Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think that Rover is 100% right as far as cost. Mix for 100k would be in great demand. Mix for 3/4 mill is a different story, esp given MLS salary and ownership structure.

He's clearly "good enough" but it's impossible to say he looked like he was a "gotta play" guy either.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol...if anyone thinks that salary matches performance/ability in MLS they arent paying attention.

salary discrepancies from player to player in mls are incoherent and illogical.

i could list many players at both ends of the spectrum in MLS (underpaid and overpaid) whose salaries are not in line with their performance. (in fact, finding players who are paid what they "should be paid" on the world market is hard in mls.)

but the example that most comes to mind for me is stevan gerrard and even pirlo too...what are these players making? 6 -7 million?? in MLS thats astronomical and the only way those salaries could fit into mls payscale is if said players scored like 100 goals per season. i get it, though. they are here for marketing, jerseys, attention etc....

but where i lose the plot is that if those players can be paid for off-the-field contributions...then why is a player like Mix.....(who has 38 caps for the USMNT and at one point featured in like 16 straight games without a loss for the usmnt or something like that)....chastised for his salary in relation to his success on the field...whereas the name players...who make like 10 times more than he does and perform similarly to mix given free passes and rarely criticized??

i get it...he isnt really a real american. same reason Jermaine gets like 1/10 of bradley pay in MLS despite jj arguably having a better usmnt/mls career.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, generally if you're paid for marketing, you got to help marketing. It's not that hard to get some basic metrics on what kind of marketing bump a player is giving you (shirt sales, how many peeps show up at appearances, media mentions etc.) I doubt Mix moved the needle enough to warrant paying the salary once the on-field contribution was not what NY seemed to have hoped. Some players keep selling "goodwill" even when they're not playing all the time. Doubt Mix was one.

deuteronomy and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And the two things I keep coming back to in my mind are 1) he didn't do much at Ghent and 2) Viera made it completely clear that he didn't see any role for him whatsoever.

The second is far more significant. In Belgium he was a kid trying to break into a settled lineup for the playoffs. In MLS, he's a 25 year-old who simply isn't rated by Viera. That suggests that his game/attitude has some very significant gaps at elite level.

deuteronomy repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm pretty reluctant to read too much into the Viera/NYC sojourn. I think it's clear that Mix' valuation and, uh, "exuberance" both promised a lot and it was going to be difficult to feed the hype right out of the gate.

But it is also hard to see him as significantly less talented than some of the other players on the USMNT fringes. He had some very decent contributions in a number of US games.

Unfortunately for Mix, he probably derailed his USMNT while trying to hold onto "big profile" soccer status. Taking the gamble is understandable - the upside of "sports personality" marketing is much higher (financially) than the upside of "solid sports pro contributing yeoman player." But sometimes those gambles don't pay off.

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Hard to agree the gamble did not pay off, he got paid 15k a week for the terms of the NYRB contract. That is around a fair price for his skills on the world market, MLS considers it exorbitant I am sure, but it really isn't. IF he is smart that is a pretty good start to life after soccer and should provide some capital for any real estate/ taco hell franchisee ventures he dabbles in later.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I do think, though, had he been more... uh, strategic, in his dealings he might have leveraged more "starpower" in MLS. But I'm just a Sunday-morning arm-chair franchise-builder, so who the heck knows.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But how old was each player when they signed their respective deals in the league?

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Gamera and Winoman repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For buying into a private equity firm or hedge fund you mean. His father is a very wealthy and somewhat controversial businessman in Norway.

Mix plays football for pleasure, not because it beats working the nightshift at Taco Bell/McDonalds, etc.

11. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Mix's Goteborg travels to Orebro to take on Brendan Hines-Ike in the northern-most battle between Americans.

12. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #7537 Kombucha, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    There are plenty of overpaid players in MLS, but overpaid players typically have short stints in the league. Mix is no different. Mix could play in the league and do well for the right club, but isn't worth $750,000 a year.

It is a business. Same with Poku. MLS caliber player, but not going to have many opportunities at over $300K, which is what he makes in Miami. I would expect players like Chris McCann on Atlanta who makes over $500K to also have a similar short self-life in MLS to Mix. Not because he can't play in the league. He can, but not for a TAM deal.

deuteronomy, The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

Gets an assist (likely):

And then scores:

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Mix would like to stay at Goteberg - looks to extend loan http://www.fotbolltransfers.com/site/news/82057

Translation:

"Mix Diskerud's loan agreement with IFK Göteborg expires soon. However, the 26-year-old stays happy.

IFK Göteborg has a loan agreement with New York City regarding Mix Diskerud until August 27th.

The midfielder again declares that he gladly stays in Blåvitt.

- Yes, I've said I'd love to stay. I like the guys and the club, "said Diskerud to the football channel.

Diskerud, however, does not know what is required for an extension.

- I do not really know. I have one and a half years left on the contract over there, so it's probably the most up to date with a loan again, but we'll see. My people are talking to the club here and then on with the club over there. There are three parties, hopefully, it will be resolved, he says to the football channel."

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Swedish season ends in early November, so he can't play for NYCFC until March anyway. Since they've made it clear that they don't see him having a role there, to the extent of picking up 75%+ of his wages at IFK, they don't have much leverage unless an Autumn-Winter-Spring European club makes an offer in January.

Look for an announcement around mid-November-to-early-December that a settlement (= 6 month's pay) has been agreed between Mix and NYCFC and that he's a free agent once the window opens.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This loan suits him down to the ground. Guy should do whatever it takes to make sure he can continue on here.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  21. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    2-1 to IFK. If match reports are to be believed, our man Mix had a really good game where he bossed the midfield. We've seen him do it in a US shirt too. I'd be curious to see what an in-form Mix does in an Arena system. But with some of these young cats coming up, it's an uphill battle.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe he bossed the midfield, but you'd expect him to. He's a US international with 36 caps playing in a league that's no better than MLS these days, even in its top half, and probably worse in its bottom half.

Bruce has players who are playing at a higher level than Mix to chose from and has little time to experiment until qualification for Russia is secured. Unless Mix moves to the likes of a strong Dutch or Belgian side, I can't see any reason to call him up again if that means leaving guys like Danny Williams, Sasha Kljestan or Lynden Gooch behind.

When he came on the scene, he was regarded as having great potential, but he turns 27 in six weeks time and he still hasn't proved himself outside of Scandinavia. Not on a consistent basis.

mike4066 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Still a shame that JK didn't play him in 1 of the WC matches. Surely against Germany or Belgium.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA