't think we should applaud Serbia for this arrest. It took them too long. And when taking into account that Mladić after Dayton enjoyed great support by the Serb government and that the arrest happened these days when Serbia is awaiting Brammertz's mark on their collaboration with the Tribunal in Haague (which would give them the EU candidate status), someone could easily say that they knew all the time where was he. They just waited for the best possible moment and when the accused got old. They are sure he will die before being sentenced, and just like with Milošević, Serbia's role in Croatia and Bosnia will not be sanctioned rightly.

I don't want to go off-topic (sorry for that), but I really cannot understand the mind of those supporting him. Supporting someone who ordered Škabrnja and Srebrenica massacres is unexplainable. Those people call him ''hero'', but he was in reality a great general only against civilians and a poorly armed army (under the embargo in 1991 and 1992). Whenever he was confronted against a well armed and trained army (like the HV 1993-1995), he was regularly losing. He was a ***** against Gotovina's forces, which stopped him from doing more crimes and atrocities (Bihać for instance) and made his troops ran like rabbits during the successful 1995 operation cycle.

18. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009

I can agree with this. Really sad though that those ordinary people are not better informed on some other atrocities he is responsible for.

19. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For one second, I thought the ISI was helping out Mladic.

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    All we need now is the total collapse of FIFA...

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Glad to hear this. I hope he gets the justice that he deserves.

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    justice delayed is justice denied?

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Pakistan isn't in the middle of a big push to get into the EU.

I'm willing to bet that slimy bastard Tadic has known where Mladic was ever since he took office three years ago. I doubt it's merely coincidental that this arrest is extremely politically opportune.

Had to lol at Nikolic's carefully worded statement reacting to it - that he was 'surprised' at the arrest. Poor fool is stuck between his racist supporters and the international community.

24. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it will take the EU 16 years to approve Serbia for membership. "Sorry Serbia we can't seem to find the application at this moment."