Rumor: Mission Impossible: Replacing Infinito ∞ | The 2018-19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I'm not a fan of Griezmann coming to Barcelona due to several reasons. However, many people would say that Jovic is the bigger risk because it could have been a fluke season whilst Griezmann has been consistent for several years, except for this season. If they were on equal footing though, I'd go for Jovic easily based on his attributes.

As far as de Ligt goes, I would love to have him here. He could be our Ramos for the next decade. He truly has it all and at such a young age. He's much less of a risk than Jovic in that regard. De Ligt has much more experience on the highest level despite his age. The kid was 17 when he played the Europa League final against Manchester United, unreal.

I have no idea what we can or cannot afford, however, I'd go for de Ligt first as well and after that see who else we can sign.

2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

3. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham are moving strongly for Malcom it seems as part of Andre Gomes (yeah, that guy) talks. Malcom is generating a lot of interest from the Premier League, Serie A and Dortmund. I would like to see him in Barcelona for another season, but not sure he fits tactically with the way this club is going (away from wingers).

4. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really liking the vibes that Griezmann is not a done deal, and that the dressing room has pushed back on the signing.

Jpows repped this.
  5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm surprised at Umtiti. Whats the reason??

6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Mostly chronic injury concerns. When he's fit and in-form he's great. However, he has a recurring knee injury which is unusual for a player of his age (loose cartilage). This was the injury that ultimately forced Puyol to retire. Knee injuries are notorious for ruining careers. I suppose Barcelona have recognized this potential threat and might decide to cut their losses and sell now that his injury woes have not yet had a substantial impact on his value.

TitoTata, ShortyMac and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  7. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like Malcom to stay.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everybody wants 100m now after Neymar's "transfer". We are partially to blame for overpaying for Coutinho and Dembele. I think what Madrid are doing is right (not overspend) .... but the result remains to be seen.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    We are more than partially to blame. When you look at the most expensive transfers of all time, Dembele is still like top 4 or 5! SMH.

And of course Coutinho on top of that (although at least he was proven in another league).

Its sorta ok to overpay for a Neymar. I mean, he is the type of thing you buy at an auction. Like a van Gogh painting. OTOH, its not so excusable to overpay for IKEA furniture.

10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It started with the 200 million euros fee for Neymar but us paying 140m euros for a bang average player like Coutinho helped accelerate the whole thing, now mediocre players are going for £50m. It's just insane.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Crocked ? I heard they’re concerned about his ongoing injury concerns..

12. Spinp

Spinp Member

May 8, 2019
    Coutinho is world class, just because he hasn't settled in a position that is not his own doesn't make him an 'average player'.

KluivertsBoots repped this.
  13. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1813 KluivertsBoots, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Agreed. Coutinho is a fantastic enganche, and that position does not exist at Barcelona in its traditional sense and certainly not in any modified way under Valverde. It does not work as a hybrid winger unless the player is Lionel Messi. Coutinho has endured the same fate as Cesc. Square peg for round hole. Cesc played his best in the Pep 3-4-3 as a False 10 to Messi's False 9.

Coutinho was supposed to be a replacement for Iniesta (not Neymar), but Valverde does not deploy his center mids in a way that befits a more creative final third attacking talent. He favors more box to box types (todocampista). Coutinho will explode if he goes to a PSG under Tuchel, or PL club.

14. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona can still deploy "juego de posición" with the right strategy and smart signings. Everything must start with Messi. He will not have the same defensive work rate now which allowed him to lead the line under Pep, so any attacking signings must be hard working players who will lead the press.

I think this is where Barcelona has lost the plot in transfer strategy (specifically in regard to "wide" attackers/wingers). These players are of critical importance to any side that wishes to play with a high defensive line. The first line press translates into the highest percentage goal scoring opportunities. You exploit opponents who venture out with extreme prejudice, and you suffocate (asphyxiate was Pep's term) parked buses.

So, with Messi as the capstone on the board, I see his best late career position as a free roaming central maker of goals - the classic Argentine role. Therefore, I would design the team/transfer strategy around the traditional 4-3-1-2, 4-3-3 (Messi false 9), 4-2-3-1, 3-4-3 (diamond), 2-3-2-1-2, 3-3-1-3 shapes - all with Messi as the central figure and with hardworking players in front of and behind him. The emphasis in the attack would be speed, movement and trickery so that space is constantly being created somehow. This gets back to classic Dutch philosophy. Liverpool are perfecting this right now with Firmino-Mane-Salah. Barcelona had been the reference previously. I would go to more of a Neeskins/Davids/Gilberto Silva type of defensive midfielder to help in playing a high line and in dropping in with the central defenders during recycle/initial control phases. You can get away with a more creative player like prime Busquets if they are that good in control.

As things stand currently in the attack, Suarez is past prime in terms of his ability to really press the line and create space. You have no left forward, and right forward must be replaced all together. Malcom is not quite the right type of player for this role (he could be with the right seasoning, however, has the mentality), and Dembele does not have the workrate/mentality lead a press. He would be insurance/eventual "replacement" for Messi centrally as he needs harder working players around him to really thrive. We go back to the drawing board for the three most forward positions (ideally more goal-oriented players) as the attack would play out as 2 players ahead of Messi most of the time either coming in from wide or driving both center backs nuts.

I will never have the honor, but if I were molding technical strategy this would be it.

afar repped this.
  15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's not world class and never has been imho, but each to their own.

16. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Welcome Reis!

I wonder what this means to Oriol Busquets?

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Just need the Ajax manager plus De Ligt and we’re good to go ... oh and a striker to drop Suarez .. oh and get the midfield deadwood out

19. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool customer, and decent shot to boot. I like him.

20. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yup, just need "the Ajax manager". That guy. The one who manages Ajax. What's his name. The one who will bring beautiful play and instant success. The manager every club wants. Ol' what's-his-face. Just need him and everything is all set. Can't wait 'til that guy arrives.

21. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2018 World Cup disagrees. He proved his quality on that stage for all to see.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Nice to see you are on-board :)

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Presumably you never got to see Coutinho in his Liverpool days ..

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Of course l am. Why wouldn’t I want some guy whose name you and I don’t know coaching Barca. Need to keep that recent tradition of bottling three goal leads going but need to look good doing it next time.
    Because style matters, not results.
    I guess.

25. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The old "change everything, and everything will be good" trick.

unclesox repped this.