"Milestones"

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Pints, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    My daughter finally crawled this morning. We got to Momoms' house and I set her down and WHAM! She took off on all fours for the pile of toys.
    It really freaked me out.

Your Opinions:
    Do I wait and see if she does it again tonight at home and act surprised so my wife doesn't feel "left out".

Or do I call her and "fess up" and tell her that her daughter crawled for the first time and she wasn't there to see it?

This IS a big deal. As we have been patiently waiting for her to do it for the past 4 weeks as she has gotten so close recently.

Oh Sachin, our daughters would get along just fine. They'd fart and smile the day away. of course we'd need to air out the house.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd fess up. you're each gonna mess certain milestones. that's what I'd do, but you know better how your wife is gonna react.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    We'll have to get our daughters together someday. Of course, we'll have to drink beer to pass the time. :)

They'll probably end up gossiping about Rev and Lowe's sons anyway.

Sachin

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Too true!:D :D

5. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Nephew has always jumped and climbed. But yesterday was speical; the record jump is his height maybe tad more. We have cascade brick walls lining driveway. With each height tallest at stairwell shortest toward end. He was one level from tallest point (short chest level on average humans I can still stand and put one foot up and step up though) and jumped down 2 months ago. He landed on driveway with feet and braced himself with hands.
    Well Yesterday establish another enotselim. He took the rope on porch and threw it over rail. Then went down there and clip sprinkle bucket to the clasp. He only did the edge of plastic but it is sturdy somewhat. Anyhow his Dad toyed with him and pulled it up as he went down. He got so mad because he was tired. He would shout like "Ah! man." and "Leave it." Whiney then when he got it. Dad pulled up out of reach. He would throw hands up and dance back n' forth from a short swing of bucket. He would shout "I said leave it." Once he got a grasp. So anyways; Dad tied the rope around handle and lowered it. He then grabed it and was like pull me up. Nobody was down there. I was like. No! Hang on and don't let go. So he got is first swing 2/3 feet off ground. Pretty cool and he didn't fall or attempt anything risky. Not bad for a child almost 3 years of age...

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My teenager worked on a GOP campaign this fall; placing signs on roads during recent election, making campaign calls to voters, and helping local Republican candidate... bless his heart... makes me so proud!

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Potential thread killer that, ITN!

Anyway my 11 month old son started walking two weeks ago, he's wobbly of course but he can pretty much get across the living room holding on to furniture. His vocabulary has increased two thre grown-up words so far. His first one was klok (Dutch for clock) which may seem surprising but isn't as he's completely obsessed with my mum's Frysian pendulum clock which he luckily can't get his hands on just yet. His second word was nee (Dutch for No). Whenever I tell him no, he repeats it and shakes his head, the cheeky little thing, as if he's completely taking the mick out of me already. His third one was dada, making his (English) dad very proud, of course.

So his dad's dada and his mum's No. Can we already see a pattern there?

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the twins (21-months) reached the age I've been dreading for a long time: he reached up and turned a doorknob to open a door. He's been trying for a long time but finally grew that extra little height to be able to do it. Now nothing is sacred in my house.

Did I mention this is the boy who loves to splash in toilets?

He also started saying his twin brother's name recently. It comes out as "Blahlala" instead of "Elijah" but it's pretty clear what he's saying when you actually hear him say it.

The twins brother (Blahlala) loves to reach the lower closet rod in their room, put his feet up in the air and then walk up the wall until he's upside down. So yes, my twins climb the walls, literally. Good times here at my house.

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Oh boy.....And I am terrified mine can crawl.:D

*curled up in corner shaking in fear*

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter pulls herself up onto end tables and stands on her plastic tricycle seat. She is nuts.

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The twins like to get up on their feeding seats (the kind you can attach onto a normal chair with little straps) and then stand on the arm rests while reaching for the counter, etc.

They also like to open the dishwasher and take out the steak knives.

They also like to draw with crayons all over the walls, books, hardwood floors, computer monitor (currently trying to see through some blue crayon here...), and anything else they can get their hands on.

They also like to grab onto the edge of the flimsy little table we have our television, DVD player and cable box precariously stacked onto of. I would have thought they'd have pulled that over by now, but strangly... not.

And Thomas likes to unzip his pajamas and then reach down to unsnap his onesie and then undo the velcro on his diaper...

We just put up our Christmas tree last week. I don't think I need to elaborate on the joys associated with that.

And in the time it took me to type this post, the kids emptied an entire bookshelf of college textbooks and novels.

I'm suddenly realizing why I feel burned out and lifeless by about 2:00 p.m. everyday. Did I mention the steak knives? And the toilets??

12. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am dreading that day. We haven't put it up yet b.c of our daughter, our cat, and our two dogs [one puppie].

We're going to have an ugly Christmas tree with no ornaments lower than 5 feet... :eek:

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I have nothing but respect for any parent of twins. I barely have enough energy to chase after one all day!

Do you also have a family dog? We have an Irish setter who follows our little boy around all day, they're like partners in crime. I once found the two of them sat in front of our fridge covered in yoghurt. I'm also amazed at how quickly they can get into trouble. You literally only have to lose sight of them for one minute.

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry I can't get Monty Phythons Holy Grail out of my mind.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think it is and I'm glad to see that it hasn't. With the exception of What a Goal! (who was red carded, by the way ... SWEET) this has been a very friendly forum. I have to say I've been delighted at how it's turned out.

Besides, I worked for a Republican when I was younger (in DC, no less). Ain't nothing wrong with it.

:)

16. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I purposefully kept my politically-charged thoughts to myself... No reason to go killing a good thread. :)

And no, no dog. Just three crazy boys and a burned out mom. (And a dad who comes home from work, goes to school and then does homework until wee hours and is gone the next morning before we wake up.)

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Awesome, I have exactly the same headcount. 1 daughter, 1 cat, and 2 dogs.

Wow! Did he ever luck out!:D

18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn right. I make sure he knows it, too. :D

19. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My six year old said "fuck" yesterday. Skipped damn, shit, cock, piss, bitch, and ********** and went straight to fuck.

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Last night while perfecting the art of pulling herself up onto every piece of furniture in the house, she stepped back from the coffee table and was standing on her own and looked at me as if I was supposed to do something about this new development. Well I did, I laughed when she fell backwards landed on her butt, looked around and started to giggle at her new found "talent"

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my daughter dented her first fender,,,unfortunately it we her car that got the dent,,,,,,does that count as a milestone?

22. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Driving is a huge milestone and one not to be taken lightly. The kids get some freedom and a degree of recognition. But they have, as a parent, unimaginable dangers. Seems most posters here have young kids, more concerned with first words and toilet training. But mine are 15 and 18. My older daughter went to three funerals of high school classmates killed in car crashes, all due to speeding.

My younger son is getting his license on his birthday, but many of his peers are skipping this milestone. Is this a trend?

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    While giving my daughter a bath, she sat up, listed to one side and bumped her head against the side of the bathtub. No real injury because I caught her just as she made contact. She was happy again 3 minutes later, but those were a long three minutes!

24. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Those moments suck. Luckily their skulls are pretty good at obsorbing the bangs because mine has started to make a daily habit of hitting hers. :rolleyes:

She started climbing stairs now too, everyday she wants to climb them so I spend what seems an eternity walking up the steps behind her. She thinks it is the coolest thing to get to the top of the stairs see her room and dart off into it. I'm proud. Scared to death, but proud.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have 3 daughters, 20,18 and 16, the two in HS have a few friends that say they do not want their license until they graduate. Most say because they have enough friends to drive them around or because their parents will make them pay for insurance.