News: Michael Bradley, Geoff Cameron (and more?) comment on Trump's ban

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by naopon, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    Dylan Roof

2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, I totally condemn the actions of Dylan Roof. Just going to say that outright so you can get that dumb little notion out of your head.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  3. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which notion?

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Right now we're gullible enough to be electing them, so don't hold your breath. Trump's idea man from Breitbart that he just put on the National Security Council would prefer you call him a Spartan defender of the Judeo-Christian traditionalist West, which is an oxymoronic hodgepodge that pretty much translates as Christian white supremacist. Besides Islam he's predicting/wants a war with China, btw.

DHC1, orcrist and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Same here

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    when are we gonna change our alliances in the region? dump the Saudis.

Editor In Chimp and orcrist repped this.
  7. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Exactly. :(

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've moved into a general discussion of the current administration. This thread is no longer pertinent enough to the NT to continue. I'm closing it.

9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the poster who pointed this out to me. As it connects directly to the OP I'm going to reopen the thread and tweak the title.

Geoff Cameron has offered his own opinion on the recent executive order.

Please limit the discussion to this issue as it relates to the team. I'll be very quick to remove posts/access to the thread if it turns into a general political wrangle.

Thanks.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff voiced his opinion, which he is entitled to do.

Fair play, I don't agree, but I respect his ability to do so.

sXeWesley and Winoman repped this.
  11. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure some of our players will have a problem with his comments, but I'm interested in hearing how his 5 Muslim Stoke teammates feel about them.

12. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's his right as an american to have an opinion, even if it is racist, unknowledgeable and inconsiderate.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    :confused::eek:

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    sadly we have quite a large segment of Americans with the same view and it's spreading across Europe

15. trafficjam304

trafficjam304 Member

May 28, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love Cameron as a player. I love a lot of people in my life with similar opinions as his and opposite opinions as his.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is Cameron still injured?

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah. Geoff's comments have elicited a predictable response here. "It's cowardly to want players to stick to sports! Why can't they express opinions that happen to mirror my own?" Then, suddenly, another opinion is expressed, and immediately those selfsame people turn on him. Not surprised in the least.

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are people everywhere, sadly, who search for the differences among us, twist them about and try to separate.

It's the playground of Big Soccer.

We're all a part of the whole . . .

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    you have an interesting point and I do concur. though when folks actually say that racist based policies make sense...that's when I wonder wtf is wrong with them

orcrist repped this.
  20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest, Wahl knew what Cameron's answer was going to be before he asked. Drive pageviews.

He'll throw softballs at Gulati for his next interview.

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena waded in today too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...l-ban-i-think-its-sad/?utm_term=.3b0ee059c836

“I think it’s sad because one thing we do in our sport is that we are a global sport,” he said during a wide-ranging interview Thursday. “We travel the world. We meet all kinds of people. And we conclude at the end that they are all beautiful people.

“We have bad people in the world, we have bad people in our country, but clearly a large majority of people are good. It’s fabulous when we can give them an opportunity to be part of our country.”

I highly doubt different opinions in the locker room will affect this team. They have too much to prove in the matches coming up to allow themselves to be distracted.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss something? Seems all the comments are versions of "disagree but respect his right to his opinion"

ayers, Winoman, orcrist and 3 others repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part of Cameron's statement that is particularly ignorant, is not the one that people seem to think it is.

This part is worse:

That's insane. Democracy doesn't stop for 4 years after you've elected someone. As Thomas Jefferson said, dissension is the greatest form of patriotism. He wanted more frequent and local elections so leaders were perpetually held accountable and to prevent tyranny from occurring. His plan isn't plausible today, so to just uphold the spirit, people have to stay informed, and use their voices to achieve that goal. That's tough though with the Rockefellers rather openly indoctrinating people through the education system and the mainstream media proven to regularly try to lead the public astray for corporate sponsors, owners, and government (as outlined by Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" and numerous modern examples could be provided).

My only problems are - where was this under Obama, why weren't more people outraged by Hillary's record which was even more oppressive and unjust than his, and why did the protests start already when Trump's supposedly unprecedented and corporatistic, extremist policies were just rhetoric? It's a massive double standard. It was like much of the American public were asleep because of the aforementioned system. It took a loud-mouthed, orange prick to wake them up, on some things at least. But is this just an excuse to go back to the old establishment ways again?

This part is really the worst though:

How is that reconciled with the fact that according to a Gallup Poll across the world a year and a half ago, the U.S. ranked as the biggest threat to world peace in a landslide. In fact we got 3 times as many votes as any other nation. Bush started two full-fledged wars, and after Obama claimed he'd end those, instead he increased efforts, at least in Afghanistan long after Bin Laden was killed, and then added a whopping 5 more to our total. We are bombing 7 countries now, around the Middle East.

One of them is Yemen, where we're sending drones in to terrorize the public and killing American citizens and their children without trial. Another one is Syria, which reinforces how these wars have nothing to do with American safety these days (if they ever did), since we're on the side of Al Qaeda and ISIS, by supporting and funding Saudi Arabia and Qatar who we've known since at least 9/11 were turning around and doing the same for terrorist groups. This is a fact. They have our weapons, their commanders acknowledge this, it's entailed in the e-mails (100% track record), and people with actual scruples and who've been on the ground there like Hawaii Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard and independent journalists have been telling anybody who'd listen. They also confirm that the people heavily support Al-Assad, even if they didn't like many of his actions. Same was the case toward Sadaam in Iraq, after the Bush administration pivoted toward acting like we were being benevolent, following the terrorist-tie and WMD propaganda lies facilitated by the mainstream media. Trump then has ramped up both these conflicts already, after his campaign promise was that he'd be a non-interventionist peace president, just like it was for Obama and Bush. Now the fear-mongering is being increased about Iran, with similar rhetoric as there was for Iraq. This is why democracy doesn't stop post-election.

Wouldn't it make more sense to finally demand our country stops their involvement in ALL these wars, which are leading to millions of Muslims/Arabs dying, millions more wounded, and becoming refugees; primarily for the interests of oil and Israel (45 of 98 condemnations by U.N. Human Rights' Council have come toward that small country of 8 million, for their actions toward expansionism)? I'm sure that's what Muslims/Arabs care more about, as opposed to not being able to enter our country after we've contributed to displacing them in these ways. Then they wouldn't need to. Afterward, some leeriness is definitely understandable, because we've pissed many off, and they then don't necessarily know how to properly direct that anger. An outright immigration ban is extreme and not what I'd do personally, but it's definitely well within reason to do some serious vetting before we let people into this country, especially from those nations we're attacking directly or indirectly (that just seems obvious), and really no country has an obligation to let anyone new in. Your obligations are to the citizens of your country, those currently residing within your borders, and to not attack those outside them without just cause.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did. Either the mods nipped a few posts in the bud, or people deleted them. Care to re-state, @chad?

Alexisonfire and mbar repped this.
  25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I deleted some posts.

Okay, I give up. I gather that it's unrealistic and unfair for me to expect these threads to follow the guidelines I'm presenting, so, I'm closing this one again.

John McGuirk repped this.