Rumor: Mission Impossible: Replacing Infinito ∞ | The 2018-19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I kind of disagree with this take in general. If a player does well somewhere else but not here, it could be that he's not a good fit so let him go or it could be that he had a temporary loss of form (like because of an injury...) and we never gave him an opportunity to regain it or that he simply wasn't used properly in the first place.

Agree with what you said about Gomes. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over him leaving. He wasn't the type of player for our system and not that good to begin with. He wouldn't start over Iniesta, Rakitic, or Busquets on any team in an system. However, if a guy like Coutinho is dismissed as not fitting in well, I'm concerned because he was a fantastic fit for Liverpool and for the Brazil national team. And the reason we paid all that $$ for him is that he is supposed to be good here. I remember when he played the first couple of games, we were all overjoyed at how seemlessly he fits in here. For him to be alienated and possibly sold pisses me off. He fits here, he's now healthy, and he is a hell of a player who can help us win games. It is Valverde's responsibility to find a way to get the best of him... and yes Dembele as well while still keeping our defensive integrity. That's why he's paid the big bucks. As good as Dembele has been, I would lean towards benching him and playing Countinho in the CL because he is more experienced.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Willian rumors re-surfacing. Ugh! Turns 31 this year. Has maybe 18 “good” months left of continuing to score once every 10 games :rolleyes:

3. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Makes no sense what so ever, a player who would add next to nothing to our team and in reality would end up playing very little

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Scored again today :)
    Winning goal and another fabulous strike

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's true in general even though even that doesn't matter, there's no point of playing player that doesn't fit. But Gomes wasn't one of these "didn't fit" players. If player constantly plays obvious passes to opponents, hits crosses to the stands, and misses easy chances, either he's not good enough individually, or there's something else and player is "rejuvenated" in the next team.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gomes is the type of player who probably can’t handle the pressure of playing on a top team. Plus , I doubt he is playing lights out now . But I am not gonna bother to watch him to find out .

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeo, he scored winning goal against a team 3rd from bottom, got to be worth at least £50 million.

BocaFan repped this.
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well he's certainly, in my opinion, a better fit than Kane for us and about £100 to £150 million cheaper .. put that to the two Ajax lads .

To be honest I'd rather take his teammate Son ahead of Kane and if anyone here disses Son then I'll know you've not been watching Spurs this last two years .. he's the likely the most improved player in the EPL this season

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Kane? Is he being linked to Barca? Not interested.

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Either that, or he's a saboteur. :sneaky:

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Gomes is a revelation for Everton .. he's having another great game as we speak albeit against Bournemouth.

There just seems more space and time for him for Everton .. maybe the way they play just suits him better .

He's spraying 40 yard passes , cute though balls , winning challenges .... all the things Rakitic was doing 3 years ago :)

He's a different player to the one we saw for Barca ( maybe the Valverde factor )

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Oh and Digne has been the best left back in the EPL this season... just saying .

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Players not shining for Barca do well elsewhere?

It's expected. Not everyone can shine at Barca, there's only so many minutes to be shared. Not to mention for this guy who shines, there is that guy who doesn't shine. Reality is we need depth, and that means guys sitting on the bench a lot, and guys who sit a lot are unlikely to kill it on the pitch (although any coach could do better to keep subs confident and sharp). Another thing is, when it comes top-top clubs, that pressure to deliver is higher in Barcelona/RM/other than it is when you take a step down. It's not only tactics the many Barca players talk about when they go on how it is difficult to play for Barcelona.

Gilmango repped this.
  14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

#1139 Forzabarca, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
    Time to try to and sell him asap before some moron thinks he can shine in Barca and end up loaning him out again later after he Shitmeses all over the place. SELL SELL SELL!

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Perhaps the EPL is just not that good ...

Bada Bing, evil_allan, Gilmango and 2 others repped this.
  16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'd rather watch La Liga games for sure .. Liverpool are a great watch when they're 'at it' ..

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Andy Robertson, just saying.

Serengeti_Boy and Sarcasm Bot repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Exactly! If he was tearing up another top league and CL after leaving that would be one thing (like Sneijder after leaving LPB). But getting minutes and looking good for Everton? Yawn

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yep I'll give you that :)

20. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, he has been impressive. Tough to say why. Maybe because isn't coached by Valverde. Or doesn't have to link his passes to Rakitic when they build. And of course he benefits from low standards set up by fullbacks today, such as S. Roberto. Good season, could win a title. :cool:

21. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man City,Liverpool,Spuds and Arsenal(at their best) are the only watchable teams in EPL. I enjoy EPL football, but the hype is bonkers.

TitoTata repped this.
  22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A Madridista?!

No, No. just No!
    If any player were to "sabotage" Barca it would be a Madridista, not someone like Gomes.
    We may as well go ahead and bring in Zidane as well, then.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don’t know ... he should be sour enough that he may want to fuk them up. Imagine Morata doing the “law of the ex” in a Clasico :D

The one that’s still riding the Madridista dick is Jesé ... the eternal next Balon d’Or

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately they aren't "at it" so much lately. Did you see their last match? :speechless: Tough to watch.
    Luckily Barca played great football the next day which helped me forget the 90 minutes of my life I wasted watching Brighton v Liverpool.