Minnesota

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Dr. Dogfish, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't really have a local derby - Orlando is hardly The South. I think SKC is the closest team to us, geographically - which is weird.

For better or worse, we'll be compared to the Loons all season as two different ways to build a brand new MLS team.

Whatever else happens this season, i want to beat the Loons like a drum every time we face them. I'm calling them out. They have a target on their chests - literally.

2. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh I kinda prefer Orlando to be our rivals. Just because we came into the league at the same time doesn't mean too much to me. I like the Loons personally, but I could be alone on this island.

GaSouthern repped this.
  3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando is pseudo-South. It's a parallel world that I can't begin to understand: full of plastic and tourists and an anthropomorphic mouse god.

I like the two different ways Minnesota and Atlanta have gone about entering the league. They provide different solutions, and they invite comparison.

I intend to hate Minnesota forever and ever. It's a healthy thing that will help me live forever.

4. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I get the sense that the league is trying to push an Atlanta-Orlando rivalry but, like Dogfish, I couldn't care less about Orlando. They aren't the South, the city is boring, and it's nothing but tourists. Minnesota is a natural comparison for us but I also don't care too much about them.

In general, our fans are trying to force too many things. We have a whole thread about a nickname for our club and now we're discussing who our rival will be. These things happen naturally on the field and over the course of time. Just let it all play out.

5. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not forcing anything - it's logical. It was this way for NYCFC and Orlando when they both came in. Their own, realy derbies will develope organically, but this will be fascinating and I'll always begrudge ANY success Minnesota achieves if it come ahead of ATL success.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a) Minnesota is a tough one for me because while I should loathe it as the birthplace of my ex it actually is a pretty cool city. They're good sports fans up there, dontcha know.

b) Everyone Atlanta plays is the enemy, therefore I will root against them with the greatest of enmity and vitriol! More over, I'll root FOR Atlanta regardless.

c) I have no vested interest in seeing a "rivalry" forced on us with Orlando or any other city. Looking at the landscape the only thing I could foresee in that regard is Charlotte, New Orleans, or possibly Nashville. We could try to work one with DC, as I think they're closer than SKC, you've got that whole "United" thing, and now Mercedes vs. Audi! But, yeah, that's just something cheaply trumped up.

d) I would LOVE to see a rivalry born organically based out of routinely competing for trophies, like maybe regularly playing TFC for the Eastern Conference crown or something. That would be cool.

7. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A true rivalry takes place when there's real friction on the pitch and then the memory of that carries over from that season forwards.

However, when it comes down to which of the two new MLS teams fare better throughout the season, when the inevitable pundit comparisons are made, it needs to be ATL on top.

Plus, those shirts! Shocking! Like pajamas.

8. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the Newcastle crests available, throughout their long history, why did you choose their least inspiring for your avatar? C'mon, man.

9. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?! I love this crest, I like the art-deco kind of style on this crest. I'm not a big seahorse guy, so most of the others aren't that cool to me.

Anyways, it's gonna be hard for me to hate on any MLS team honestly except for teams that refuse to play youngsters and/or any team that plays a bunch of oldies. Aka I hate San Jose. Also, prior to AUFC coming along, I was just a fan of the league, so I never really disliked any team.

Now I have seen/heard some bad things about Orlando supporters, and that makes me not like them too much. Not to say every MLS team doesn't have some bad apples, but OCSC and NYCFC have quite a lot of bad apples seemingly.

10. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not a . . . seahorse guy? I'm at a loss for words.

I only hate TFC for taking one of the expansion bids to a foreign country back in the day when I wanted it here. I'll never forgive them.

I'm inclined to hate them anyway

11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalries come naturally.

lemons repped this.
  12. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way!

13. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true. Honestly.

14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord! Alert the presses immediately!

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  15. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now YOU'RE my rival. Prepare to act accordingly

16. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make certain it's not fake news sites.

Regardless of counting Orlando as the South or not (I don't), it's probably the most natural team where the fans will hate each other. My guess is that during any games between the teams, there will be a decent presence of away fans and that always creates animosity that will develop into a rivalry.

Minnesota certainly will be a team in which will always be in comparison with Atlanta but it's not really going to be a hated rivalry.

17. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate them and it's enough. Now I hate you too. You'll never be free of me - prepare to up your Zoloft prescription.

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  18. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This.

19. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that with such certainty!

20. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Haha. It's a message board. Isn't the point to state opinions as if they are facts? :D

21. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, you're right. I have a PhD in posting messages on messageboards. I'm widely quoted on forums from CIA collusion in the 9/11 Conspiracy, to forums espousing the views that most of the Popes from the 17th century forwards are extra-terrestrial overlords.

22. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You have quite the pedigree. Consider me impressed.

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, I think the team with whom we have the biggest beef is DC......with their "we own 'United'" b.s. I want us to beat every team we face but, I especially want to beat them for being children about a word they ripped of from, probably, a dozen English clubs.

There was a bit of bad blood there toward the end of the Seattle match also. Maybe something develops out of that.

We'll have rivalries by the end of the season. Bad blood will develop.

24. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I have personal rivalries with TFC, Minnesota, Lemons, and Hamburgler03. I'm adding them up.

25. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Donny and Tactical Hipster repped this.