Mizuno Thread [9] - info, pictures, questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, May 9, 2014.

1. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    So I can finally give out my verdict on the MIJ Rebula V1s - for those who are curious or interested in purchasing a pair.

Pros
    - feels more like a synthetic boot in terms of tightness and lockdown
    - toebox is low (if that’s your thing) and the whole feel of the boot is speedboot-esque
    - lacing system is nice and deep. Very snug.
    - the tongue, surprisingly, does NOT move around
    - about a 9/10 in terms of responsiveness and touch

Cons
    - the heel is too deep (if that’s not your thing) and takes long to break in. Gave me repetitive blisters on both heels.
    - for a lot of people the stud pattern is a con, but for me it’s not. I’d say about the same level as the Predator 18.1(+). Excellent on AG too.

2. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    WHAT'S THE COMING OVER THE HEEL, IS IT REBULA 3. IS IT REBULA 3?

Credits to Soccerbible for spotting it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

newone88, MRBA and derbyyank13 repped this.
  3. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    "zig-zag" lacing pattern, like morelia

same stretch-band tongue...unfortunately couldn't see the studs/soleplate

4. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    asianboy and newone88 repped this.
  5. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    yeap! wave-fit lcing system like the morelia and morelia neo2! definitely a welcome addition too. I could be reading too much, but the tongue looks a little like the tiempo flyknit one too =P

have you heard anything @derbyyank13 ? this does look interesting for sure.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  6. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nope, haven't heard anything as of yet. Will let you know if that changes!

7. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    I think the NEO is getting updated (III) as well. There are some leaked photos floating around.

jayc23, Jaxinho and derbyyank13 repped this.
  8. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Oh really? I hadn't seen anything like that!

9. vaporshockorange

Mar 7, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  10. MRBA

MRBA Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Anyone tried these on AG? And if it's the usual MII Morelia quality, I'd want to give them a try.

Interesting to see the M8 stitching in the forefoot on the white ones. It seems the black version uses the regular Morelia stitch?

11. littlepeaface

littlepeaface New Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    AA Coruripe
    how does the morelia neo 2 MIJ compare with the new adidas copa 18.1? thanks!

12. FutSavWor

FutSavWor Member

Jul 28, 2005
    NYC
    Hello

I'm currently looking to purchase a pair of Mizunos. I've been considering the Rebula V1 MIJs and the Morelia Neo 2 MIJs, but I have a sizing question:

I wear a size 10.5 Nike Hypervenom III, 10 Nike Phantom Vision, 10 Vapor XII and 9.5 Adidas X17+. They all fit perfectly lengthwise -- about 1/4 inch between the end of my toe and the very end of the boot. I like a little bit of room because it enables my foot to spread out in the toebox without slippage and usually means a bit more space in the midfoot. One thing that drives me crazy is boots that are too tight in the midfoot, especially the medial side. I have a really high foot and when I flex my foot downwards for control or striking, excessive pressure really impedes a good touch and quick reaction.

With this in mind, what size do you suggest for the Rebula and Neo? I know everyone says leather stretches, true to size, but I'm looking for a snug but not overly tight fit. True to size is probably 9.5 based on my foot measurements, but the Phantom Visions size 10 and Hypervenoms size 10.5 fit really well, whereas the 9.5 X17+'s are very tight in the midfoot despite being perfect lengthwise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

13. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    Rebula V1 JP is definitely wider than Neo 2..... can't comment on comparisons to Phantom/Hypervenom....sorry

especially Rebula V1 JP.....it'll stretch to mould to your foot shape....surprisingly, it felt kinda wide after a dozen games in it

i had a couple of training sessions on the neo 2 JP......so will take a few more games to see how it mould to my foot

FutSavWor repped this.
  14. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    that sounds really weird. I've got all 4 pairs of the boots you mentioned and its a firm US9 for all for me, with 0 difference in size.

What I'd say is, the Rebulas do take some time to stretch, but once they do it fits snug. i went true to size and it was alright. i think you can get away with going up half a size too as well though. if that's a concern.

Don't bother with the Neo 2's if thats the case. the midfoot is super narrow.

FutSavWor and derbyyank13 repped this.
  15. sscholz700

sscholz700 Member

Nov 16, 2016
    The problem is with the US size. In European size I think mizunos are bigger than the adidas or nikes

16. FutSavWor

FutSavWor Member

Jul 28, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeah, definitely weird. Out of curiosity I measured and the size 9.5 X17+ is about 1/8 inch smaller than the size 10.5 Hypervenom and size 10 Phantom Visions and Vapors. I imagine the differently shaped uppers accounts for the relative comfort, lockdown, fit...

I own Pumas and Diadoras and they also size differently... Do Mizunos usually match up with Nikes?

It's strange that a couple of you said Rebula V1 over Neo 2, because most of the reviews on Soccer.com complain about the tightness of the Rebulas, while none of the Neo 2 say anything negative at all. In fact, I was sold on the Rebula by the Unisport and SR4U reviews, until I read those customer reviews on Soccer.com. Nothing against tightness by the way -- my boots fit pretty snug, I just can't stand an overly tight midfoot that impedes movement of the foot.

I'll definitely go with the suggestions from this forum, but I wonder why there's a discrepancy... I wish I could just try on a pair!

17. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

I think its partly because the Neo 2s are sold as a 'speed' boot, so everyone expects them to be narrow.The Rebula on the other hand is a more generic control boot, which you'd expect to be more generous. Both are pretty snug though tbh.

I don't recommend the neo 2s as they are really really snug and tight. after a year of use its still not as wide fitting in the forefoot as my Rebula. The Neo 2 also has a synthetic midfoot which really prevents them from getting any less tight.

For what it's worth sizing-wise I'm a 27.0cm in all of the boots and they all fit perfectly, although the Mizuno are slightly more snug and true to size. The Nike's feel ever so slightly (we're talking in mm) longer than the Mizunos, but its nothing where i'd say go up or down half a size.

If it helps, here's my review for the Neo 2s.. (totally not a shameless plug) hahaha

temesgen, derbyyank13 and sscholz700 repped this.
  18. FutSavWor

FutSavWor Member

Jul 28, 2005
    NYC
    Your review of the Neo 2s was really helpful and the site as a whole is excellent. I love the images and will be going back for more. Mizunos aside, you almost sold me on a pair of X18.1s with the hope they'd be just a bit more forgiving on the midfoot than the X17s...

I guess I should go with my gut and get the Rebulas V1s. I can always return and try the Neo 2s, despite the hassle... That was the boot that first planted the Mizuno seed. I'm really curious about the fit. I think a 10 will be perfect if they're a couple of mms shorter than the Nikes. We'll see. I'll check in here when I get them. Thanks for all the help.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wish I could get a pair of Mizunos, but you apparently can't purchase K Leather in California .

Any ideas for workarounds?

20. kiongsm

kiongsm Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Malaysia
    FutSavWor,

welcome to the mizuno family!

bet you'll stay...:)

jayc23 repped this.
  21. john_mizuno8

john_mizuno8 Member

Olympiakos
    Greece
    Mar 16, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    not even the special black editions? they had Japanese leather

22. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    Only workaround for me is to either buy from prodirect or other international retailers or ebay. If I buy from soccerdotcom, I ship to another state (our company have offices on the east coast) and then have them ship to me in CA. It is a big hassle. What bugs me the most is that many local stores including Adidas and Nike have KL shoes for sale yet soccerdotcom refuses to change their policy.

23. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I have a couple of Mizunos: Moreila AF KR, Wavecups and Neo from Indonesia. Personally for me, I am so over the Neo, I don't really care for the barefoot feeling. I prefer cleats with good padding, so depending on conditions, I typically play with the Morelia AF KR or Wave cups. I might check out the Rebulas though.

jayc23 repped this.
  24. asianboy

asianboy Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, not a fan of the Neos, really wanted to love them but I always went back to the Wave Cups

jayc23 repped this.
  25. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Thanks for the heads up. Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Mizuno Morelia Neo 2's.

Was looking for a pair of lighter boots to replace an older pair of Mercurial Vapor IIIs and was looking for leather over synthetics. Long overdue.