Mike Petke: stay or go?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Aug 1, 2019.

?

Do you believe that Mike Petke should CONTINUE as head coach of Real Salt Lake?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. NO

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. IT'S COMPLICATED

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not integral, but he scored some absolutely massive goals for the club that year

Paleworm, Ismitje and El-ahrairah repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me the continued berating was one level. He took it to a whole other level with (a) lying about it and (b) showing absolutely no remorse about it.

RSLer, russ, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, now I understand.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this. While Kreis was a gamble, it wasn't one that 'just paid off'. The team was playing increasingly better under Kreis (the goals allowed dropped steadily, the percentage of lost matches dropped steadily) and had a clear identity through uniquely (at the time) playing the diamond with a strong possession orientation with tenacious defense. The 'fortress' period of RioT started long before the club began its run to land in the playoffs and then run through the playoffs to the Cup. I know, because I was tracking for evidence of improvement and those things were obvious. The team began to win when it added consistent goal scoring to the other factors.

RSLer and pcny repped this.
  5. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Atlantic is reporting on Petke firing and the background is why we have not heard Petke apology. Since I was chastised for posting the text last time I'll give a synopsis.

RSL offered Petke a buyout in the low six figure if he would resign on his Monday back. He would apologize and resign
    Jake said last week on the podcast I believe.

RSL believed this was what was going to happen until Sunday night when Petke informed the club he will not resign. RSL then fired him with cause. RSL believes its moral contract allows them to not have to buyout the rest of Petke contract. In other words no severance. I kind of interpreted Petke does not believe this and that he would get more if contest the firing with moral cause.

So part of the past 2 weeks was the negotiation of the exit that collapsed at the last hours.

I still see posts about the meaning of the word. Laungage changes. Gay use to not mean what it does now in the english language. I also get historically the spanish word was/is a catch all swear word. Pehaps kind of how I can use MF as a adjective, verbs, adverb, and noun swear word with multiple meanings. The problem is the Spanish word ALSO is used as a homophobic slur. Because it is ALSO used it is tainted and hard to reclaim back.

I recall when facist and racist chants happen seria a in the past, (side note WTF is facist coming back even in the USA), teams had to play matches in empty stadiums. MLS, LigaMx, FIFA, Concacaf may need to do this to rid of the P word

rslfanboy, 15 to 32, BalanceUT and 5 others repped this.
  6. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Thanks--good color. FWIW--I just subscribed to The Athletic. I have been impressed with some of their stories on both Jazz and RSL.

sitruc and Ismitje repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic has been well worth my money for sure. For college football too.

pcny and sitruc repped this.
  8. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The athletic writer, Sam Stejskal is a former RSL employee. He has contacts to feed him info off the record

russ repped this.
  9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That doesn't seem super rational from Petke. A contract dispute will probably be expensive, and he's going to have an uphill climb to demonstrate that his actions didn't constitute a breach.

I guess Petke acting rashly shouldn't be a surprise. He didn't hand deliver any insulting notes to Del Loy, I hope.

rslfanboy and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also reported sponsors Ford and Zionsbank told RSL if he was not fired they would reevaluate partnership with RSL

rslfanboy, russ, 15 to 32 and 5 others repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post!!

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money talks.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #163 kirsoccer, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Question: Is there an example of another coach firing similar to this in MLS? Can't remember one off the top of my head. Aside from the Peter Nowak firing, I can't remember another quite this ... unsettling.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I can remember, but I can't remember any other coach doing what Petke did so you could say that this is an unprecedented situation.

russ repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what attorney is going to take thi... wait, I work with attorneys. I'm sure Petke had 4 phone calls this morning already

russ and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on, just how much was Petke being paid? He was offered a low six figure buyout (lets call it like 100K to be safe) and he turns his nose at it to fight for the rest of his contract? How much is he making a year to turn that down?

BalanceUT repped this.
  17. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    The article from Matt Montegomery on RSLSoapbox said a "conservative estimate" of his unpaid salary during his suspension was 20-25k which would put him making over 500k. That seems exorbitanly high.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think rarity on such a firing is to be expected.

19. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [emoji44]

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but hey, lets keep this "DLH is cheap" narrative going

jessyca, russ, Todorojo and 3 others repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I don't understand this narrative. I think we're the 3rd highest paid team in the west and I can't think of a single player on our roster (outside the league minimum) who isn't overpaid. Maybe Everton and Onouha?

23. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple interesting notes:

1. He agreed not to speak publicly until after the suspension, per the team's request. That would explain why we heard nothing earlier from him.
    2. This is worded SO CAREFULLY. 100% chance this was reviewed, revised, reviewed again by legal counsel.
    3. He uses present tense saying he "hopes" to continue coaching RSL. Is that true? Or just part of the legal defense for wrongful termination?

Allez RSL repped this.
  24. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the RSL FO went through their Javi notes while planning out how to handle this. What a mess.

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused. Why would he need a written agreement to stay on as coach is he is the current coach? Unless he was going to be canned anyway and the written ageement was that if he served a suspension, he would still be able to coach after the suspension.

rslfanboy, Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.