Miazga's Euro tour: OGC Nice - Vitesse thursday 09/28/17 19:00 cest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Yup, the only way to stop that guy was to wack him.
    Buttner subbed, which is good, as he didnot add much to the defense.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt could have pulled a Brooks on that break-away and been a hero, but don't think you can count on that much. He did a decent job on the play, keeper was in a good position. Just got beat by a good play and a heck of a shot. Happens.

HartwickFan repped this.
  3. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Lights out in the stadium

4. :D Happened Vitesse before in a European Cup match against Braga.
    They are so electrifying they blow fuses:p

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fun one- match suspended due to floodlight failure. I remember that happening to me in a high school game, but you'd hope the top league in France would have better facilities.

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Back in business, it seems.

7. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was just about the worst short corner in the history of the game - inches from being a perfectly set-up breakaway. Wow.

8. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good tackle in the box by Miazga, but he then turns the ball over to Nice.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice intercept by MM inside the box. The announcer had him as polish.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Matt got fairly roasted for the third goal there.

11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some strong turf pounding there

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal #3. MM was guarding his man, a teammate screened him, the attacking player continued his run, MM chased him and trying to do a slide block at the last second. Attacker takes a hard shot from 12 yards out on the left side of the goal beating the goalie for the near post.

Gacm32 and HartwickFan repped this.
  13. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Nice. Miazga's tackle on the shooter is late and can't prevent the goal.

HartwickFan repped this.
  14. Ronald de Boer criticized the defense.

[​IMG]
    De Boer kan ogen niet geloven: ‘Hij staat te verdedigen als een korfballer’
    Vrijdag, 29 september 2017 om 08:48

Vitesse verloor donderdagavond ook de tweede groepswedstrijd van de Europa League. Het team van Henk Fraser verloor met 3-0 bij OGC Nice, na eerder ook al van Lazio (2-3) te hebben verloren. Analist Ronald de Boer ergende zich aan de manier waarop Vitesse verdedigde, vooral bij de 1-0.

De Boer oordeelde dat Matt Miazga en Alexander Büttner in de fout gingen. "Ik heb hier zo'n hekel aan", zo verzuchtte hij bij FOX Sports. "Miazga staat te verdedigen als een korfballer. Mensen vallen hier misschien over Büttner, maar het gaat zo snel, dus wat hij hier doet snap ik nog wel. Die bal valt gelukkig bij de tweede paal en dan gaat hij erin
    ."

De Boer can't believe his eyes: "He defends like a korfballer"
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korfball)
    Analist de Boer was annoyed by the way Vitesse defended, especially at the 1-0.
    De Boer judged that both MM andAlexander Büttnerwere at fault. "I hate this so much",
    he sighed at Fox Sports. "Miazga defends like a korfballer. People here might blame Büttner, , but is happens so fast, so what he does here I can get. That ball lands with fortune at the 2nd goal post and then it will be in."

15. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Do I want to know what a korfballer is?

16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basketballer.

17. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Well that's not good.

18. Oh...how so?

19. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I read it as him saying the American is playing soccer like a basketball player. Not exactly a compliment.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Ah, okay, but I think he ment something else. Korfball is the only mixed game in the world (see the wiki link I provided) and defending is man against woman and no contact is allowed. You keep a distance between you and your opponent.

Winoman repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's saying he game him too much space - which is what I thought stood out in the Ajax game. Appears to me MM must play tighter to the man. Seems to want to buy himself a step to turn.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Interesting context. Thanks!

23. Coach Fraser defends Miazga and took aim at some analysts.

De Boer

Fraser doelt bij de analytici op Ronald de Boer. Die vond Matt Miazga verdedigen als een korfballer. ,,Ik noem geen namen, ik spreek de betreffende persoon zelf wel aan”, zegt Fraser. ,,Maar waar het mij om gaat is dat er onzinnige beweringen worden gemaakt. Ga dan zelf eerst eens een team trainen. Bij die goal verliest Miazga een kopduel, maar dat hoeft helemaal geen gevolgen te hebben als er verderop gewoon goed wordt opgelet (doelt op Alexander Büttner die zijn directe tegenstander Alassane Pléa liet lopen, red.). Daar zit namelijk de fout.

"Fraser means with the analysts de Boer. He judged MM to defend like a korfball player. "I donot mention names. I will address the person in question myself", Fraser says. "but what matters to me are the outragious claims being made. Go coach a team yourself first. At that goal Miazga looses a header duel, but that didnot need to have any consquenses at all, if further up just was being payed attention ( means Büttner, who let his direct opponent move away, editor) That's where the blame was."

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Always good for your coach to publically defend you. Although it's never great to have DeBoer call you out publically in the first place.