Rumor: Mission Impossible: Replacing Infinito ∞ | The 2018-19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveOn

LiveOn New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    He won't go to prison. He'll get a fine depending on how involved he was.

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Jose still worries you?

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only answer for myself, and you are right, Jose doesn't worry me in terms of worrying that he is a good coach or man manager. He's basically showed himself to be an egotistical tool, who, while he used to get good results in his first year or two (but burnt out players/burnt bridges by year 3), now struggles to get good results even in year 1 or 2.

All that said, I hate the idea of Jose back at Real, due to the extreme negativity and physicality he brought the last time he was here. I don't want "hyenas II" the movie, not good for my club, not good for La Liga.

unclesox repped this.
  4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Ominous for Valverde ??

Quique Setién wins supporters at Camp Nou.

• The technician dazzled with his approach and exhibition at the front of Betis.

• Players like Busquets and some directors praised the philosophy of the Betis trainer.

[SPORT via @BarcaTimes]

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pep Segura, while saying Neymar is not a transfer target, has opened the door for his return.

The one thing that would be good about Neymar coming back is the egg on Madrid's face. However, seeing him playing vs Uruguay convinces me even more that I'd rather him not return. He'd have to go back to his old role and I still don't see that happening.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Neymar on the left , Firmino through the middle and Messi from the right ..... dreamland

Oh and Kante or Pogba in place of Rakitic

7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Firmino is an interesting choice. i like the work that he does to support Salah and Mane, but he's got 2 goals + 2 assists in 12 games this season. if a Barca center-forward put in those kind of numbers, the pitchforks would be out and people would be calling him Crapmino, or something stupid like that.

unclesox repped this.
  8. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    To me, Firmino doesn't score enough to be the successor of Suarez. Good player, though. I think Icardi should be considered seriously.

condor11 repped this.
  9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    combine Icardi's goal-scoring threat plus Firmino's buildup and pressing and you'd have the ideal Suarez replacement. Icardi is a great finisher, but doesn't seem to do much else. he's also a bit of a jerk.
    i don't really see any obvious standout candidates, so it'll be very interesting to see what Barca ends up doing to replace Suarez.

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Firmino is a special player ... His stats are down on last season's but that's just a reflection of the whole team who are generally underperforming apart from the back 4 and Wijnaldum in midfield but apparently he's the first name on Klopps teamsheet as the he's kinds the playmaker in the way he links everything together ..

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You might want to consider that Firmino looks good in Klopp's tactical system and might not fit Barca. I can tell you Firminho has been nothing special playing for Brazil in a team that has more possession trying to break down defenses.

condor11 repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well we aren't playing the beautiful Barca way these days are we ..

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, I agree Firmino contributes in many ways other than scoring, and that Icardi has a little reputation. To be honest/obvious, the decision which ST to go for needs analysis beyond my out-of-hat mention of Icardi, I was just basically saying that whoever we go for, it's ST, and he needs to score a lot. Firmino doesn't do that.

I don't see obvious standout candidates either.

14. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When you look at his career stats, and him being 27 already, and Liverpool not being a poor team, to me it's hard to think of anything else: good, but not special in any way.

I can see it working for us - not every piece of a great team needs to shine on his own, and goal stats are indeed not everything - but I'd try to find something better.

How I guess it will go is that Suarez will be our ST the next season, and we spend most of our money elsewhere: maybe CB, maybe CM, maybe RB, and I see Dembele going out, meaning the attacker we sign this summer might not be a pure ST. Lots of questions, and I'm sure we get some decisions wrong, some right, just hoping the decisions are made with a clear vision in mind.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So now you're OK getting players that may not fit the "Barca way" ?

condor11 and unclesox repped this.
  16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Great players can adapt ... I don't rate Rakitic as a great player . Just an opinion

17. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am not understanding the lack of attention directed towards the January transfer window. I realize Barcelona will not likely be able to attract any 'big name' player from a 'big team' as that team will likely be in contention for a major trophy or some sort and not willing to part with the players that may help guide them to that hard ware.. but Barcelona has a pressing need in the moment.. and if they have the ambition to win the liga and/or CL.. waiting untill the summer is not something they can not afford to do.

18. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    so who would you bring in?
    you're a benfica fan, can we have Grimaldo back?

unclesox repped this.
  19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some big names being thrown about here.
    Big names cost big money. So the issue as I see it is not so much whether Barca are willing to bring in all those players but how much are they able and willing to spend and for which players.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Thing is , the board know we have to spend big to be competitive on the world stage ... we are already playing catchup with the true top teams /squads .

I'm reckon our certain starters like Rakitic and Roberto would only be squad players at Man City and Liverpool..

21. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Speaking of Benfica, a certain Ruben Dias would be very beneficial for Barcelona, however, the problem remains that Benfica is looking to win the league title, and would not release Dias mid-season.

Your right, it is a difficult thing to do; that being playing manager and looking for replacements mid-season.

It wasnt a knock on Barca fans, but the lack of discussion revolving around the January transfer window is simply surprising to me, thats all.

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Perhaps, but City's dealings have been a bit dodgy according to those news leaks out of Germany.

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We have continuously spent big almost every summer for a while now.

If you don't count Barca among the "true top teams"...

You can pick a player or two from any top club and say they wouldn't start at club X. No team operates at a level where all of their starters could walk and start for a key rival: the best players don't play at one club.

condor11 repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    How many Barca players would get into Man City or Liverpool ?

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    MATS, Alba, Pique, Umtiti, Busquets, Arthur, Messi, Suarez, Vidal, Coutinho.

condor11 repped this.