Midway

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Area 51, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

A absolutely amazing historical battle, a turning point full of drama and luck, and sheer audacity....the capability of making it a memorable movie to do justice to not only history but those who died.

And we get this.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Clint Eastwood should have directed this movie, its a fantastic cast with a wonderful story steeped in history that writes itself.

Add in the drama of the Americans retrofitting Yorktown in 2/3 days after the Japanese thought they sunk it in the Coral Sea to add to Enterprise and Hornet, and go after a vastly superior Japanese fleet...losing wave after wave of aircraft to Japanese air patrol and AA..leading to the Japanese realizing there's more than one carrier out there and having them replace bombs with torpedoes on their flight deck. Fuel included due to their fighter umbrella being on fumes after ripping through wave after wave of American aircraft...only for a small handful of bombers finding them at that EXACT moment on their leaders intuition after passing their own fuel burn point...one in a million. Those points need to be HAMMERED home. The luck involved with the Japanese patrol plane finding the American fleet after being launched 30 minutes late, the Yorktown being sunk but then the Hiryu being obliterated because Nimitz wanted that 4th carrier.

HerthaBerwyn and ctsoccer13 repped this.
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't say that preview looked great, but it doesn't necessarily mean the movie is bad. The video-gamey aircraft were from the Pearl Harbor scene, which is hopefully a small part of the movie.

sitruc repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will rewatch the version with Charlton Heston and company instead (which I do every year or two no matter what).

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Pearl Harbor, it turns out that 2001's Pearl Harbor had one of the better original teaser trailers (regardless of what one later thought of the movie itself), albeit using the musical score from 1998's The Thin Red Line rather than its own. :)

-G

5. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit of a WWII movie buff. Haven't watched them in a bit as the kids schedule took over. Now it's easier. I'm hoping this captures at least some of what the original did and doesn't try to overdo the effects vs the storyline. Can't get sick of hearing about "Strawberry 5".

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Second trailer:

My hopes of this being reasonably realistic are diminishing greatly.

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No.......I had such high hopes.

8. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC